Is Christianity Divisive?

Chosen, set apart, a peculiar people, a holy nation, children of God, heirs to the Promise, saved, sanctified, justified, called and more.........does that help?

Nope. Christians are completely integrated into our society. Not divisive at all.

That is so funny, no concept whatsoever of the Christian Faith. But, hey, that's ok, it is your right to remain uneducated.

You can call yourself a rebel, but if you wear a grey suit with a white shirt and red tie, go to the office every day, come home and sit in front of the tv until bed time, you have a hard time selling it.

The problem is you do not comprehend that all I am speaking of is on a spiritual level. Not on a carnal level. That is why unbelievers are not able to grasp the true meaning of Scriptures. They have no concept of the spirituality of the Christian Faith. We, who are disciples of Jesus Christ, are not "of" the world, even though we are "in" the world.

Scripture states that God is a Spirit, and those that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth. This concept is lost on the unbeliever.

God bless and keep you and yours

Well, I certainly qualify as an unbeliever when it comes to Christianity. That is true. So we are in agreement then that, in the world, Christianity is not divisive. I won't question whether or not it is in the spirit. I admit to not getting it. In Buddhism spirituality is unity. If it is divisive you are doing it wrong. We all see it our own way.

Credit for being honest enough to say you don't understand..........unbelievers never will. Only believers can understand the concept. Uh, wait, is that divisive? :)

Nope. Christians are completely integrated into our society. Not divisive at all.

That is so funny, no concept whatsoever of the Christian Faith. But, hey, that's ok, it is your right to remain uneducated.

You can call yourself a rebel, but if you wear a grey suit with a white shirt and red tie, go to the office every day, come home and sit in front of the tv until bed time, you have a hard time selling it.

The problem is you do not comprehend that all I am speaking of is on a spiritual level. Not on a carnal level. That is why unbelievers are not able to grasp the true meaning of Scriptures. They have no concept of the spirituality of the Christian Faith. We, who are disciples of Jesus Christ, are not "of" the world, even though we are "in" the world.

Scripture states that God is a Spirit, and those that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth. This concept is lost on the unbeliever.

Well, I certainly qualify as an unbeliever when it comes to Christianity. That is true. So we are in agreement then that, in the world, Christianity is not divisive. I won't question whether or not it is in the spirit. I admit to not getting it. In Buddhism spirituality is unity. If it is divisive you are doing it wrong. We all see it our own way.

Credit for being honest enough to say you don't understand..........unbelievers never will. Only believers can understand the concept. Uh, wait, is that divisive? :)

No. It's not. We are all on the same path, just at different points. All is unity. There is no such thing as divisiveness, but some may think there is. It is nothing to be concerned about. :)

Well Christianity as it is practiced today can certainly be divisive but I think that has more to do with the practitioners than Christianity itself. Paul could certainly be perceived as divisive and it is Paul that really matters since modern Christianity comes from Paul and not Jesus. The gospels were probably influenced by Paul, to some degree at least. Especially John which is quite different from the synoptic gospels so it is not surprising that the depiction of Jesus in John would be more in line with Paul's beliefs.

I suppose I would say that Christianity can be divisive. Paul could be interpreted as being divisive. Whether Jesus Himself was is anyone's guess, but I would lean toward no.

Again, no true understanding of Scripture........Paul himself said more than once that he preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Christianity does not come from Paul, but if you want to be deceived into thinking it does, then that is your right.

Well that's what Paul said. I am not so sure that's what he actually did. The epistles of Paul were the first and earliest Christian writings. There is evidence in his letters that he and the other apostles did not agree. You have to remember that Paul essentially bought his way into the good graces of Peter and the other apostles by promising to take up a collection for a church in Jerusalem. Prior to that the apostles basically blew him off. Now one would think that if there was disagreement between Paul and the others, that the others would probably know better since they actually knew Jesus and Paul didn't. Yet the form of Christianity that comes to us today is based upon Paul's teachings and not the other apostles. Now Paul may have gotten it right on the nose, but we really don't know since none of the writings of the other apostles survived if they ever existed at all.

Evident from the comments here, folks are not very familiar with the Gospel of Christ, and seem to all believe that being "divisive" is somehow a negative. Anyone who has just a small understanding of the Gospel of Christ will understand the OP. Those that don't, won't, as evidenced here. ;) It is also clear that folks do not know much about the Christian Faith. For whoever believed the OP was "railing" about Christ or Christianity, seriously?
Wrong.

And typical of most arrogant Christians, as many know Christian dogma well, which is why they reject it.
We can be accepting and inclusive.
Does not mean that we don't have the prerogative to be divisive when it comes to people or teachings that go against His Word

Evident from the comments here, folks are not very familiar with the Gospel of Christ, and seem to all believe that being "divisive" is somehow a negative. Anyone who has just a small understanding of the Gospel of Christ will understand the OP. Those that don't, won't, as evidenced here. ;) It is also clear that folks do not know much about the Christian Faith. For whoever believed the OP was "railing" about Christ or Christianity, seriously?
Wrong.

