CDZ Is calling someone Fat okay?

The_Lyrical_Miracle

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2021
The topic of "Fat shaming" get's muddled down by simplicity. It usually goes like this:

Normal Person: Fat shaming is tough to hear but it's factually accurate and can cause self-reflection. Reality can be harsh.
Body Positive Activist: But it's mean and traumatizes people, I've been called fat and it hurt me. I feel beautiful how I am and I shouldn't be made fun of for it.
NP: Nobody is making fun of you. If someone relentlessly bullies you for being fat, it's wrong. But if someone sizes you up and says you're fat in an informative way, it's entirely appropriate.
BPA: Yes you can make changes... BUT (insert reason to stay overweight)

Does anyone on this board have a problem with people saying an obese person is fat? I'm not talking about pointing fingers in public and mocking them... I'm saying, whether warmly or coldly, just some constructive criticism that you're overweight, and there's significant health problems associated.

Also, does anyone support body positive activists trying influence the youth that "big is beautiful" to supposedly protect their mental health?

The topic of "Fat shaming" get's muddled down by simplicity. It usually goes like this:

Normal Person: Fat shaming is tough to hear but it's factually accurate and can cause self-reflection. Reality can be harsh.
Body Positive Activist: But it's mean and traumatizes people, I've been called fat and it hurt me. I feel beautiful how I am and I shouldn't be made fun of for it.
NP: Nobody is making fun of you. If someone relentlessly bullies you for being fat, it's wrong. But if someone sizes you up and says you're fat in an informative way, it's entirely appropriate.

Does anyone on this board have a problem with people saying an obese person is fat? I'm not talking about pointing fingers in public and mocking them... I'm saying, whether warmly or coldly, just some constructive criticism that you're overweight, and there's significant health problems associated.

Also, does anyone support body positive activists trying influence the youth that "big is beautiful" to supposedly protect their mental health?
Is it your place to tell anyone they are fat?

If a person asks you about their weight then you can certainly respond. I would rather hope you say something like "You are overweight and could stand to lose some" instead of saying "You're fat"

If you aren't asked then keep your comments to yourself.

Is it your place to tell anyone they are fat?

If a person asks you about their weight then you can certainly respond. I would rather hope you say something like "You are overweight and could stand to lose some" instead of saying "You're fat"

If you aren't asked then keep your comments to yourself.
I'm just trying clarify.. it's okay to call someone overweight, but not fat? What about "obese"?

Yes, if someone is fat, skinny, smelly etc.. then name away, and if they're quick enough, they would have a quick reply.

For example - I might be fat but you're ugly, and I can diet?

Do you know why I'm fat? Every time I shag your mom/dad, she/he gives me a biscuit.

I'm from the days of, "Sticks and stones"

Yes, if someone is fat, skinny, smelly etc.. then name away, and if they're quick enough, they would have a quick reply.

For example - I might be fat but you're ugly, and I can diet?

Do you know why I'm fat? Every time I shag your mom/dad, she/he gives me a biscuit.

I'm from the days of, "Sticks and stones", I'm not into this current pussy society.
Indeed. And I'm differentiating. I'm not saying mocking people and bullying them. But simply identifying that they're overweight, fat, obese, etc. Sometimes people need to be shook up a bit, and it's never easy. Reality is a b*tch sometimes, and nobody wants to leave their comfort zone, myself included.

is it ok to call a tall person tall??

a short person short??

and ugly person ugly??

a beautiful person beautiful??

Indeed. And I'm differentiating. I'm not saying mocking people and bullying them. But simply identifying that they're overweight, fat, obese, etc. Sometimes people need to be shook up a bit, and it's never easy. Reality is a b*tch sometimes, and nobody wants to leave their comfort zone, myself included.
Sometime ago, a friend of my girlfriend had put on a few pounds, a bit chubby. So her boyfriend not only called her fat, but left her because she was fat. From that moment onwards, she ate better and hit an exercise routine. Slimmed down, met a guy, got married and has a kid. And she still eats healthy and exercises.

So it took someone to call her fat and dump her for her to sort her fat arse out. But for every one of these stories, I bet there's a hundred fatties that just hit the biscuits when that happened.

