Just an American hero

Peach

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2009
I drive by the school,named for him, a friend knew who he was, so I researched it. He threw himself on a hand grenade, saving lives, but not his:

Congressional Medal of Honor - Robert H. Jenkins, Jr.

itation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a machine gunner with Company C, 3d Reconnaissance Battalion, in connection with operations against enemy forces. Early in the morning Pfc. Jenkins' 12-man reconnaissance team was occupying a defensive position at Fire Support Base Argonne south of the Demilitarized Zone. Suddenly, the marines were assaulted by a North Vietnamese Army platoon employing mortars, automatic weapons, and hand grenades. Reacting instantly, Pfc. Jenkins and another marine quickly moved into a 2-man fighting emplacement, and as they boldly delivered accurate machinegun fire against the enemy, a North Vietnamese soldier threw a hand grenade into the friendly emplacement. Fully realizing the inevitable results of his actions, Pfc. Jenkins quickly seized his comrade, and pushing the man to the ground, he leaped on top of the marine to shield him from the explosion. Absorbing the full impact of the detonation, Pfc. Jenkins was seriously injured and subsequently succumbed to his wounds. His courage, inspiring valor and selfless devotion to duty saved a fellow marine from serious injury or possible death and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

JenkinsRH01c.jpg

Last edited:
A park named after him in Putnam County, and The Veteran's Domiciliary Home three counties away.

Yes, it was in the article copied. And your thoughts on this selfless, brave man?

SALUTE to him.....
there are so many 'unknown' actions like this in all wars--for every country
.....you have some men trying to KILL the ''other'' men, and then some men like this risking their lives trying to save men on ''their side'''

by the way, I don't who specifically wrote this, but 'Marines' should be capitalized ...odd that the DOD would not know this​

Here is the link; I remembered him, found the first report with the photo I remembered. He was raised in INTERLACHEN, not too far from my hometown.

Forum List

Back