And typical of most arrogant Christians, as many know Christian dogma well, which is why they reject it.
Does not mean that we don't have the prerogative to be divisive when it comes to people or teachings that go against His Word

I don't know. Do we really have the right to be dicks to someone just because they have a different set of beliefs? Most of us don't appreciate the atheists that are dicks to us because we believe something different from them

No. It's not. We are all on the same path, just at different points. All is unity. There is no such thing as divisiveness, but some may think there is. It is nothing to be concerned about. :)

Ok, you are really wishing here....we are certainly NOT on the SAME path. You need to put down the Lennon toker and clear your mind...:) Before reality rears it's head.

Well Christianity as it is practiced today can certainly be divisive but I think that has more to do with the practitioners than Christianity itself. Paul could certainly be perceived as divisive and it is Paul that really matters since modern Christianity comes from Paul and not Jesus. The gospels were probably influenced by Paul, to some degree at least. Especially John which is quite different from the synoptic gospels so it is not surprising that the depiction of Jesus in John would be more in line with Paul's beliefs.

I suppose I would say that Christianity can be divisive. Paul could be interpreted as being divisive. Whether Jesus Himself was is anyone's guess, but I would lean toward no.

Again, no true understanding of Scripture........Paul himself said more than once that he preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Christianity does not come from Paul, but if you want to be deceived into thinking it does, then that is your right.

Well that's what Paul said. I am not so sure that's what he actually did. The epistles of Paul were the first and earliest Christian writings. There is evidence in his letters that he and the other apostles did not agree. You have to remember that Paul essentially bought his way into the good graces of Peter and the other apostles by promising to take up a collection for a church in Jerusalem. Prior to that the apostles basically blew him off. Now one would think that if there was disagreement between Paul and the others, that the others would probably know better since they actually knew Jesus and Paul didn't. Yet the form of Christianity that comes to us today is based upon Paul's teachings and not the other apostles. Now Paul may have gotten it right on the nose, but we really don't know since none of the writings of the other apostles survived if they ever existed at all.

So wrong........all of this.....you aren't even close.....it's ALL WRONG......

Wrong.

We are accepting and inclusive..........we welcome all new believers into the Family of God, and they are included among those who are heirs to the Promise. :)

Wrong.

I don't know. Do we really have the right to be dicks to someone just because they have a different set of beliefs? Most of us don't appreciate the atheists that are dicks to us because we believe something different from them

So speaking about the Gospel of Christ defines someone as a "dick?" Odd........or is it that there is someone willing to face the ridicule of the unbelievers to speak the Gospel of Christ that you find annoying?

"Is Christianity Divisive?"

The very purpose of Christianity, and indeed all religion, is to be divisive – to identify one religion as the 'correct' religion, and all other religions as 'false.'

TIPOFTHESPEAR SAID:

“So wrong........all of this.....you aren't even close.....it's ALL WRONG......”

And here is an example of the arrogance common to most Christians, the arrogance which makes the religion divisive.

Wrong.

We are accepting and inclusive..........we welcome all new believers into the Family of God, and they are included among those who are heirs to the Promise. :)
While you reject, denounce, and exclude those who don't believe in your faith, as Christianity is in fact divisive.

I guess I have had a completely different experience on the personal level.....and just have never felt or thought my religion is in any way divisive....

I've never felt that I was right and they were wrong.... I felt that God knows what he is doing, (it all baffles me)...let him handle it.....we are ALL his children.... I have great interest in learning about the history of ALL religions and feel no animosity towards people of other Faiths or the faithless....

So wrong........all of this.....you aren't even close.....it's ALL WRONG......

"18 Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas (Peter) and stayed with him fifteen days." (Gal. 1:18)

"21 Then I went to Syria and Cilicia. 22 I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ." (Gal. 1 21:22)

By the above verses we can see that Paul met with Peter, but nothing became of it so he moved on.

"1 Then after fourteen years, I went up again to Jerusalem, this time with Barnabas. I took Titus along also. 2 I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles." (Gal. 2:1-2)

" 9 James, Cephas (Peter) and John, those esteemed as pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the circumcised." (Gal. 2:9)

So after 14 years Paul gives it another shot. He goes back to the apostles and they say 'fine go preach to the Gentiles all you want and we will preach to the Jews' BUT they add

"10 All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor,..." (Gal 2:10)

In other words, send us money. So the apostles grant Paul the authority to preach to Gentiles on the condition that he takes collections from them and sends it to them. This is very clear in Paul's other letters. It is common theme that he points out to the people he is writing to that they need to take up a collection for Jerusalem, most notably in 2 Corinthians 8 where Paul goes to extreme lengths to tell the people at Corinth to pony up and he will send Titus to get it. Paul makes reference to it in Romans as well:

"25 Now, however, I am on my way to Jerusalem in the service of the Lord’s people there. 26 For Macedonia and Achaia were pleased to make a contribution for the poor among the Lord’s people in Jerusalem. 27 They were pleased to do it, and indeed they owe it to them. For if the Gentiles have shared in the Jews’ spiritual blessings, they owe it to the Jews to share with them their material blessings. 28 So after I have completed this task and have made sure that they have received this contribution, I will go to Spain and visit you on the way." (Rom 15:25-28)

Good Lord man, do you actually read the Bible or have you just heard about it? Sorry, am I being divisive? :D

Last edited:

Ok, you are really wishing here....we are certainly NOT on the SAME path. You need to put down the Lennon toker and clear your mind...:) Before reality rears it's head.

Yes, we are. You just don't understand since you are an unbeliever. Not to worry. It is only a matter of when, not if.

Forum List

Back