Jonah Goldberg: Liberals panicking over possibility of a 2016 repeat

With the exception being that nearly all the "never Trumpers" are neocon Bushies...Those people are about as "conservative" (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean anymore) as LBJ.

People would be wise to remember that the never Trump noise level was 10x higher in 2016 and Trump still won. Trump has a LOT more support from the GOP in 2020 then he had in 2016 when a much larger never Trump group supported Hillary. 4 years of 3 SCOTUS nominations, an historic tax cut, staunch 2nd amendment defense has won over many of the 2016 never Trump crowd. The only never Trump people making noise in 2020 are washed up GOP politicians and swamp rats looking for a government job under Biden.

He has more than proven himself to all but the hard core establishment Republicans.

Trump has exposed the hard core establishment Republicans as incompetent hacks who couldn't win their way out of a wet paper bag. Multiple middle east peace agreements BAM! Historic tax reform and cuts BAM! Winning over black and Hispanic voters BAM! Standing up to and bitch slapping the liberal news media BAM! KILLING terrorist leaders without sinking us into a $10 trillion dollar foreign war BAM!

None of the Bush losers came even close. That John Kasich loser from Ohio, not even a contest vs Trump. Even the mighty Reagan is looking a bit lacking compared to Trump's achievements.

I do like how Ted Cruz is maturing as a leader. I think he's taking some pointers from Trump. Love the beard Ted get ready for a 2024 run you are my guy so far.

The 2016 election lives loudly in everybody right now.

On the Trumpian right, “the polls were wrong before” isn’t merely an observation, it’s a catechism.

And on the anti-Trumpian left, it’s a constant source of anxiety bordering on panic. It’s making a lot of folks a little crazy.

My friend John Podhoretz, conservative editor of Commentary Magazine, pointed this out to me a few months ago. He lives in New York City, surrounded by Upper West Side liberals prone to flights of jangly rage if you suggest that Joe Biden has the race in the bag.

“Don’t jinx it! That’s what people said in 2016!” they shout.

Since then, it’s only gotten worse. The fear that the country could reelect President Trump after so much muchness these last four years is almost an existential dread, manifesting as quick-tempered outrage at anyone or anything that might upset Biden’s trajectory.

BJ - and Jonah is a full blown Anti-Trumper

I used to like jonah...till he turned into a Never-Trump moron..........

Why did you used to like him? His conservative values?

Yes.....he is a conservative and I also enjoyed his book "Liberal Fascism." But then he became a Never-Trumper in the face of hilary clinton possibly being President....that showed that he is an idiot.....who doesn't understand the fight, and is the type of republican who let the democrat party throw sand in their face without responding......

If he had had his way, and Trump had lost the election....hilary clinton would be appointing the 3rd Supreme Court pick to the Supreme Court and packing the federal bench with left wing, democrat party activists dressed in robes.....

And it was one thing to be afraid of Trump in 2016 when he was unknown other than being a New York, likely democrat, with no track record....but we now have over 3 years of actual Trump achievements.......ranking him as one of the best conservative Presidents in my lifetime and at least in the last 60 years...... fullfilling all of the things that republican politicians have promised but never delivered on.....all the while fighting both the democrat party and the republican party to get it done..

On top of that, we know that obama, biden and the democrat party leadership used the FBI, CIA, DOJ, and state dept. to get illegal FISA warrants to spy on Trump, and used the FBI to destroy General Flynn.....

Jonah Goldberg's opposition to Trump makes no rational sense in any way shape or form...

On the Trumpian right, “the polls were wrong before” isn’t merely an observation, it’s a catechism.

And on the anti-Trumpian left, it’s a constant source of anxiety bordering on panic. It’s making a lot of folks a little crazy.

My friend John Podhoretz, conservative editor of Commentary Magazine, pointed this out to me a few months ago. He lives in New York City, surrounded by Upper West Side liberals prone to flights of jangly rage if you suggest that Joe Biden has the race in the bag.

Since then, it’s only gotten worse. The fear that the country could reelect President Trump after so much muchness these last four years is almost an existential dread, manifesting as quick-tempered outrage at anyone or anything that might upset Biden’s trajectory.

Yes.....he is a conservative and I also enjoyed his book "Liberal Fascism." But then he became a Never-Trumper in the face of hilary clinton possibly being President....that showed that he is an idiot.....who doesn't understand the fight, and is the type of republican who let the democrat party throw sand in their face without responding......

