Is the Big One Coming to CA? 10 Earthquakes, 24 hrs - Exit Strategy?

beautress

Always Faithful
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 28, 2018
Walker County, TX
Is it true that smaller quakes precede the Big One? What do you think?

First it was the devasdating fires, now, it's earthquakes. Time to call the Van Lines?

Please discuss if you live in CA what preparations you can make: Do you have an alternative road going East if the San Andreas Fault gives and the Coastal lands sink? Last week some people were worried because indicator fish (some squiggly long thing hardly ever seen) were noticed in large numbers, which happens just before disaster hits the Ring of Fire in the Northern Pacific region. Please tell us you can get out of there if the Big One destroys California as we know it. What is your Exit Strategy?

Ten earthquakes of preliminary magnitudes between 3.0 and 4.5 struck off the coast of Northern California between Saturday and Sunday, the United States Geological Survey reports.

Ten earthquakes strike the coast of Northern California in less than 24 hours

First it was the devasdating fires, now, it's earthquakes. Time to call the Van Lines?

Please discuss if you live in CA what preparations you can make: Do you have an alternative road going East if the San Andreas Fault gives and the Coastal lands sink? Last week some people were worried because indicator fish (some squiggly long thing hardly ever seen) were noticed in large numbers, which happens just before disaster hits the Ring of Fire in the Northern Pacific region. Please tell us you can get out of there if the Big One destroys California as we know it. What is your Exit Strategy?

Ten earthquakes of preliminary magnitudes between 3.0 and 4.5 struck off the coast of Northern California between Saturday and Sunday, the United States Geological Survey reports.

Maybe we can be fortunate and watch the land west of San Andreas fault turn into a new floating island that could capsize if too many people end up on it.. Take San Fran Nan and Mad Maxine with it...

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

I'm not panicked or anything....:eek2:
I used to live in the San Bernardino mountains. I don't know where you are there. I can tell you that it was rumored in the late 60's and into the 70's that California would be falling off into the ocean and a lot of people scattered for other states.

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

I used to live in the San Bernardino mountains. I don't know where you are there. I can tell you that it was rumored in the late 60's and into the 70's that California would be falling off into the ocean and a lot of people scattered for other states.
I lived in the area for 5 years, 1965-1969 There was at least one or two pretty bad earthquakes far enough away from the coast to affect the hills around Alta Loma, where I attended classes.

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

I lived in the area for 5 years, 1965-1969 There was at least one or two pretty bad earthquakes far enough away from the coast to affect the hills around Alta Loma, where I attended classes.
I'd be more worried about Fukushima radiation than an earthquake but hey that is just me and I would want to work in some areas of California no matter how safe and earthquake proof they think their buildings are.

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

------------------------ i've see from 'los angeles' and then all the way up north but i figure that eveyone up to 'san fran' is very cooked or very toasted toast In a Big huge earthquake or other catastrophe . Best to protect and defend yourself in a well prepared home or even apartment 'imo' .

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

I'd be more worried about Fukushima radiation than an earthquake but hey that is just me and I would want to work in some areas of California no matter how safe and earthquake proof they think their buildings are.
--------------------------------- Armegadon highway , did you ever check it out . I think its in the 'san berdoo' area Rod . It was being built in the 60s i believe . Halfway built and then abandoned from what i have heard . Still there though .

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

--------------------------------- Armegadon highway , did you ever check it out . I think its in the 'san berdoo' area Rod . It was being built in the 60s i believe . Halfway built and then abandoned from what i have heard . Still there though .
That is more L.A. Shoemaker Canyon Road is an aborted road. In the early days of the Cold War (1950s and 60s), San Gabriel Mountains.

Been on the interconnect between Ontario and the foothill of Cajun pass. I got on that thing after they paved it and opened it. One could go like a bat out ....... and not be concerned about a ticket for speeding or any traffic. Last time I was there Cajun pass was pretty crowded but once on that interconnect not too bad.

Well, "The Big One" can happen at any time, or not, it's just that California is taking a lot of shaking in the past couple of days, plus the entire "ring of fire" area and then some is trembling every few hours.

I went to USGS, but information is sketchy, because I think the scientists are busy monitoring and sending warnings to the most affected areas.

