It's Friday and I wonder what it would be like...

Honest, it just doesn't sound that bad to me.

Then practice it.

Turn the AC off on July first and don't turn it back on until the 31st.

Get up and cook 3 meals everyday. [if you work, take a sandwich for lunch]

Be prepared to do lots of laundry, by hand, b/c of all the sweat funk you and your family will have.

no tv, radio, phones, lights, etc.

no taking the car anywhere. use the bus, since you may not have a horse and buggy.

Sounds like life when I first moved out of my parents. Lol
We didn't have ac, I did manual labor all day at my job, and we for sure didn't watch much tv. We only got PBS and NBC. I never ate out and I either walked or took the bus every where. I was Also in the best shape of my life.

Same here.

I put Ramen in a pot and put it in the window before I left for work so I would have something to eat for diner.

I don't do that anymore. do you?

Well the typical Amish woman is up before the sun comes up. She starts a fire for the rest of the family. Everybody first does morning chores--feeding pigs and chickens, cleaning the pens, gathering eggs, milking the cow and goats. Then she prepares a breakfast of eggs, pancakes, fried potatoes, shoofly pie, canned fruit, milk, juice, and cereal. After prayers they all eat, afterschool chores are assigned, lunches are prepared for the men going off to work; for the kids going to school.

She then does the laundry by hand, hangs the wash on an outdoor line to dry, more tending to the livestock, mow the lawn with a push mower, tend the garden and harvest ready crops, pull the weeds, mend the clothes by hand, do some work on making new clothes by hand. The house must be thoroughly cleaned daily including scrubbing floors. Clothing has to be ironed with a flat iron heated on the wood burning cookstove. Wood for the stove has to be split, carried, and stacked. Honey hives harvested. Meats cured and canning is essential to get the family through the winter.

Any time left over is used for making quilts or engaging in other money making activities as she is not expected to be the primary breadwinner of the family, but is expected to bring in some income.

Catch, kill, pluck a chicken for a fully cooked and nourishing dinner that must be on the table for supper and then there are more evening chores tending livestock, doing repairs, or working on crafts to sell. Clean chimneys on kerosine lanterns and refill. Evening prayers and bed.

Get up in the morning and do it all over again.

And all without electricity, radio, television, hair dryes, telephones, labor saving appliances. Some 'modernized' Amish are cheating a bit these days by using small gasoline powered generators for some limited appliances I believe. And there is no rule that the Amish cannot accept help from neighbors who have more modern equipment. They regularly use other folks' telephones.

I think it would be a blast for maybe a week. After that I will want my washing machine, electric range, computer, and radio back. :)

Then practice it.

Turn the AC off on July first and don't turn it back on until the 31st.

Get up and cook 3 meals everyday. [if you work, take a sandwich for lunch]

Be prepared to do lots of laundry, by hand, b/c of all the sweat funk you and your family will have.

no tv, radio, phones, lights, etc.

no taking the car anywhere. use the bus, since you may not have a horse and buggy.

We didn't have ac, I did manual labor all day at my job, and we for sure didn't watch much tv. We only got PBS and NBC. I never ate out and I either walked or took the bus every where. I was Also in the best shape of my life.

Same here.

I put Ramen in a pot and put it in the window before I left for work so I would have something to eat for diner.

I couldn't eat ramen for years after that. Lol
I remembEr just not eating becAuse I was sick Of it. I would go a whole day without eating, then wake up in the middle of the night because my stomach was screaming.

Funny thing is my parents would have given me money for food, but I just didn't want to ask. I had to do it on my own. Lol

We have tons of them around here. You have to be careful. Confusing Amish with Mennonites leads to unhappy folks in front of you.

How do you satisfy an Amish woman?

Two Mennonite.

Excuse me, I htink you meant why would you, not how do you. My life experiences indicate women are not satified EVER. Particularly not with a man involved.

Same here.

I couldn't eat ramen for years after that. Lol
I remembEr just not eating becAuse I was sick Of it. I would go a whole day without eating, then wake up in the middle of the night because my stomach was screaming.

Yeah, there was more than one night I would sit there and stare into the pot, grinding the dull end of a fork into my forehead.
~~~blek~~~~

My kids eat it. It's easy to make and they can have all they want, I just can't bring myself to eat any of it.

to be Amish.

I'm strangely drawn by their way of life and yes, even their clothes.

What's up with that?

Or maybe a Quaker. I find that whole bunch fascinating as well.

Mennonite, the modern Amish. And no, the Amish don't use deodorant.

17th century was uncool. 30 years war. English civl war. Richelieu. Ottoman empire reaches to Vienna. No Internet. Cholera. Smallpox. Witch Trials.

21st century is so much cooler.

While I'm thinking about it, nothing says "Amish" like shoofly pie.

Recipe we obtained from an Amish lady friend some years ago:

You'll need 1 pie crust. (To really do Amish you'll make a perfect super flaky crust with real lard from scratch. This lady could make pie crush so exquisite it melted in your mouth. I usually buy mine. :))

Crumb mixture:
cut about 2/3 cup brown sugar and about 1 cup flour into 1 Tblspn solid shortening until crumbly. Reserve a half cup or so of this mixture to use for a topping.

Rest of Filling:
1 cup molasses (the thicker the better)
¾ cup boiling water
1 egg beaten
1 Tspn baking soda

Combine soda with boiling water, then add egg and syrup. Remove from heat immediately.
Barely stir in crumb mixture (this will be lumpy).

Pour into unbaked pie crust and cover with reserved crumbs.
Bake 375 degrees for 10 minutes - reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for another 30 to 45 minutes or until firm.

Sometime the bottom of the pie will be 'wet' when the pie is cut into, but that is typical Amish 'wet bottom' pie and is okay.

If you really want to experience something similar hook up with a Civil War reenacting/living history group and find a week long event to attend as a participant.

I couldn't help but notice there are no flies in the recipe.

They come later, while the pie is on the counter or the table. Those aren't raisins, if you see raisins there's something terribly wrong.

to be Amish.

What's up with that?

So, your secret fantasy is to live a repressed life, only doing what men order you to do, dressed in hot clothes from top to bottom?

It would be faster (and probably more fun) to just go to a domination nightclub.

Er...no, that's not my fantasy.

My fantasy is to bake bread every day, work with horses and not have to worry about what I'm going to wear. Bible study at night with the kids. It sounds wonderful.

BTW Gaybiker, you appear to be as ignorant about the lifestyles of Quakers and the Amish as you are about everything else.

Quakers have always supported women's rights. And a woman figured very prominently in the establishment of the society.

to be Amish.

What's up with that?

So, your secret fantasy is to live a repressed life, only doing what men order you to do, dressed in hot clothes from top to bottom?

It would be faster (and probably more fun) to just go to a domination nightclub.

Funny thing, perspective.........

Roles of Amish Women | Serendip's Exchange

to be Amish.

What's up with that?

Dude, that was uncalled for.

to be Amish.

What's up with that?

Do the Amish get to have the internets?

If so, I'm in.

Forum List

Back