It is the Seder night

I wouldn't blame anyone for not liking gefilte fish just on sight.... but nobody in their right mind is going to take the stuff straight out of the jar and plop it onto a plate!

Oh, no! First, you have to add a potato, some celery and a carrot - or better yet, a parsnip! - to that jellied fish broth, and simmer the fish for a half an hour. Then you take it out, pat the pieces dry and lay them out on a baking sheet. You mix some oil with paprika (sweet, not hot!) and whatever seasonings you like, and gently rub that all over each piece of fish. And then you put it into the oven for just a few minutes to get a nice glazed look...... Before you put it into the fridge to cool, you take a carrot and carve 'v' notches lengthwise all around it, so when you cut very thin slices, it looks like flowers. And you decorate each piece of fish with a couple of carrot-flowers - use the stems off the parsley for the stems, and I like to use slivers of cucumber for leaves.

Now that the fish is properly dressed, it's ready for the table - on its bed of baby greens, and with a little dab of horseradish sauce to keep it company. Presentation is important!

We do add carots, but there are so many things worth waiting for in the Seder...the gefilte will be the last one on my list.

In Berlin its very difficult to keep Pesach Kosher, since being all day out, in the freeying cold, you gotta take alot of calories to keep the body heat. There is no Matza in sight and only very fattening bread is to be found here:(

Sure enough, going back homewill be much more helpful in that area, lolz.

presentation is one thing----Marge does it so METICULOUSLY and
ELABORATELY---I am surprised she did not start her instructions
with----HOW TO BAIT THE FISH HOOK.

I think it's 'Jewish mothers': my Sephardi cousins-in-law are fond of saying "I'll sleep in the ground - 'til then, I'm busy!" You couldn't visit them without being put to work in the kitchen, and if you chatted too long with your fingers still, it was 'Yeleleh! Trabajo!' - always with a laugh, though!

I really miss those days : (( I was one of the younger ones, and the old crowd has broken up and moved on, as is the way of the world.

I think it's 'Jewish mothers': my Sephardi cousins-in-law are fond of saying "I'll sleep in the ground - 'til then, I'm busy!" You couldn't visit them without being put to work in the kitchen, and if you chatted too long with your fingers still, it was 'Yeleleh! Trabajo!' - always with a laugh, though!

I really miss those days : (( I was one of the younger ones, and the old crowd has broken up and moved on, as is the way of the world.
Sounds delightful. Do you have any photos from those days to share?

My Sis has most of them, right now they're tucked away as she's re-doing her place.

We couldn't visit most of my Mom's relatives without bringing along some mending or sewing for them to busy themselves with..... they'd sit and talk and sew, drinking hot tea with lemon from tall glasses, drinking it *through* a sugar cube clenched between their teeth (which were still their real teeth). I never could get the hang of that.

Oh, yeah, I know these days. my Aunt's exactly like that. its indeed all with love, though!

Forum List

Back