Is the Big One Coming to CA? 10 Earthquakes, 24 hrs - Exit Strategy?

Is it true that smaller quakes precede the Big One? What do you think?

First it was the devasdating fires, now, it's earthquakes. Time to call the Van Lines?

Please discuss if you live in CA what preparations you can make: Do you have an alternative road going East if the San Andreas Fault gives and the Coastal lands sink? Last week some people were worried because indicator fish (some squiggly long thing hardly ever seen) were noticed in large numbers, which happens just before disaster hits the Ring of Fire in the Northern Pacific region. Please tell us you can get out of there if the Big One destroys California as we know it. What is your Exit Strategy?

Ten earthquakes of preliminary magnitudes between 3.0 and 4.5 struck off the coast of Northern California between Saturday and Sunday, the United States Geological Survey reports.

Ten earthquakes strike the coast of Northern California in less than 24 hours
Maybe we can be fortunate and watch the land west of San Andreas fault turn into a new floating island that could capsize if too many people end up on it.. Take San Fran Nan and Mad Maxine with it...
You have no idea about our faults here, do you? :71:
I was just reading that last year there were about 19000 (nineteen thousand) small temblors in the Oroville spillway, and that they each coincided with a little more spillage than usual. To answer your question, I am in no way a scientist, but I know where the big guns are in the science world on a need-to-know basis when they're talking. Today, it's not the same website that it was the last time I went there, when there was a lot of chatter about a dam in Northern California.

To quote the USGS: "On 14 February 2017, two small seismic events occurred in proximity to the Oroville Dam in the Sierra Nevada foothills, California. A new report found 19,000 smaller‐magnitude events near the Oroville spillway that were similar to the events and occurred in clusters that strongly correlate with periods of spillway discharge. (SSA news release)" USGS Earthquake Hazards Program
How does this effect yellowstone? Any related info?

First it was the devasdating fires, now, it's earthquakes. Time to call the Van Lines?

Please discuss if you live in CA what preparations you can make: Do you have an alternative road going East if the San Andreas Fault gives and the Coastal lands sink? Last week some people were worried because indicator fish (some squiggly long thing hardly ever seen) were noticed in large numbers, which happens just before disaster hits the Ring of Fire in the Northern Pacific region. Please tell us you can get out of there if the Big One destroys California as we know it. What is your Exit Strategy?

Ten earthquakes of preliminary magnitudes between 3.0 and 4.5 struck off the coast of Northern California between Saturday and Sunday, the United States Geological Survey reports.

Maybe we can be fortunate and watch the land west of San Andreas fault turn into a new floating island that could capsize if too many people end up on it.. Take San Fran Nan and Mad Maxine with it...
I was just reading that last year there were about 19000 (nineteen thousand) small temblors in the Oroville spillway, and that they each coincided with a little more spillage than usual. To answer your question, I am in no way a scientist, but I know where the big guns are in the science world on a need-to-know basis when they're talking. Today, it's not the same website that it was the last time I went there, when there was a lot of chatter about a dam in Northern California.

To quote the USGS: "On 14 February 2017, two small seismic events occurred in proximity to the Oroville Dam in the Sierra Nevada foothills, California. A new report found 19,000 smaller‐magnitude events near the Oroville spillway that were similar to the events and occurred in clusters that strongly correlate with periods of spillway discharge. (SSA news release)" USGS Earthquake Hazards Program
The Yellowstone Supervolcano Is a Disaster Waiting to Happen

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

I'm not panicked or anything....:eek2:
I used to live in the San Bernardino mountains. I don't know where you are there. I can tell you that it was rumored in the late 60's and into the 70's that California would be falling off into the ocean and a lot of people scattered for other states.
Thinning the herd?
Yo, Gallant one. I found Anchorage recent info on that 1/23/2019 shakeup near the 1/08/2019 one was. Seems there was a big earthquake in AK in 1953, when my family was there. Prayers up for all of you in the Ring of Fire area! :eusa_pray:

I have it on good information that only God knows the next time the caldera of the Yellowstone is going to erupt. See Gallantwarrior's post. m'kay?

p.s.

Screen_Shot_2018-04-21_at_12.38.21_pm.png

The "Big One" has been coming for California for decades. since before I lived there, during my 34 year residency, and since I left in 2009. Not much you can do but anchor your water heater, make sure you have enough stores of food and first aid to care for all with whom you live, a sturdy table or door jam under to shelter under, and plenty of ammunition...

And yes, foreshocks are a real thing...

Definition of FORESHOCK

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

I used to live in the San Bernardino mountains. I don't know where you are there. I can tell you that it was rumored in the late 60's and into the 70's that California would be falling off into the ocean and a lot of people scattered for other states.
Thinning the herd?
Yo, Gallant one. I found Anchorage recent info on that 1/23/2019 shakeup near the 1/08/2019 one was. Seems there was a big earthquake in AK in 1953, when my family was there. Prayers up for all of you in the Ring of Fire area! :eusa_pray:

Thanks, Beau! Living in an area susceptible to any disastrous possibility makes you aware. I grew up in hurricane country but am pretty unconcerned about those kind of storms now. Earthquakes and volcanoes occupy my disaster awareness now.

