I don't quite understand your use of "vanity." Dressing appropriately, courtesy, being clean, living healthy would be better defined as "self respect" I would think. I sort of look on "vanity" as more of an attitude of "Oh, look at me! Worship me! Adore me!" I would put the botox, plastic surgery types in the "vanity" class - always looking for perfection, etc. On the other hand, just using some body lotion or facial cream is more what I would classify as a means of nourishing one's skin. The wrinkles and cellulite, and other processes of aging are going to come - like it or not - just make the subtle changes to accommodate that aging out of self respect - carry yourself well.
Is going to the gym and getting the perfect muscle tone vanity then? I hope it is not. You can be healthy without the perfect muscle tone, but most of the guys think that you must haVe the perfect muscle tone to avoid getting fat. And for girls, this is twice more true. Girls need even more gym time, although with different machines, not necessarily weights. I am afraid if a girl is not vein, she will not have the courage to put the time in for her tones and shapes. There is too much challenge against your body, and what if vanity is your last defense?

To each his own. Nothing at all wrong with going to the gym - exercise is good for you. Personally, I'm more concerned about someone's character, personality, how they treat me than I am over how muscle bound they are. As for the women - I think these muscle bound bodies are grotesque - but if that's what they like, I'm happy for them. My preference is walking and low impact exercise.

You can have a little vanity and also have good character. There is nothing wrong with feeling good about how you look or how intelligent you are, etc. Just because a person feels good about themselves, that doesn't mean they treat other people badly.

I think people who get plastic surgery and other such (fake) things, are suffering from insecurity and not vanity. They do NOT think they look good enough, and that is why they do these things.
This doesn't mean that they are not right, I think. For example, A guy I know started balding at age 20, did a complete hair restoration at 25, and now looks like 25 instead of 45. More girls talk to him.

I think people who get plastic surgery and other such (fake) things, are suffering from insecurity and not vanity. They do NOT think they look good enough, and that is why they do these things.
This doesn't mean that they are not right, I think. For example, A guy I know started balding at age 20, did a complete hair restoration at 25, and now looks like 25 instead of 45. More girls talk to him.

Sure, I can understand that. If you can fix something, why not? I'm more talking about a person who was pretty to begin with and goes through a bunch of unnecessary procedures, like this poor girl. She had like 20 procedures done in one day (and she was very cute before), and she almost died. She recently decided to have her breasts reduced, so she looks better now, but this is a picture of her soon following her ridiculous plastic surgery.

rs_1024x759-140617152015-1024-heidi-montag-plastic-surgery.ls.61714.jpg

Why does everyone have to take these things to the extreme? You can have a little vanity. Nothing wrong with that and it doesn't hurt anyone. :) That doesn't mean you don't care about anything else.
Yes, but Americans love ganging up on vanity. Especially if that parts God looks on its bearer. Why do Americans hate vanity? I think here the French attitude is much much better, and you get loved for your vanity.

Some people don't like it, and some people aren't bothered by it. Personally, I would rather be around a person who has some self-confidence. I've had many friends who were insecure, and that has to be the MOST annoying trait in a person, IMO. Much more annoying than having confidence in the way you look and in yourself is the person who is constantly whining about their appearance.
interesting. Insecurity has never bothered me, because it is easy to tell a good looking girl that she looks good, 100 times per day, if need be. That way, her insecurity disappears too, eventually, I guess. I think the confidence search is probably more important to women, so vanity may be gender biased too.

Why does everyone have to take these things to the extreme? You can have a little vanity. Nothing wrong with that and it doesn't hurt anyone. :) That doesn't mean you don't care about anything else.
Yes, but Americans love ganging up on vanity. Especially if that parts God looks on its bearer. Why do Americans hate vanity? I think here the French attitude is much much better, and you get loved for your vanity.

Some people don't like it, and some people aren't bothered by it. Personally, I would rather be around a person who has some self-confidence. I've had many friends who were insecure, and that has to be the MOST annoying trait in a person, IMO. Much more annoying than having confidence in the way you look and in yourself is the person who is constantly whining about their appearance.
interesting. Insecurity has never bothered me, because it is easy to tell a good looking girl that she looks good, 100 times per day, if need be. That way, her insecurity disappears too, eventually, I guess. I think the confidence search is probably more important to women, so vanity may be gender biased too.

