Killer storm about to hit Northeast will actually save lives.

I don't know about saving lives, but it will most definitely pad my bank account very nicely. I'm stuck here at work (utility company) for the next 4-5 days, doing 12-14 hour shifts at Overtime rates. If this thing goes all the way though the week I could walk away with $2500 in next week's paycheck.

Be careful out there, then when you're off for a few days spend part of that windfall on a long weekend in the Bahamas.

Be careful out there, then when you're off for a few days spend part of that windfall on a long weekend in the Bahamas.

Thankfully I'm an inside worker, and the linemen won't go out until the winds drop below 35mph for safety reasons. We've got a couple things we want to do with the extra money. Then again with the potential for more snow on Friday and Saturday, this might end up being a full week undertaking and that means probably closer to $3500 in my pocket.

I'd like it if the president added a few billion to research into storms! ;)

Govt can't do anything right - because no one wants to. Obozo would give the money to his cronies.

I heard from my friend in Rhode Island. She had 2 feet then a break. It started snowing again a half hour ago.

Strange that. During the break a couple of guys came by with equipment and cleared her door and driveway for $10.00. It's amazing what people do when the government leaves them alone.

I got hosed on Storm OT as did almost everyone else where I work. I ended up having to take a vacation day today to recover and clean crap up outside here at the condo.

I made it down to NJ in time to get on the plane for Orlando : )) We spent 9 days at Disney (Kidani) and had a wonderful time...... I stayed down at my sister's in Jersey for as long as I could, came back a week ago and so missed most of the misery.
The front yard is now at least 4 feet deep in snow: that does NOT include the piles of stuff shoveled from the paths, etc. The back yard has a drift, which made the husband's attempts to 'salt-bomb' the ice dams on the roof 'a tad exciting' as he had to stomp his way through....
We had a brief shower in the kitchen ceiling earlier this week, but amazingly the 'hot spell' (it got up to 40 for a few hours!) and the roof salting did the trick and the dams melted OUTside the walls.
Now all I have to do is hack the congealed mess away from the storm grate in the driveway before everything starts to melt. We found out the hard way that ice stuck to the grate will NOT melt when under water. What happens is that the driveway fills up with 33 degree water, and cars parked near the bottom of the drive (to escape being plowed in at the end, or hit with trees in the middle - yes both of those have happened!) may actually get flooded if the grate is not cleared in time......
I want to go back to Disney World. Today.

The media always lies about this. Highway fatalities will drop enormously during this storm because people will drive much less and much slower and that will more than offset the numbers that die while shoveling snow or in the few highway crashes that will occur.
I wonder how the blizzards effect murders in the Blue Cities.

Daughter is in Boston. Thank goodness it's a small campus. Plus, they've closed down untl Wednesday a.m.
My son, his wife and two sons..with a third son on the way...are near enough to Boston to be called in it....not sure how close they are to the nearest tavern. They don't do alcohol anyway...so they keep a stockpile of canned goods.
Might those canned goods include Sterno?

Alcohol in cans. It's what's for breakfast. :thup:
Yes...in a survival kit...along with a trunk full of camping equipment and -20deg parkas, pants and snowshoes! They be fixed!
I have a full tank of gas and a map to Florida.

Let it rip

Forum List

Back