Inflation rose 8.6% in May, highest since 1981

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
This is insane!

KEY POINTS
  • The consumer price index rose 8.6% in May from a year ago, the highest increase since December 1981. Core inflation excluding food and energy rose 6%. Both were higher than expected.
  • Surging food, gas and energy prices all contributed to the gain, with fuel oil up 106.7% over the past year.
  • Shelter costs, which comprise about one-third of the CPI, rose at the fastest 12-month pace in 31 years.
  • The rise in inflation meant workers lost more ground in May, with real wages declining 0.6% from April and 3% on a 12-month basis.

This is insane!

KEY POINTS
  • The consumer price index rose 8.6% in May from a year ago, the highest increase since December 1981. Core inflation excluding food and energy rose 6%. Both were higher than expected.
  • Surging food, gas and energy prices all contributed to the gain, with fuel oil up 106.7% over the past year.
  • Shelter costs, which comprise about one-third of the CPI, rose at the fastest 12-month pace in 31 years.
  • The rise in inflation meant workers lost more ground in May, with real wages declining 0.6% from April and 3% on a 12-month basis.

The last comment was something to point out.

The current administration keeps talking about wages going up. And patting themselves on the back for it as if they personally did it.

But the problem is it only went up for non skilled labor and entry level people, but inflation made those raises pointless as they are still where they were before the increase.

And for people like me who worked hard to become skilled labor and finally making a decent living the inflation in essence decreased my pay. Last year I was finally glad I was making comfortable wages when I took my new job, now it's like I never left my old job because inflation and gas prices took away all my new earnings. So now I am smarter, more responsible, more weight on my shoulders at work for nothing gained.

I can't even afford to drive to see my grandma every Sunday like I used to because the gas puts me over budget. I used to see her every Sunday, now it's once a month. And that hurts me and it angers me because I love her more than anyone else. She tries to give me gas money but I can't take it because she is 93 and not swimming in cash.

The last comment was something to point out.

The current administration keeps talking about wages going up. And patting themselves on the back for it as if they personally did it.

But the problem is it only went up for non skilled labor and entry level people, but inflation made those raises pointless as they are still where they were before the increase.

And for people like me who worked hard to become skilled labor and finally making a decent living the inflation in essence decreased my pay. Last year I was finally glad I was making comfortable wages when I took my new job, now it's like I never left my old job because inflation and gas prices took away all my new earnings. So now I am smarter, more responsible, more weight on my shoulders at work for nothing gained.

I can't even afford to drive to see my grandma every Sunday like I used to because the gas puts me over budget. I used to see her every Sunday, now it's once a month. And that hurts me and it angers me because I love her more than anyone else. She tries to give me gas money but I can't take it because she is 93 and not swimming in cash.

Yes, and unless you're getting a raise every month now, you'll likely never keep up with this kind of inflation.

That's really bad report. There had been some hope that - aside from energy and lesser in food - inflation for manftred goods would continue abating, and while inflation in services would be higher, people can more easily do without them, and the fed's rate hikes might already be having an effect.

I guess we can kiss those optimistic thoughts aside and hope the recession begins ... soon.

Forum List

Back