Is Taiwan really worth fighting for

Many say we should be willing to fight for Taiwan a lot of others say no......not worth it.

"When a man knows he is about to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully," said Dr. Samuel Johnson.

If there is any benefit to be realized from the collision between China and the U.S. over House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's trip to Taiwan, it is this: America needs to reflect long and hard upon what it is we will fight China to defend in the Taiwan Strait and South China Sea.

It's worth fighting for as long as it doesn't involve war with China.

What facts?
It may or may not be worth influencing China to leave Taiwan to its own people but it is factually incorrect to state that it is not a threat to security. That is simply not the case. You cannot spin, no matter how much you may want to, the number one geo-political adversary being the source for all our technological assets to include those used for national defense.

Since I have stated it multiple times and you pretend that you cannot read.

Ignoring facts just makes it look like you have no idea what you are pontificating about.

It's not a matter of what third country is involved. It is about American principles.

It was probably before your time but China and America have fought before.....we did not do so well ....and that was when the Chinese military was rather primitive.

So we need to let them do as they please, because Korea?

Now they have hypersonic missles and we do not.....just for starters.

And they'd never lie about the quality of their missiles.

You should talk to someone who fought in that war.

Because they're going to send human waves at Taiwan?
Or at California?

One of the prime lessons of war......never,never under-estimate your enemy.

And don't surrender, just because China is butthurt when Taiwan gets mentioned.
The human wave tactic is a myth......how the Chinese operated and a big factor in their success such as it was....'.INFILTRATION' was the real name of their game.....they would infiltrate our front lines and when they were in position and ready sound their bugles and the G.I.s were engulfed, surrounded and taking fire from every direction and that is when the Chinese would launch their frontal assault whilst the G.I.s were confused and in a state of panic.

Also one must remember our soldiers at that time were draftees and not the highest caliber of soldiers....those that were drafted at that time were from the lower classes and many of them criminals who were offered the chance to go into the Military and avoid jail time.

At that time the Army was also segregated.....and our officers found to their dismay that the black units would bug out just as soon as the mortars began to thud amongst them.

That is when Truman ordered the Army desegregated....it was found the blacks would do much better when they were fighting alongst side whites and with white officers.

Our best sodiers in history was proably those of WWII....we had the draft then also but they drafted from across all social classes....very few deferments....except like for the physically disabled.

And Patrioism was much higher then, the country was united and all recognized that we had no option but to win that war.

It's worth fighting for as long as it doesn't involve war with China.
You sound like one of those who shit their pants when the Chinese bugles sounded.

After China intervened in the Korean War, "military bugle calls were widely used by the Chinese People's Volunteer Army, playing an important role in creating psychological shock on the so-called 'United Nations Army' and dwarfing their morale," China Military declared in a 2018 piece dripping with patriotic fervor.Jul 25, 2019

China Says It Has Brought Bugle Calls Back To The Battlefield

Excerpt: Tactics of the Chinese Communists in the Korean War.

c

You sound like one of those who shit their pants when the Chinese bugles sounded.

After China intervened in the Korean War, "military bugle calls were widely used by the Chinese People's Volunteer Army, playing an important role in creating psychological shock on the so-called 'United Nations Army' and dwarfing their morale," China Military declared in a 2018 piece dripping with patriotic fervor.Jul 25, 2019

China Says It Has Brought Bugle Calls Back To The Battlefield

Excerpt: Tactics of the Chinese Communists in the Korean War.

c

I don't think they'll be able to hear the bugles from Taiwan.

I don't think they'll be able to hear the bugles from Taiwan.
China would not have to put boots on the ground in Taiwan to subdue them.

All they have to do is convince Taiwan that America will not help them and they will fold like a house of cards.

With the demonrats in power Taiwan should look elsewhere for support aka......Japan

China would not have to put boots on the ground in Taiwan to subdue them.

All they have to do is convince Taiwan that America will not help them and they will fold like a house of cards.

With the demonrats in power Taiwan should look elsewhere for support aka......Japan

Who is in power is really irrelevant. They should look elsewhere because we have failed every single nation we have made promises to in the last 20 years. Virtually all of them. Our word is becoming worthless because we lack the foresight to stay out of shit we are not going to finish and the fortitude to finish things we get involved in.

Many say we should be willing to fight for Taiwan a lot of others say no......not worth it.

"When a man knows he is about to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully," said Dr. Samuel Johnson.

If there is any benefit to be realized from the collision between China and the U.S. over House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's trip to Taiwan, it is this: America needs to reflect long and hard upon what it is we will fight China to defend in the Taiwan Strait and South China Sea.

92 Percent
That's how many computer chips we use to manufacture everything from automobiles to zambonis are made in Taiwan.

A debate about whether we should or should not defend Taiwan militarily is a non-issue. That's a war we cannot win. China has us by the short and curlies.

That is precisely what Pelosi did. Visiting there as she did WITHOUT policy and/or official action is like spitting in the face of a bear while naked. It is moronic in the extreme.

She is a house representative and has, essentially, zero power to do jack shit with regard to China and Taiwan. Her visit is asinine.
You seem to have forgotten that it is the House of Representatives that controls our purse strings.

It seems to me and the rest of the world that it is House Speaker Nancy Pelosi who controls our foreign policy.

You seem to have forgotten that it is the House of Representatives that controls our purse strings.

It seems to me and the rest of the world that it is House Speaker Nancy Pelosi who controls our foreign policy.
Except they don't. The senate influences and functionally the president controls foreign policy. That is just how it works.

My guess is that it's a dangerous game of blind man's bluff. I hope the U.S. wouldn't risk a nuclear war to protect the island that rightfully belongs to China.
Sarcastically. Why shouldn't we risk a nuclear war with China? We're risking one with Russia.

Except they don't. The senate influences and functionally the president controls foreign policy. That is just how it works.
So, according to you, the House of Representatives does NOT control our purse strings? Who knew?

If Biden had not made an enemy of Russia we might have gotten them to ally with us like they did in
wwii and we could beat China together......like we beat the Nazis together.

Trump had a excellent chance to get Russia to align with us.....Putin really admired Trump.

One of the most stupid things the democrats ever did was to make Putin into an enemy of
America....no reason in the world for Russia to be our enemy....we all look very similar, have similar morals, education and religious beliefs.

Not even to mention the Russians love Americans.
Can anyone explain why the democrats were obsessed with turning Russia into a enemy?

So, according to you, the House of Representatives does NOT control our purse strings? Who knew?
I did not say that.

I did say that they do not control international policy. Which they do not.

You seem to think they control everything. One wonders why we even have an executive branch.

Since I have stated it multiple times and you pretend that you cannot read.

Ignoring facts just makes it look like you have no idea what you are pontificating about.
Why make China an adversary? Why can’t we have good relations with China?

Why make China an adversary? Why can’t we have good relations with China?
Running from your last silly statement with a new one to avoid admitting it was asinine?

We do not make China an adversary. They ARE an adversary. And 'good' relations are irrelevant to that fact. We should have good relations with them but no matter how good those relations are or get, they are still an adversary. It is almost as though you do not know what the word means.

Forum List

Back