It is the Seder night

Charoset - and I can tell you, those were Ashkenazim, Coyote. LOL, we had that kind, an apricot/craisin/pecan version (a little cinnamon, nutmeg and honey in with the wine there) - and a peach/pineapple/orange kind with macademia nuts.

I'm not certain which was the most popular: my son really liked the apricot/craisin one I made (slightly 'cooked', so it was very sticky), which is a twist on the Sephardi apricot/date usual. I dunno where my one friend got the exotica, but she's a GOOOOOD! cook and this was no exception. My and husband and hers, though, opted for the 'traditional' Ashkenazi version - the rest of us were LOL'ing at those two because they qualify for membership in the Mayflower Society (ie, descendants of people from that one ship)....they are, as we noted 'WASP-er than WASP' by ancestry.

Very few were brave enough to try the gefilte fish - so oh poor me, I'll be having it for lunch the rest of the week. What the husband doesn't grab for a midnight snack.

'Twas a great Seder, although there were only 9 of us... So only 3 different cakes for dessert - aside from the 'traditional' macaroons and raspberry ring gels. We traded off the leftovers so each household had more variety.

And I just noticed my potato starch box has a banana cake recipe right on the side, so that's what's going to happen with the 'nanas I eschewed to chew for breakfast today : ))

Hope 'all y'all' had as good a time as we did : ))

I admit - I couldn't (and still can't) stomach "gefilte fish" - just looking at it turns my stomach:redface:

That is interesting the differences in tradition :)
Try coating the fish with peanut butter and add a dollop of whipped cream. Amazing taste!

Charoset - and I can tell you, those were Ashkenazim, Coyote. LOL, we had that kind, an apricot/craisin/pecan version (a little cinnamon, nutmeg and honey in with the wine there) - and a peach/pineapple/orange kind with macademia nuts.

I'm not certain which was the most popular: my son really liked the apricot/craisin one I made (slightly 'cooked', so it was very sticky), which is a twist on the Sephardi apricot/date usual. I dunno where my one friend got the exotica, but she's a GOOOOOD! cook and this was no exception. My and husband and hers, though, opted for the 'traditional' Ashkenazi version - the rest of us were LOL'ing at those two because they qualify for membership in the Mayflower Society (ie, descendants of people from that one ship)....they are, as we noted 'WASP-er than WASP' by ancestry.

Very few were brave enough to try the gefilte fish - so oh poor me, I'll be having it for lunch the rest of the week. What the husband doesn't grab for a midnight snack.

'Twas a great Seder, although there were only 9 of us... So only 3 different cakes for dessert - aside from the 'traditional' macaroons and raspberry ring gels. We traded off the leftovers so each household had more variety.

And I just noticed my potato starch box has a banana cake recipe right on the side, so that's what's going to happen with the 'nanas I eschewed to chew for breakfast today : ))

Hope 'all y'all' had as good a time as we did : ))

I admit - I couldn't (and still can't) stomach "gefilte fish" - just looking at it turns my stomach:redface:

That is interesting the differences in tradition :)
Try coating the fish with peanut butter and add a dollop of whipped cream. Amazing taste!

Couldn't you have waited til AFTER lunch?:redface:

A Passover message from the troops.

IDF Soldiers Wish You A Happy Passover!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUawNWlihdgaycQpO3zi-jYg&v=mOZq7p0m8is&feature=player_detailpage]IDF Soldiers Wish You A Happy Passover! - YouTube[/ame]

Hilarious thing for those who can understand Hebrew LMAO

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llm0cuj1v4I]???? ????'???? ???? ??? ???????? ?????!?? - YouTube[/ame]

Bill, you are NOT a nice person. Fortunately, my mother's Passover brownie recipe is good enough to help me hold out for the entire week : ))

"We were having a seder night over a friends house in Berlin. It was awesome. Sure thing looking forward coming back home soon. Was nice seeing Berlin for a week"

mmm, berlin. only a week ? did'ja ....
drama.gif
get "bored" at all while you were there ? (i know you 'bore' easily...)
MsgPlus_Img1327.png

I don't know, Bill. Can you imagine how the Christian Lebanese owners of Middle East grocery stores feel when they see they have to carry products from Muslim countries, knowing that their fellow Christians are being killed because they are considered Infidels? However, they are probably happy to see the Muslim housewives have no problems with putting Israeli products in their shopping cart.