About those fish, aka oarfish, some scientists have totally discounted the fish frenzy from the deep a concern to the Island country of Japan: I read it a couple of days ago, about oarfish who were freaking out the fishermen in the waters in and around the Island country of Japan.:

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fdavidbressan%2Ffiles%2F2019%2F02%2FGetty_Images_Oarfish.jpg

The oarfish can be from small to 15 feet in length, and they dwell at a depth that would kill most of us--650 meters down, but somehow, the ones found recently have just washed up to the top, mostly dead or near death. The article here claims that the traditional association that the fish coming all the way up to warn us are accidents of nature, but also add a few cases of where in ancient time the fish were seen at a raised frequency just before a devastating event, something bad happened. Go figure. I'd say the jury's out on the recent multiple sightings of the beasts. I located the article: Giant Oarfish 'Warning' Of Coming Earthquake And Tsunami Is More Myth Than Science

Last edited:
Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

Thinning the herd?

Thanks, Beau! Living in an area susceptible to any disastrous possibility makes you aware. I grew up in hurricane country but am pretty unconcerned about those kind of storms now. Earthquakes and volcanoes occupy my disaster awareness now.
When we first moved up to the mountains half of the house was on loose concrete block pilings when a big one hit. The flood a few years before had washed out the underneath of one whole side of the house. That is how my parents got it. It was a large piece of land with a house and a dirt and rick filled pool. The garage had completely washed away and left one half of the house hanging there as if it were ready any day to break in half. Anyhows', the quake hit early in the morning. Still in bed my bed rolled from one end of the room and back several times. My brother though was in the travel trailer outside. For him the trailer shook violently and pans and crap flew out of the cupboard as if stuff was being thrown at him. He was mad because he thought someone was playing a joke on him shaking the trailer like that. The house just rolled with the flow and no harm. If it had been on solid pillars or a solid foundation there would have most likely been damage at that time.

Last edited:
Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

Thinning the herd?

Don't get too comfortable there, sir. Hopefully you are a little inland, but I had this nagging recollection of seeing a picture of tsunami damage to an area of Alaska coastline that rose up hundreds of feet only to get a bit washed from people there who didn't worry. See if I can find it. It may have happened 100 years ago for all I know now.

Not a hundred years, but 1964, according to my finding here: https://www.history.com/topics/natural-disasters-and-environment/1964-alaska-earthquake

1964 Alaska Earthquake Changes the Coastline

Four minutes may not seem like a long time, but when it comes to earthquakes, it seems an eternity, and tremors during the great Alaska earthquake of 1964 lasted at least four minutes.

Geological surveys taken immediately afterward showed parts of the Alaskan coast sank up to eight feet, other parts rose up to 38 feet and much of the coast moved 50 feet towards the ocean. Coastal forests plunged below sea level and were destroyed by salt water.

Local Tsunamis and Landslides
As the tremors ended, local tsunamis sprung up almost immediately, leaving residents little to no time to flee for higher ground.
A massive tidal wave crushed the small, coastal village of Chenega four minutes after the tremors subsided—the town lost a third of its population. Local tsunamis also caused destruction in Kodiak, Whittier and Seward.

Downtown Anchorage had the most property damage mainly due to immense landslides, one of which dropped the business district nine feet.

In the Turnagain Heights area of Anchorage, soil liquefaction (when the ground behaves like a liquid) triggered a landslide which moved parts of a suburban bluff 2,000 feet into the bay, taking up to 75 homes with it.

The control tower at Anchorage International Airport collapsed, killing an air traffic controller. Part of the of the Million Dollar Bridge at Copper River also crumpled.

Thousands of strong aftershocks continued for weeks after the earthquake, some measuring greater than magnitude 6.2. Reports of residual water sloshing (seiches) came in from the U.S. Gulf Coast and as far away as Australia.
And I hope this doesn't happen to ya'll up there in the Last Frontier State, but please, in spite of the awful cold, please maintain vigilance out there and up there where you've had a couple of scares lately when it comes to temblors.. More prayers up and only good wishes for whatever is going on in our west coast trouble spots along the Ring.

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

Thinning the herd?

Oh, there's just one other thing, I got an update on today's nominal activity up your way at USGS, and here is today's update for Alaska. The map distances headed toward Juneau must be phenomenal, but anyways, here's the update, and I hope Ms. bodecea is correct about small temblors being relievers of pressure that are indicative of no problema.

1. 93km WSW of Anchor Point, Alaska
    2019-02-04 16:51:39 (UTC)
    105.2 km
  2. 2.5
    18km NW of Anchorage, Alaska
    2019-02-04 09:54:38 (UTC)
    20.0 km
  3. 3.0
    6km SSW of Big Lake, Alaska
    2019-02-04 08:56:58 (UTC)
    20.7 km
  4. 3.3
    43km NNW of Gustavus, Alaska
    2019-02-04 06:30:49 (UTC)
    7.0 km

I have lived here, California, all my life. The San Andreas Fault is not an up/down fault nor is the Hayward fault. They are slip along so the idea of a sinking California is quite a stupid one. We have been moving slowly north since the earth plates came to rest close to where they currently sit. Please learn about the tectonic plates and how they move. Pay attention to the pacific rim.

