anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
There is a lot of criticism on vanity in the USA for a few decades now. But isn't vanity that protects you from becoming a big slob? Today, with vanity downplayed, people give up their looks for comfort junk food and laziness. If vanity were put back on the honor list, people would exercise, eat, and generally take care of themselves much better than recently. Your take?

Vanity is good. Ego is good(men only, sorry girls),Agression is good(men only, sorry girls), PRIDE IS GOOD.

fuck looney lefties.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Dress smartly,lead a healthy lifestyle and have clean habits.Respect yourself and respect your parents.
All of this is a Methodist creed.

Vanity can fall into narcissism and can lead to such nonsense as beard oil, man buns and the shaving of genital areas.
This is to be avoided at all costs.

There is a lot of criticism on vanity in the USA for a few decades now. But isn't vanity that protects you from becoming a big slob? Today, with vanity downplayed, people give up their looks for comfort junk food and laziness. If vanity were put back on the honor list, people would exercise, eat, and generally take care of themselves much better than recently. Your take?

I don't believe it is vain to want to be healthy, dress nice or look proper in life. Vanity is having a high opinion of yourself and wanting to feel and look good is never vain to me.

Just my opinion...

Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Dress smartly,lead a healthy lifestyle and have clean habits.Respect yourself and respect your parents.
All of this is a Methodist creed.

Vanity can fall into narcissism and can lead to such nonsense as beard oil, man buns and the shaving of genital areas.
This is to be avoided at all costs.

What are man buns? Also, why do you need to respect your parents to defend your vanity? Apart from this, I understand the Methodist point of view. Also, this opens up the question, are certain aRtforms not art then? Such as tattoos, or girl triangle trimming and coloring? Hmmm.

I don't quite understand your use of "vanity." Dressing appropriately, courtesy, being clean, living healthy would be better defined as "self respect" I would think. I sort of look on "vanity" as more of an attitude of "Oh, look at me! Worship me! Adore me!" I would put the botox, plastic surgery types in the "vanity" class - always looking for perfection, etc. On the other hand, just using some body lotion or facial cream is more what I would classify as a means of nourishing one's skin. The wrinkles and cellulite, and other processes of aging are going to come - like it or not - just make the subtle changes to accommodate that aging out of self respect - carry yourself well.

Vanity is - that being said, self respect and care for your appearance is good. To the EXCESS where you put it above things of more importance is vanity.

tumblr_lsl0i3tpFg1r2mfw1o1_500.png

I don't quite understand your use of "vanity." Dressing appropriately, courtesy, being clean, living healthy would be better defined as "self respect" I would think. I sort of look on "vanity" as more of an attitude of "Oh, look at me! Worship me! Adore me!" I would put the botox, plastic surgery types in the "vanity" class - always looking for perfection, etc. On the other hand, just using some body lotion or facial cream is more what I would classify as a means of nourishing one's skin. The wrinkles and cellulite, and other processes of aging are going to come - like it or not - just make the subtle changes to accommodate that aging out of self respect - carry yourself well.
Is going to the gym and getting the perfect muscle tone vanity then? I hope it is not. You can be healthy without the perfect muscle tone, but most of the guys think that you must haVe the perfect muscle tone to avoid getting fat. And for girls, this is twice more true. Girls need even more gym time, although with different machines, not necessarily weights. I am afraid if a girl is not vein, she will not have the courage to put the time in for her tones and shapes. There is too much challenge against your body, and what if vanity is your last defense?

Vanity is - that being said, self respect and care for your appearance is good. To the EXCESS where you put it above things of more importance is vanity.

I asked a girl, if there is anything more important than being beautiful. She said there isn't, not even chocolate. And I totally agreed with her. So, what can be in the higher importance category as you hint it? In the previous post there is a body-looks argument, that leads to health, so if you don't look the best toned and shapely, can you still be healthy? I speculate that no.

Is going to the gym and getting the perfect muscle tone vanity then? I hope it is not. You can be healthy without the perfect muscle tone, but most of the guys think that you must haVe the perfect muscle tone to avoid getting fat. And for girls, this is twice more true. Girls need even more gym time, although with different machines, not necessarily weights. I am afraid if a girl is not vein, she will not have the courage to put the time in for her tones and shapes. There is too much challenge against your body, and what if vanity is your last defense?

To each his own. Nothing at all wrong with going to the gym - exercise is good for you. Personally, I'm more concerned about someone's character, personality, how they treat me than I am over how muscle bound they are. As for the women - I think these muscle bound bodies are grotesque - but if that's what they like, I'm happy for them. My preference is walking and low impact exercise.

I asked a girl, if there is anything more important than being beautiful. She said there isn't, not even chocolate. And I totally agreed with her. So, what can be in the higher importance category as you hint it? In the previous post there is a body-looks argument, that leads to health, so if you don't look the best toned and shapely, can you still be healthy? I speculate that no.

Oh come on! Lol. If you have kids or a family, THEY are more important than being beautiful. If you get cancer or something (which can happen to anybody), I'm sure people would feel that their health is more important.

To each his own. Nothing at all wrong with going to the gym - exercise is good for you. Personally, I'm more concerned about someone's character, personality, how they treat me than I am over how muscle bound they are. As for the women - I think these muscle bound bodies are grotesque - but if that's what they like, I'm happy for them. My preference is walking and low impact exercise.
I meant it more from the point of view of health, not necessarily photo ready body building. I postulate, that without vanity, your body mass index cannot be ideal.

Why does everyone have to take these things to the extreme? You can have a little vanity. Nothing wrong with that and it doesn't hurt anyone. :) That doesn't mean you don't care about anything else.

Oh come on! Lol. If you have kids or a family, THEY are more important than being beautiful. If you get cancer or something (which can happen to anybody), I'm sure people would feel that their health is more important.
You are now reminding me about a British tv series called benidorm. In one episode, there is this woman who pisses off the other woman by telling her that her mother had the philosophy that she didn't care how she looked as long as her children turned out to be all right. Can family be more important than your looks? I thought that the very starting point of any family is looks, even before words are exchanged. Hmmm.

Why does everyone have to take these things to the extreme? You can have a little vanity. Nothing wrong with that and it doesn't hurt anyone. :) That doesn't mean you don't care about anything else.
Yes, but Americans love ganging up on vanity. Especially if that parts God looks on its bearer. Why do Americans hate vanity? I think here the French attitude is much much better, and you get loved for your vanity.

You are now reminding me about a British tv series called benidorm. In one episode, there is this woman who pisses off the other woman by telling her that her mother had the philosophy that she didn't care how she looked as long as her children turned out to be all right. Can family be more important than your looks? I thought that the very starting point of any family is looks, even before words are exchanged. Hmmm.

Obviously, that is not always the case. :D

I think people who get plastic surgery and other such (fake) things, are suffering from insecurity and not vanity. They do NOT think they look good enough, and that is why they do these things.

Yes, but Americans love ganging up on vanity. Especially if that parts God looks on its bearer. Why do Americans hate vanity? I think here the French attitude is much much better, and you get loved for your vanity.

Some people don't like it, and some people aren't bothered by it. Personally, I would rather be around a person who has some self-confidence. I've had many friends who were insecure, and that has to be the MOST annoying trait in a person, IMO. Much more annoying than having confidence in the way you look and in yourself is the person who is constantly whining about their appearance.

Forum List

Back