"The Windows 11 Start Menu is comically bad."

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
It probably is but I don´t know because I expected such bullshit and avoid it as long as I can. It didn´t even let me use the space for "recommended" stuff, when this feature is disabled.
The whole approach is totally absurd. I don´t need a menu that entertains me. I want a menu that provides the shortest possible time required to open a program. The less Windows I get between my decision to open a program an the starting of that program, the more I love it.

Former Microsoft employee presents the Windows 11 Start Menu in action on an extreme High-End machine:

He also says:
"My favorite Windows feature is opening the Start menu, typing "notepad", hitting Enter, and having it open Edge to a Bing search for "otepad"."

Wow, this Windows is so ridiculous, it could be actually malware.

It probably is but I don´t know because I expected such bullshit and avoid it as long as I can. It didn´t even let me use the space for "recommended" stuff, when this feature is disabled.
The whole approach is totally absurd. I don´t need a menu that entertains me. I want a menu that provides the shortest possible time required to open a program. The less Windows I get between my decision to open a program an the starting of that program, the more I love it.

Former Microsoft employee presents the Windows 11 Start Menu in action on an extreme High-End machine:

He also says:
"My favorite Windows feature is opening the Start menu, typing "notepad", hitting Enter, and having it open Edge to a Bing search for "otepad"."

Wow, this Windows is so ridiculous, it could be actually malware.

i'm going to throw mine out of the window

it opens tabs on its own and opens tabs in new windows . a "new window" entails a "start page " that takes a cup of coffee to boot

and yes, there is a setup menu to choose start page, but it does not matter what you put there it still goes to the microsoft page.

and don't get me started on bing.

what's next? dump edge? chrome or firefox?

it opens tabs on its own and opens tabs in new windows . a "new window" entails a "start page " that takes a cup of coffee to boot

and yes, there is a setup menu to choose start page, but it does not matter what you put there it still goes to the microsoft page.

/——/ I never have issues with DuckDuckGo.

Same here, the start page will be Microsoft, no matter what I type in. Very annoying.

you would think that Microsoft would beta test their software before they released it
they have been doing this for decades
They did, and then made it less user friendly and more invasive.

Windows 11 is a joke, I wouldn't even mess with that. With Windows 11, you don't own it, they own you.

Linux! :D

If one is not gaming, they may as well use Linux.

I'm trying to think of the freakin' seriously Windows-like version. Gimme a min..

I mean, I got it, it's Ubuntu-based, I have a hard drive with it loaded on it and another with the iso..yeah..no help.

Okay, getting somewhere..linuxFX..

Here we go! :D

If you're just emailing and chatting and browsing, no need to run a heavy Windoze system.

Last edited:

Lose the Windows. You will need a compatible USB stick 8-16GB

I can teach how to ditch Windows, and if you're not gaming or doing office work (Excel) there's no reason to use it.

Absolutely none.

Linux! :D

If one is not gaming, they may as well use Linux.

I'm trying to think of the freakin' seriously Windows-like version. Gimme a min..

I mean, I got it, it's Ubuntu-based, I have a hard drive with it loaded on it and another with the iso..yeah..no help.

Okay, getting somewhere..linuxFX..

Here we go! :D

If you're just emailing and chatting and browsing, no need to run a heavy Windoze system.
One of the problems with switching from Windows to Linux is too many distros that claim to be "just like windows". And each one has some problems specifically because they're Linux and not Windows. FX is KDE and while I like KDE even the stable versions aren't completely stable, KDE is not for noobs.
This is why I steer people to the big three with Mint being the primary simply because they are the most user friendly.

Off topic a bit... but something happened yesterday that was interesting.
I opened up the laptop and then noticed I had no internet.
Went into network settings, restarted WiFi... nothing. Hmmmm.
Ran the trouble shooter - nothing. ??
So I went to restart, noticed it wanted to update... yeah whatever, not thinking I clicked "update and restart"
Wait a minute... it is downloading the update... how can it be downloading the update??
So I look at the little wifi light.... it is on!!

Them bastards!! Looks to me like they disabled my wifi so I would restart.

I still fix the problems with a third party start menu. Since Windows 8, MS has tried to enforce their primitive menu on the people. They went back to a somehow sufferable menu in Win 10 after complaints but place stuff there. But I use the menu when I already know what I want to do. In Windows 11 they went back to an inept monkey menu.

Forum List

Back