Is now a good time for the GOP to change Senate rules?

yiostheoy

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2016
Nothing in the US Constitution mentions supermajority requirements except for (1) the passage of new Amendments and (2) impeachment of the POTUS.

And the history of the evolution of the filibuster rule in the Senate evolved from 1892 when the SCOTUS ruled that the Senate may therefore change its rules anytime it wants to by a simple majority.

Should the GOP now therefore change their current Senate rule that 60 votes are required in the Senate to stop a filibuster ("invoke cloture")?

The GOP wants to seat new SCOTUS justices, and the GOP wants to repeal ACA. And neither will be possible with Schumer able to filibuster together with his partisan Senators. Without changing the Senate rules the GOP cannot do either.

Filibuster in the United States Senate - Wikipedia

I should have added a poll -- yes or no. Too late now however.

I if democrats deal with Trump the way the GOP dealt with Obama, it would be necessary, or we could have four years of gridlock.

I if democrats deal with Trump the way the GOP dealt with Obama, it would be necessary, or we could have four years of gridlock.
7 of Obama's picks were confirmed his first day. Five more within a week.

ACA is a bigger deal.

And a SCOTUS replacement for Scalia is important for the GOP too.

If the GOP wants to try to overrule Roe in the long term they will need several appointments who can each read the Constitution very closely.

There is nothing in the Constitution about abortions or vaginas.

Forum List

Back