Inflation rose 8.6% in May, highest since 1981

This is insane!

KEY POINTS
  • The consumer price index rose 8.6% in May from a year ago, the highest increase since December 1981. Core inflation excluding food and energy rose 6%. Both were higher than expected.
  • Surging food, gas and energy prices all contributed to the gain, with fuel oil up 106.7% over the past year.
  • Shelter costs, which comprise about one-third of the CPI, rose at the fastest 12-month pace in 31 years.
  • The rise in inflation meant workers lost more ground in May, with real wages declining 0.6% from April and 3% on a 12-month basis.

you should post the figures for when the REAL president was in the WH

+

This is insane!

KEY POINTS
  • The consumer price index rose 8.6% in May from a year ago, the highest increase since December 1981. Core inflation excluding food and energy rose 6%. Both were higher than expected.
  • Surging food, gas and energy prices all contributed to the gain, with fuel oil up 106.7% over the past year.
  • Shelter costs, which comprise about one-third of the CPI, rose at the fastest 12-month pace in 31 years.
  • The rise in inflation meant workers lost more ground in May, with real wages declining 0.6% from April and 3% on a 12-month basis.

Let’s Go Brandon!

This is insane!

KEY POINTS

Lol, I did not notice it one bit in 81. Guess I killed alot of tin soldiers back then.

This is not a problem. The wildly successful conservative theory of supply side economics dictates that this will just lead to more wealth for everyone, via economic growth, and people will actually have more purchasing power as a result.

Liar or you’re too stupid to know your credit card rates were in the 25%

So it's ok now?
Well I am sober these days so I notice more than I did in 81. I feel it at the pump. I run fishing charters and boats eat alot of gas, it has effected the bottom line for sure. It has not changed my lifestyle at this point. During fishing season I pretty much work and sleep. That has not changed. We will see how things feel at the end of the season. If less is saved from season then less screwing around During the winter.

Forum List

Back