It is more likely Floodida will drop off the continent than for the pacific plate to slide out from the rest of the continent.

Here's a Documentary of The Great Alaska Railroad Earthquake of 1964, USGS:

1964alaskaaeicalaska_1429974931.jpg

I know this isn't, but this government building reminds me of the Ft. Richardson elementary I went to in 1953: Same architect, maybe? (Picture from 1964)

Earthquake-March-27-1964-Alaska-Government-Hill-School.jpg

Evenflow1969, there may be a clue in the AK 1964 Youtube I just posted immediately above. Breaking News - Is the Big One Coming to CA? 10 Earthquakes, 24 hrs - Exit Strategy?

Which ones?

Thinning the herd?

Don't get too comfortable there, sir. Hopefully you are a little inland, but I had this nagging recollection of seeing a picture of tsunami damage to an area of Alaska coastline that rose up hundreds of feet only to get a bit washed from people there who didn't worry. See if I can find it. It may have happened 100 years ago for all I know now.

Not a hundred years, but 1964, according to my finding here: https://www.history.com/topics/natural-disasters-and-environment/1964-alaska-earthquake

1964 Alaska Earthquake Changes the Coastline

Four minutes may not seem like a long time, but when it comes to earthquakes, it seems an eternity, and tremors during the great Alaska earthquake of 1964 lasted at least four minutes.

Geological surveys taken immediately afterward showed parts of the Alaskan coast sank up to eight feet, other parts rose up to 38 feet and much of the coast moved 50 feet towards the ocean. Coastal forests plunged below sea level and were destroyed by salt water.

Local Tsunamis and Landslides
As the tremors ended, local tsunamis sprung up almost immediately, leaving residents little to no time to flee for higher ground.
A massive tidal wave crushed the small, coastal village of Chenega four minutes after the tremors subsided—the town lost a third of its population. Local tsunamis also caused destruction in Kodiak, Whittier and Seward.

Downtown Anchorage had the most property damage mainly due to immense landslides, one of which dropped the business district nine feet.

In the Turnagain Heights area of Anchorage, soil liquefaction (when the ground behaves like a liquid) triggered a landslide which moved parts of a suburban bluff 2,000 feet into the bay, taking up to 75 homes with it.

The control tower at Anchorage International Airport collapsed, killing an air traffic controller. Part of the of the Million Dollar Bridge at Copper River also crumpled.

Thousands of strong aftershocks continued for weeks after the earthquake, some measuring greater than magnitude 6.2. Reports of residual water sloshing (seiches) came in from the U.S. Gulf Coast and as far away as Australia.
And I hope this doesn't happen to ya'll up there in the Last Frontier State, but please, in spite of the awful cold, please maintain vigilance out there and up there where you've had a couple of scares lately when it comes to temblors.. More prayers up and only good wishes for whatever is going on in our west coast trouble spots along the Ring.
To reach my place, any oceanic event would have to be of biblical proportions. Earthquakes are always a concern because there are so many variables: how deep, where in respect to your location, whether a "roller" or a "rumbler", etc. Volcanoes are actually much more disruptive when they go big. I keep special, home-made air filters for my cars and face masks, too. Volcanic ash can get into everything.

Which ones?

Thinning the herd?

Oh, there's just one other thing, I got an update on today's nominal activity up your way at USGS, and here is today's update for Alaska. The map distances headed toward Juneau must be phenomenal, but anyways, here's the update, and I hope Ms. bodecea is correct about small temblors being relievers of pressure that are indicative of no problema.

• 93km WSW of Anchor Point, Alaska
      2019-02-04 16:51:39 (UTC)
      105.2 km
      18km NW of Anchorage, Alaska
      2019-02-04 09:54:38 (UTC)
      20.0 km
      6km SSW of Big Lake, Alaska
      2019-02-04 08:56:58 (UTC)
      20.7 km
      43km NNW of Gustavus, Alaska
      2019-02-04 06:30:49 (UTC)
      7.0 km
The first three are still considered aftershocks from that "big" one in November. Gustavus is most likely related to local volcanic activity there.

The "bigger one" is brewing in the Cascadia Subduction Zone, off of the Washington and Oregon coast. The last big earthquake there was Jan 26 1700, with the exact date being known due to Japanese records of a tsunami. The tsunami won't be that bad for the US coast, due to steeper terrain and coastal cities being on inland waterways, but the earthquake will be devastating.

Just a little update. There have been two over the 4 point Richter Scale (Orange highlight)...and one at the 5 point mark.(Red Highlight) The biggest ones were in the Dominican Republic.
  1. 2.8
    90km N of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
    2019-02-05 07:40:18 (UTC)
    50.0 km
  2. 2.5
    98km NE of Miches, Dominican Republic
    2019-02-05 06:11:38 (UTC)
    17.0 km
  3. 2.6
    12km NW of Volcano, Hawaii
    2019-02-05 05:40:33 (UTC)
    4.9 km