And the golden rule, if you think you're having a bad day, just remember that somewhere now in the world, a fat kid just dropped his ice cream.

IMHO, only if you are that person's mom, and maybe not even then. Have you considered that interventions might also cause suicides? Nobody has to be told they are fat, they know that already.
Just because you know something doesn't mean you can't be pushed to do something about it. We can be pushed many ways. However, being overweight and hiding from doing anything about it is bad for someone's health. Sometimes there's a healthy amount of shame for all of us. "Wow, he said I'm way overweight.. maybe I am, how did I get this way?"

You seem to not want to confront anything.. that's not good.

Sometime ago, a friend of my girlfriend had put on a few pounds, a bit chubby. So her boyfriend not only called her fat, but left her because she was fat. From that moment onwards, she ate better and hit an exercise routine. Slimmed down, met a guy, got married and has a kid. And she still eats healthy and exercises.

So it took someone to call her fat and dump her for her to sort her fat arse out. But for every one of these stories, I bet there's a hundred fatties that just hit the biscuits when that happened.
Those are the stories that are more common than you might think.. but the leftist media certainly doesn't want them seeing the light of day.

And the golden rule, if you think you're having a bad day, just remember that somewhere now in the world, a fat kid just dropped his ice cream.
LMAO.

LMAO I can relate.

And just for the record. I'm not saying you walk up to some stranger and call them fat. I'm talking about serious conversation.
You can also be tactful. For example, in a previous job, there was a branch manger who said to his assistant manager, "Hey Kevin, if you had an employee and they had a bad case of body odour, how would you expect to handle it?". He replied, "Well, I would just tell them".

The manager said, "Ok Kevin, go buy some deodorant when you're on lunch because you stink"

True story.

You can also be tactful. For example, in a previous job, there was a branch manger who said to his assistant manager, "Hey Kevin, if you had an employee and they had a bad case of body odour, how would you expect to handle it?". He replied, "Well, I would just tell them".

The manager said, "Ok Kevin, go buy some deodorant when you're on lunch because you stink"

True story.
I guess I thought that was a give-in. That's probably part of the problem in this debate... the body positivity activist thinks that anyone bringing it up is laughing at them and mocking them.

Those are the stories that are more common than you might think.. but the leftist media certainly doesn't want them seeing the light of day.

LMAO.
Well, I was the passenger in a van and we going through town. It was the main Street so we going slow, stopping and starting. My mate was driving and this hefty lass was walking past, he wound the window down and shouted, "Do you know what your problem is love, you've only got one arsehole to shit out of". Then he wound the window up and carried out as nothing happened.

To this day, I wonder if she changed her life or hit the biscuits harder?

Last edited:

How can a person be hurt or traumatized, if they actually feel beautiful the way they are?
Would it help if we referred to them as Skinny-Challenged?

I guess I thought that was a give-in. That's probably part of the problem in this debate... the body positivity activist thinks that anyone bringing it up is laughing at them and mocking them.
Well, if you just went up to someone and called them fat, ugly etc.. then that's out of order really. Just like my mate in the van.

But 99.9% of fatties didn't get fat by eating two salads a day. I'm overweight, 15st. I did eat two salads a day and dropped to 11st 11lbs. But I enjoy pies, so I'm back to 15st. When a friend says, you're looking fatter, I reply, "Yes I know, it's my fault and I'm not bothered-ish".

Just because you know something doesn't mean you can't be pushed to do something about it. We can be pushed many ways. However, being overweight and hiding from doing anything about it is bad for someone's health. Sometimes there's a healthy amount of shame for all of us. "Wow, he said I'm way overweight.. maybe I am, how did I get this way?"

You seem to not want to confront anything.. that's not good.

You asked a question and I answered. No need to attack me cuz you didn't like what I had to say. "You seem to not want to confront anything.. that's not good." That's a personal attack, tame by USMB standards but nonetheless, that's how flame wars start. The usual response to your post might be a "Fuck you, you don't know anything about me", but I won't, lol.

Task, out.

Forum List

Back