If he had had his way, and Trump had lost the election....hilary clinton would be appointing the 3rd Supreme Court pick to the Supreme Court and packing the federal bench with left wing, democrat party activists dressed in robes.....

And it was one thing to be afraid of Trump in 2016 when he was unknown other than being a New York, likely democrat, with no track record....but we now have over 3 years of actual Trump achievements.......ranking him as one of the best conservative Presidents in my lifetime and at least in the last 60 years...... fullfilling all of the things that republican politicians have promised but never delivered on.....all the while fighting both the democrat party and the republican party to get it done..

On top of that, we know that obama, biden and the democrat party leadership used the FBI, CIA, DOJ, and state dept. to get illegal FISA warrants to spy on Trump, and used the FBI to destroy General Flynn.....

Jonah Goldberg's opposition to Trump makes no rational sense in any way shape or form...

He didn't support Clinton over Trump. Goldberg holds all the same principles he had when you liked him. That means you changed not him.

I'd say the Dems have a lot to worry about.

Every poll, pundit and talking head told America Hitlery would be POTUS in 2016.

Surprise.

Polls mean jack shit as 2016 proved.

If you look at other factors......Trump is likely to win...historical precedent shows that the candidate that wins the most votes during the primary wins the election...the group that studies that says this analysis goes back to 1912....Trump had 18.2 million primary votes......breaking the record....obama had like 9 million for his re-election........

It may be close because of democrat party cheating....but historically speaking Trump is in a good place to win.

He didn't support Clinton over Trump. Goldberg holds all the same principles he had when you liked him. That means you changed not him.

No......neither of us changed, he just doesn't understand the fight.....he doesn't see the democrat party as the existential threat to this country that it actually is....which is why he could be so against Trump and so unconcerned about hilary winning....

No......neither of us changed, he just doesn't understand the fight.....he doesn't see the democrat party as the existential threat to this country that it actually is....which is why he could be so against Trump and so unconcerned about hilary winning....

Very little has changed in the last 12 years.

Well Goldberg is a well known Conservative so it only makes sense he wouldn't support Trump.

But also a Never Trumper, Comrade.

As I said, of course he is a never Trumper. He is a Conservative (and has nothing to do with Biden).

You’re one of the worried libs the article is talking about, aren’t you?

"Lib"? I support balancing the budget. Protecting the 2nd Amendment (and the rest of them). Keeping the electoral college. I'm pro-life.

You?

Yeah...expand a little......do you believe in gun registration, licensing, banning magazines or any types of guns, in particular the AR-15 rifle and others like it....?

Jonah most certainly changed.
He will probably change back at some point
Which makes him even worse.
The sad part is that President Trump is doing all the things that the Never Trumpers have said that they wanted done for 30 years - ( they just didn't mean it)

Well Goldberg is a well known Conservative so it only makes sense he wouldn't support Trump.

But also a Never Trumper, Comrade.

As I said, of course he is a never Trumper. He is a Conservative (and has nothing to do with Biden).

You’re one of the worried libs the article is talking about, aren’t you?

"Lib"? I support balancing the budget. Protecting the 2nd Amendment (and the rest of them). Keeping the electoral college. I'm pro-life.

You?

Yeah...expand a little......do you believe in gun registration, licensing, banning magazines or any types of guns, in particular the AR-15 rifle and others like it....?

No, I do not believe there should be any restrictions. I most certainly do not support Trump's idea of tossing due process aside.

Jonah most certainly changed.
He will probably change back at some point
Which makes him even worse.
The sad part is that President Trump is doing all the things that the Never Trumpers have said that they wanted done for 30 years - ( they just didn't mean it)

What position has he changed on?

More has changed in the last 4 - for the better - than the preceding 24.

Allow me to repeat..since you are pretending to not understand...

And yet we are discussing how he was well liked.

Does my Avie say "neocon?"

I never voted for anyone named BUSH in my life.

Until a few days ago I hadn't voted for Trump either. Now I PROUDLY have. He's not perfect, but the best I've seen in my lifetime. BY A LONG SHOT.

If empty rhetoric is your thing.................................It's not Goldberg's.

More has changed in the last 4 - for the better - than the preceding 24.

Little to nothing has changed outside of having a president that believes insults are presidential.

Allow me to repeat..since you are pretending to not understand...

Trump doesn't support what he does (and what you once supported him over). Trump has accomplished little to nothing.

Forum List

Back