I don't know, Bill. Can you imagine how the Christian Lebanese owners of Middle East grocery stores feel when they see they have to carry products from Muslim countries, knowing that their fellow Christians are being killed because they are considered Infidels? However, they are probably happy to see the Muslim housewives have no problems with putting Israeli products in their shopping cart.

"In the first decades of Israel's existence, anti-German feelings were strong and dominant in Israeli society. There was a widespread cultural and commercial boycott of all things German (and often, Austrian as well) and a determination "never to set foot on German soil."

"In the first decades of Israel's existence, anti-German feelings were strong and dominant in Israeli society. There was a widespread cultural and commercial boycott of all things German (and often, Austrian as well) and a determination "never to set foot on German soil."
Why, Bill, can you blame the Jews for not wanting to buy German products after millions of their fellow Jews were killed by Hitler and his gang? I wouldn't blame the Hindus if they didn't want to buy products from Muslims since the Muslims murdered millions of Hindus. Meanwhile, Bill, why not go into Middle East stores which are usually owned by Lebanese Christians and tell the Muslim women who are buying Israeli products that it is just a no no to do that. I wonder if Bill was one of those who organized a boycott at the Trader Joe's chain of stores (which was a bust) because they were selling products from Israel. It's a shame that years ago when the NeoNazis and Palestinians in Germany were protesting against the Jews (Bill can pay a few cents to read the story in the Los Angeles Times Archives entitled East Meets West) that Bill didn't join them. This protest would have been right up his alley.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not liking gefilte fish just on sight.... but nobody in their right mind is going to take the stuff straight out of the jar and plop it onto a plate!

Oh, no! First, you have to add a potato, some celery and a carrot - or better yet, a parsnip! - to that jellied fish broth, and simmer the fish for a half an hour. Then you take it out, pat the pieces dry and lay them out on a baking sheet. You mix some oil with paprika (sweet, not hot!) and whatever seasonings you like, and gently rub that all over each piece of fish. And then you put it into the oven for just a few minutes to get a nice glazed look...... Before you put it into the fridge to cool, you take a carrot and carve 'v' notches lengthwise all around it, so when you cut very thin slices, it looks like flowers. And you decorate each piece of fish with a couple of carrot-flowers - use the stems off the parsley for the stems, and I like to use slivers of cucumber for leaves.

Now that the fish is properly dressed, it's ready for the table - on its bed of baby greens, and with a little dab of horseradish sauce to keep it company. Presentation is important!

Oh, and you also can use those carrot flowers to decorate the chicken soup - only for the stems there, we prefer to use chives.....

I wouldn't blame anyone for not liking gefilte fish just on sight.... but nobody in their right mind is going to take the stuff straight out of the jar and plop it onto a plate!

Oh, no! First, you have to add a potato, some celery and a carrot - or better yet, a parsnip! - to that jellied fish broth, and simmer the fish for a half an hour. Then you take it out, pat the pieces dry and lay them out on a baking sheet. You mix some oil with paprika (sweet, not hot!) and whatever seasonings you like, and gently rub that all over each piece of fish. And then you put it into the oven for just a few minutes to get a nice glazed look...... Before you put it into the fridge to cool, you take a carrot and carve 'v' notches lengthwise all around it, so when you cut very thin slices, it looks like flowers. And you decorate each piece of fish with a couple of carrot-flowers - use the stems off the parsley for the stems, and I like to use slivers of cucumber for leaves.

Now that the fish is properly dressed, it's ready for the table - on its bed of baby greens, and with a little dab of horseradish sauce to keep it company. Presentation is important!
What about the peanut butter and whipped cream?

There are many Jew and Israelis who boycott Germany till doday. They see it as a cursed place.

I think its important to visit, not just because its a beautiful state, but to prove ourselves we can move on and live and exist without the constant shadow of the Holocaust.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back