Lipush

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Where the wild things are
Wishing all Jews on board a lovely, relaxed, and enjoyable Passover

May HaShem bless you all
m1202.gif

Preparing_For_The_Seder_by_Mr_Fufflesworth.jpg

Im at my parents house now for the seder. Everywhere else but Israel we have two consecutive seders in two nights

What do you do for Seder Lipush?

Hi.

We were having a seder night over a friends house in Berlin. It was awesome.

Sure thing looking forward coming back home soon. Was nice seeing Berlin for a week, but the weather is just over the top cold here. -7 feeliing like -13, while at home its 35c.:eek:

Im waiting for my aunt´s Matya Brei. yum!

Hi.

Sure thing looking forward coming back home soon. Was nice seeing Berlin for a week, but the weather is just over the top cold here. -7 feeliing like -13, while at home its 35c.:eek:

My mother used to work in an international collaborative heart research project and one of the countries they worked with was Israel. Several of the visiting researches were in the US over Passover and we were all invited over to her boss' house for Seder. I had never been to one before, and we sampled each of the ritual foods, and learned the stories associated with them. The only one I actually remember was a chopped apple/nut dish that represented mortor. :)

Charoset - and I can tell you, those were Ashkenazim, Coyote. LOL, we had that kind, an apricot/craisin/pecan version (a little cinnamon, nutmeg and honey in with the wine there) - and a peach/pineapple/orange kind with macademia nuts.

I'm not certain which was the most popular: my son really liked the apricot/craisin one I made (slightly 'cooked', so it was very sticky), which is a twist on the Sephardi apricot/date usual. I dunno where my one friend got the exotica, but she's a GOOOOOD! cook and this was no exception. My and husband and hers, though, opted for the 'traditional' Ashkenazi version - the rest of us were LOL'ing at those two because they qualify for membership in the Mayflower Society (ie, descendants of people from that one ship)....they are, as we noted 'WASP-er than WASP' by ancestry.

Very few were brave enough to try the gefilte fish - so oh poor me, I'll be having it for lunch the rest of the week. What the husband doesn't grab for a midnight snack.

'Twas a great Seder, although there were only 9 of us... So only 3 different cakes for dessert - aside from the 'traditional' macaroons and raspberry ring gels. We traded off the leftovers so each household had more variety.

And I just noticed my potato starch box has a banana cake recipe right on the side, so that's what's going to happen with the 'nanas I eschewed to chew for breakfast today : ))

Hope 'all y'all' had as good a time as we did : ))

Lipush, you will appreciate this - the son chops onions for me for the matzoh brei : )) It only requires, per our family's tradition, about a 3/8" solid layer of finely minced onion covering the bottom of the pan - so that it's basically still a solid layer once caramelized : ))

Lipush, you will appreciate this - the son chops onions for me for the matzoh brei : )) It only requires, per our family's tradition, about a 3/8" solid layer of finely minced onion covering the bottom of the pan - so that it's basically still a solid layer once caramelized : ))

oh gee---I want to know----uhm I like the savory stuff----in my ashkenazi childhood
matzoh brei was sweet---something like matzoh french toast---but I did get some
good stuff-----once in the home of a jew from bombay (mumbai) -----send
recipes

