Zone1 Justified/Justification

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
Justified and righteousness are often translated from the same Biblical word. Judges used that word when something was right or just. English has no such word as "rightified", but we do "justified". Old Testament judges would often have to rule whether an action some saw as questionable was right or wrong. Was the accused justified in what he had done.

A person was just if they were fair in their dealings with others; righteous when they did what was right.

Are we justified, made right, by faith alone? (A phrase, by the way not used by Paul, but by Martin Luther which took hold. Biblically (and ironically?), "Faith alone" was only used by James, who noted "faith alone" was not enough.

Sin kills innocence and builds that estrangement with God, it kills the ideals by which men live, and weakens/destroys the will to do what is right and best.

Christ's life, death, and resurrection redeemed all the world, meaning no one is any longer estranged from God. He accepts and loves us despite our loss of innocence, and the way of salvation has been opened so that we can be with him now and forever. By grace our will has been healed--restored and revived--recreated, we might say.

Paul goes on to tell us why in Ephesians 2:10

For we are God's workmanship, created in Jesus Christ to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

And, James agrees. He says, I will demonstrate my faith to you by my works. (James 2:18)

Pushing aside sin to do what is right, what is just and good--works that God prepared in advanced for us to do--is also a cleansing of the soul, i.e. justification from the traditional Biblical definitions.

Christians who agree with Martin Luther seem to be more of the mind that all that is needed for justification/holiness is to believe in Christ because that belief serves as a mantle over sins. The claim is that sins, while still present, are hidden by the mantle of Christ.

Catholics believe that sins should be overcome and replaced with the good works God provided in advance for us to do.

Hopefully, this will help in the understanding of why Catholics believe as they do. Hopefully it will also help Catholics to understand the thought that sins done by the fallen physical self, are left behind here on earth and do not follow us into the next life.

And naturally, I hope anyone who can present either side better, will help out in this thread. God bless.

Jesus died for every sin- past present and future. thats a fact.
Jesus also called for repentance for the forgiveness of sins. He called for us to discern the will of God and to follow it. Finally, we pray (and do the work) for God's will to be done here on earth as it is in heaven. We are to renew the face of the earth.

Justified and righteousness are often translated from the same Biblical word. Judges used that word when something was right or just. English has no such word as "rightified", but we do "justified". Old Testament judges would often have to rule whether an action some saw as questionable was right or wrong. Was the accused justified in what he had done.

A person was just if they were fair in their dealings with others; righteous when they did what was right.

Are we justified, made right, by faith alone? (A phrase, by the way not used by Paul, but by Martin Luther which took hold. Biblically (and ironically?), "Faith alone" was only used by James, who noted "faith alone" was not enough.

Sin kills innocence and builds that estrangement with God, it kills the ideals by which men live, and weakens/destroys the will to do what is right and best.

Christ's life, death, and resurrection redeemed all the world, meaning no one is any longer estranged from God. He accepts and loves us despite our loss of innocence, and the way of salvation has been opened so that we can be with him now and forever. By grace our will has been healed--restored and revived--recreated, we might say.

Paul goes on to tell us why in Ephesians 2:10

For we are God's workmanship, created in Jesus Christ to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

And, James agrees. He says, I will demonstrate my faith to you by my works. (James 2:18)

Pushing aside sin to do what is right, what is just and good--works that God prepared in advanced for us to do--is also a cleansing of the soul, i.e. justification from the traditional Biblical definitions.

Christians who agree with Martin Luther seem to be more of the mind that all that is needed for justification/holiness is to believe in Christ because that belief serves as a mantle over sins. The claim is that sins, while still present, are hidden by the mantle of Christ.

Catholics believe that sins should be overcome and replaced with the good works God provided in advance for us to do.

Hopefully, this will help in the understanding of why Catholics believe as they do. Hopefully it will also help Catholics to understand the thought that sins done by the fallen physical self, are left behind here on earth and do not follow us into the next life.

And naturally, I hope anyone who can present either side better, will help out in this thread. God bless.
a famoous anti-Catholic ended up Catholic and saw the difference, it starts with Original Sin , which Protestants distort terribly

""Original sin," with us, cannot be called sin, in the mere ordinary sense of the word "sin;" it is a term denoting Adam's sin as transferred to us, or the state to which Adam's sin reduces his children; but by Protestants it seems to be understood as sin, in much the same sense as actual sin. We, with the Fathers, think of it as something negative, Protestants as something positive. Protestants hold that it is a disease, a radical change of nature, an active poison internally corrupting the soul, infecting its primary elements, and disorganizing it.... We hold nothing of the kind

Forum List

Back