No it doesn't. Insecurity is never satisfied. Just like the girl about that I just posted about.

Sure, I can understand that. If you can fix something, why not? I'm more talking about a person who was pretty to begin with and goes through a bunch of unnecessary procedures, like this poor girl. She had like 20 procedures done in one day (and she was very cute before), and she almost died. She recently decided to have her breasts reduced, so she looks better now, but this is a picture of her soon following her ridiculous plastic surgery.

Hmmm. You have a point. If you looked good before, and everyone agreed that you looked good, and agreed for real, not just to please you, then going under procedures is fairly called the excessive category of vanity. This is also dangerous. Luckily, this girl, although almost killing herself, hasn't killed her looks yet.

Hmmm. You have a point. If you looked good before, and everyone agreed that you looked good, and agreed for real, not just to please you, then going under procedures is fairly called the excessive category of vanity. This is also dangerous. Luckily, this girl, although almost killing herself, hasn't killed her looks yet.

That's not vanity. If she was vain, she would have thought she looked good already. That is insecurity, where she doesn't feel she looks good enough.

Vanity, as the term is used in the Bible, is that which is useless, valueless in the ultimate, transcendent sense. Human effort is, thus, 'vanity', for at death it all becomes void, meaningless.
Engaging in vanity, then, is tantamount to unavoidable. Doing doing so intentionally, expressly, exceeds vanity and becomes folly.

She looks like a completely different person. Imagine if you were her mom or dad? I think I would cry, but they might be the reason behind her insecurity.

Vanity, as the term is used in the Bible, is that which is useless, valueless in the ultimate, transcendent sense. Human effort is, thus, 'vanity', for at death it all becomes void, meaningless.
Engaging in vanity, then, is tantamount to unavoidable. Doing doing so intentionally, expressly, exceeds vanity and becomes folly.

I think many people confuse insecurity with vanity.

No it doesn't. Insecurity is never satisfied. Just like the girl about that I just posted about.
This is then a huge psychological mystery, including the girl in your post too. In my humble opinion, you are right, as she looked good before her procedures, and everyone would have agreed that she had looked good before, as well as after, so her vanity may have become excessive. But if she is not driven by vanity but by insecurity, then this is different. I know a few very beautiful girls too, very shapely, and beautiful, but they don't think that, and they ignore me when I tell them.

Elucidate, s.v.p.

She looks like a completely different person. Imagine if you were her mom or dad? I think I would cry, but they might be the reason behind her insecurity.
Possible, I think. Also, her face, specifically, may be a little better in the before pic.

Elucidate, s.v.p.

What's s.v.p.? English please. :)

What I mean is that people who get excessive plastic surgery and other such "fake" things are not really vain but are insecure.

Possible, I think. Also, her face, specifically, may be a little better in the before pic.

Her face had more expression and character before, IMO. Obviously she was very insecure about her breast size too. That may be due to our cultural obsession with breast size, which is incredibly silly if you think about it. Lol.

Elucidate, s.v.p.

What's s.v.p.? English please. :)

What I mean is that people who get excessive plastic surgery and other such "fake" things are not really vain but are insecure.
S.V.P. is a common expression; s'il vous plait, no? Sorry, no offense intended.
Vanity is the action taken out of insecurity, but they are not the same thing.

Her face had more expression and character before, IMO. Obviously she was very insecure about her breast size too. That may be due to our cultural obsession with breast size, which is incredibly silly if you think about it. Lol.
I think it is specifically American, and it may serve a purpose, in that bigger breasts hide the missing w-line curves of the average American woman. If you are fat, you do need big breasts to balance for your self inflicted lack of girly curves. This is being exported though. Brazil has now become as fat as the United States, so we can expect a fast rise of the breast enhancement industry there.

I think it is specifically American, and it may serve a purpose, in that bigger breasts hide the missing w-line curves of the average American woman. If you are fat, you do need big breasts to balance for your self inflicted lack of girly curves. This is being exported though. Brazil has now become as fat as the United States, so we can expect a fast rise of the breast enhancement industry there.

I don't think Heidi (the girl in the pictures I posted) needed breast implants. She looked beautiful just the way she was. Our society places "value" on the size of one's breasts. As long as you are proportioned well, I don't see the need to get breast implants. That pressure is applied mostly be MEN in our society. ;)

Forum List

Back