it was terrific-----both nights ------and now
A MERRY PASSOVER TO ALL---AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT
~~~~~~~~~~~galloping off in my celestial chariot

Granny says someday she'd like to see the seder of Lebanon...
:redface:
Army chaplain’s Passover seder a draw across Europe
March 26, 2013 — Break out the Haggadah and crack the matza — Passover has arrived at this small Army garrison, where U.S. Army Europe’s only Jewish chaplain is holding services for the second straight year.
Capt. Andrew Shulman of the 18th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion guided participants in the first of four Passover seders on Monday, a meal that commemorates the Jewish exodus from Egypt and the tale of an angel of death passing over homes marked with the blood of a lamb. The holiday began at sundown on Monday and continues through next Tuesday.

The Monday seder drew families from across USAREUR posts, including Baumholder, Kaiserslautern and Schweinfurt. Wine, grape juice and matza — flat, unleavened bread — were laid out on the tables, and attendees turned to their Haggadahs, the Passover text in English and Hebrew, to participate in the service. “Everything hints toward slavery or freedom tonight,” Shulman said of the service and the food.

image.jpg

Capt. Andrew Shulman breaks a piece of matza during Monday's Passover Seder in Grafenwohr, Germany. Shulman, U.S. Army Europe's only Jewish chaplain, is hosting four Seders during the holiday.

Capt. Andrew Altman, commander of a signal company in Baumholder, attended Shulman’s seder for the second year in a row. He knew the chaplain from a Passover he held in Iraq several years back, he said. Shulman says he’s one of two Jewish chaplains in Europe, the other with the Air Force, at Ramstein Air Base.

While he has personal relationships with many of the participants at his seders, other guests are a surprise, he said, including several Germans who live outside one of the post gates. “You’ll find that at Passover they come out of the woodwork,” Shulman said.

Source

Hi.

My mother used to work in an international collaborative heart research project and one of the countries they worked with was Israel. Several of the visiting researches were in the US over Passover and we were all invited over to her boss' house for Seder. I had never been to one before, and we sampled each of the ritual foods, and learned the stories associated with them. The only one I actually remember was a chopped apple/nut dish that represented mortor. :)

My favorite part is the Hagaddah reading, even though we many times didn´t get to the end of it. The wine does its trick in the beginning. lol.

Nice to see you still have great memories of it.

Charoset - and I can tell you, those were Ashkenazim, Coyote. LOL, we had that kind, an apricot/craisin/pecan version (a little cinnamon, nutmeg and honey in with the wine there) - and a peach/pineapple/orange kind with macademia nuts.

I'm not certain which was the most popular: my son really liked the apricot/craisin one I made (slightly 'cooked', so it was very sticky), which is a twist on the Sephardi apricot/date usual. I dunno where my one friend got the exotica, but she's a GOOOOOD! cook and this was no exception. My and husband and hers, though, opted for the 'traditional' Ashkenazi version - the rest of us were LOL'ing at those two because they qualify for membership in the Mayflower Society (ie, descendants of people from that one ship)....they are, as we noted 'WASP-er than WASP' by ancestry.

Very few were brave enough to try the gefilte fish - so oh poor me, I'll be having it for lunch the rest of the week. What the husband doesn't grab for a midnight snack.

'Twas a great Seder, although there were only 9 of us... So only 3 different cakes for dessert - aside from the 'traditional' macaroons and raspberry ring gels. We traded off the leftovers so each household had more variety.

And I just noticed my potato starch box has a banana cake recipe right on the side, so that's what's going to happen with the 'nanas I eschewed to chew for breakfast today : ))

Yuck, gefilte eachks.
t9404.gif

hated it. still do.:cool:

9 for the Seder is cool
m1218.gif
My family has the tradition to have the Seder at my aunts house. with all the family. ALL the family. And since were mixed one (my mothers family is Ashkenazi Russian, uncle married an Iraqi Jew) it mostly includes 40+ people. which is at times just SO MANY people with so NOT ENOUGH chairs. lol!

3 kinds of cakes is also cool. must not forget the calories (on Pesach_ LMFAO)

Have a gread holiday, sweetie:tongue:

I don´t like onion that much. we use alot of cheese to cover up for it. but im willing to give it a try, what the heck

Hi.

My favorite part is the Hagaddah reading, even though we many times didn´t get to the end of it. The wine does its trick in the beginning. lol.

Nice to see you still have great memories of it.

:lol: the wine was good ;)

I admit - I couldn't (and still can't) stomach "gefilte fish" - just looking at it turns my stomach:redface:

That is interesting the differences in tradition :)

Forum List

Back