This map is what popped up, but it doesn't concentrate on the last few hours, it goes back from 2014 to part of the present, so it's a little confusing to a lay person like me watching what confounds the rocket science fellows at USGS who do everything from measure the stars to reading seismographs in the ocean's depths and the tips of mountains from Mt. McKinley to San Bernardino Mountains, the Cascades, and more.

Latest Earthquakes

I'll go back and see if I can't get some more specifics than the first try was.

Earthquake list, February 4, 2019: Update: Latest Earthquakes

1 Day, Magnitude 2.5+ U.S.
19 of 40 earthquakes in map area.Click for more information
  1. 3.2
    5km E of Pine Hills, CA
    2019-02-04 18:19:20 (UTC)
    8.1 km
  2. 2.5
    5km E of Pine Hills, CA
    2019-02-04 17:30:55 (UTC)
    5.4 km
  3. 5.3
    31km SSE of Boca de Yuma, Dominican Republic
    2019-02-04 14:33:48 (UTC)
    74.0 km
  4. 3.2
    18km ESE of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
    2019-02-04 14:25:02 (UTC)
    99.0 km
  5. 2.8
    14km W of Petrolia, CA
    2019-02-04 12:52:36 (UTC)
    7.8 km
  6. 2.8
    15km ESE of Lincoln, Montana
    2019-02-04 12:28:19 (UTC)
    10.7 km
  7. 3.2
    84km NNE of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
    2019-02-04 12:02:36 (UTC)
    42.0 km
  8. 2.5
    60km NNE of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
    2019-02-04 12:00:42 (UTC)
    69.0 km
  9. 3.1
    57km ESE of Boca de Yuma, Dominican Republic
    2019-02-04 11:53:22 (UTC)
    91.0 km
  10. 2.6
    78km N of Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
    2019-02-04 04:09:34 (UTC)
    65.0 km
  11. 2.8
    9km W of Petrolia, CA
    2019-02-04 04:06:24 (UTC)
    3.0 km
  12. 2.9
    131km NNE of Luquillo, Puerto Rico
    2019-02-04 02:49:17 (UTC)
    40.0 km
  13. 2.7
    14km NW of Toms Place, CA
    2019-02-04 02:01:28 (UTC)
    3.0 km
  14. 3.7
    16km W of Petrolia, CA
    2019-02-04 00:05:06 (UTC)
    7.7 km
The map I found there shows a worrisome cluster of about 8-9 small earthquakes in the west Dominican Republic area, with at least one northeast of Puerto Rico. My goodness. They just went through a really bad Hurricane season that hurt 'em over there, now this. I'm worried.

Maybe we can be fortunate and watch the land west of San Andreas fault turn into a new floating island that could capsize if too many people end up on it.. Take San Fran Nan and Mad Maxine with it...
You have no idea about our faults here, do you? :71:

Head for the mountains.
Which ones?

Appalachian mountains is likely where ya should go. Water is going to be an issue out west before you know it. Of course some of the conspiracy theory people are saying that the only safe place on the planet is going to be in the ozarks soon. I am looking for land there my self but mainly because ot is some of the best fishing on the planet.

You have no idea about our faults here, do you? :71:
I was just reading that last year there were about 19000 (nineteen thousand) small temblors in the Oroville spillway, and that they each coincided with a little more spillage than usual. To answer your question, I am in no way a scientist, but I know where the big guns are in the science world on a need-to-know basis when they're talking. Today, it's not the same website that it was the last time I went there, when there was a lot of chatter about a dam in Northern California.

To quote the USGS: "On 14 February 2017, two small seismic events occurred in proximity to the Oroville Dam in the Sierra Nevada foothills, California. A new report found 19,000 smaller‐magnitude events near the Oroville spillway that were similar to the events and occurred in clusters that strongly correlate with periods of spillway discharge. (SSA news release)" USGS Earthquake Hazards Program

Earthquakes, meh? We have little tremblors all the time up here, especially since that "big" one in November. We're still finding damages but I'm thankful my place is stoutly built. That's no guarantee, but it is comforting. I live off-grid so I'm far less concerned than urban and suburban inhabitants.

Forum List

Back