Is Christianity Divisive?

tipofthespear

May 13, 2013
The short answer is Yes.

Jesus said: He who is not for us, is against us. And, I am the way the truth and the life….no man comes unto the Father except by me.

His Gospel makes it quite clear that there is only One Way to eternal life/salvation, and that is through believing in Him. Yes, that is divisive, and it does away with any notion of an “all paths lead to heaven” ideology. According to His Gospel, there are only two types of people in this world, disciples of Christ, and those who deny Him. However, the choice is there for any and all to make. To follow Him, or not to follow Him, and every person that has ever lived must make that choice.

The Apostle Paul, in his Epistle to the Corinthians said:

1 Corinthians 1:17 .) For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.18 .) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.19 .) For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.20 .) Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?21 .) For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.22 .) For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:23 .) But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;24 .) But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.25 .) Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.26 .) For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:27 .) But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;28 .) And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:29 .) That no flesh should glory in his presence.30 .) But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:31 .) That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Religions by their very design are divisive. Despite the claims of tolerance, religions tend not to play nice with competing religions or even competing sects/subdivisions of the same religion.

"Evil is not to be traced back to the individual but to the collective behavior of humanity." Reinhold Niebuhr

All groups are divisive, group think soon invades the minds as those who belong look at those who don't belong. Anyone so naive to think Christianity, same as any group, is not divisive lives in a cave of one.

"We first kill people with our minds, before we kill them with weapons. Whatever the conflict, the enemy is always the destroyer. We're on God's side; they're barbaric. We're good, they're evil. War gives us a feeling of moral clarity that we lack at other times." Sam Keen

"Mass movements can rise and spread without belief in a God, but never without belief in a devil. Usually the strength of a mass movement is proportionate to the vividness and tangibility of its devil. Like an ideal deity, an ideal devil is omnipotent and omnipresent." Eric Hoffer

ANY form of group identity is divisive.

Just looking at the large number of posters who rail about the bogeyman "Right Wing" or the evil "Liberals", this is certainly not a phenomenon limited to religion. We are hardwired in various degrees towards tribal association, and ideology forms the basis for much of our modern tribalism. It's always about them and us.

Instead of singling out Christianity for attack, perhaps you should apply some thought to the nature of other religions and/or political ideologies. Were you to apply the same standards for evaluation honestly, you might find Christianity to be less divisive than others. Considering the absolutely hateful virulence of one particular ideology currently rampaging across the globe, your singling out Christianity is tantamount to complaining about the neighbors cat peeing in your flower beds while a saber tooth tiger has it's jaws around your child's head.

Evident from the comments here, folks are not very familiar with the Gospel of Christ, and seem to all believe that being "divisive" is somehow a negative. Anyone who has just a small understanding of the Gospel of Christ will understand the OP. Those that don't, won't, as evidenced here. ;) It is also clear that folks do not know much about the Christian Faith. For whoever believed the OP was "railing" about Christ or Christianity, seriously?

I'd say the short answer is "no". I see nothing particularly divisive about it.

Big surprise there..................revealing you have no concept of the Gospel of Christ. But you are batting 1,000 when it comes to disagreeing. Hey, that's something!

Matthew 10: 32 .) Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.33 .) But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.34 .) Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.35.) For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.36 .) And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.37 .) He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.38 .) And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.39 .) He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

2nd Corinthians 6:14 .) Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
15 .) And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
16 .) And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 .) Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 .) And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

John 3:11 .) Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12 .) If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13 .) And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14 .) And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 .) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 .) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 .) For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 .) He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 .) And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 .) For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 .) But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Evident from the comments here, folks are not very familiar with the Gospel of Christ, and seem to all believe that being "divisive" is somehow a negative. Anyone who has just a small understanding of the Gospel of Christ will understand the OP. Those that don't, won't, as evidenced here. ;) It is also clear that folks do not know much about the Christian Faith. For whoever believed the OP was "railing" about Christ or Christianity, seriously?
Wrong.

And typical of most arrogant Christians, as many know Christian dogma well, which is why they reject it.

John 17:11 .) And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
12 .) While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
13 .) And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
14 .) I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
15 .) I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
16 .) They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
17 .) Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18 .) As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 .) And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
20 .) Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 .) That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
Wrong.

And typical of most arrogant Christians, as many know Christian dogma well, which is why they reject it.

What unbelievers know are the words.........what they will never know is the spiritual reality of they Christian Faith, given by the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. Which is why they will always live in the dark in the understanding of His Word. Nothing arrogant about it.

John 17:11 .) And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
12 .) While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
13 .) And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
14 .) I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
15 .) I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
16 .) They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
17 .) Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
18 .) As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
19 .) And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
20 .) Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 .) That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
Wrong.

What unbelievers know are the words.........what they will never know is the spiritual reality of they Christian Faith, given by the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. Which is why they will always live in the dark in the understanding of His Word. Nothing arrogant about it.
And no, nothing at all divisive about breeding divisions.

Forum List

Back