In a weird way, the GOP may have handed itself an opportunity on ABORTION

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I'm seeing several articles on how the GOP is trying to figure out a way to mitigate the damage from their overreach on abortion (yes, I know some of the True Believers will deny there has been any overreach, but we're going to deal with reality here).

The answer may be right in front of them. All they have to do is embrace a word that appears to scare the living shit out of their base.

Their smartest move may be to say, "okay, let's compromise on abortion. We want strict limits, you want no limits. WE are willing to COMPROMISE. Let's have a 16-week limit, plus the regular exceptions. We can meet in the middle, it will be available in a vast majority of situations, and everyone can get some of what they really want."

Instead of their standard, ham handed, all-or-nothing approach, they have a chance to be the adult in the room for a change. And who knows, maybe it won't kill them, and they'll be able to lead the way on OTHER issues, TOO. Maybe this could START something.

Not holding my breath.

I'm seeing several articles on how the GOP is trying to figure out a way to mitigate the damage from their overreach on abortion (yes, I know some of the True Believers will deny there has been any overreach, but we're going to deal with reality here).

The answer may be right in front of them. All they have to do is embrace a word that appears to scare the living shit out of their base.

Their smartest move may be to say, "okay, let's compromise on abortion. We want strict limits, you want no limits. WE are willing to COMPROMISE. Let's have a 16-week limit, plus the regular exceptions. We can meet in the middle, it will be available in a vast majority of situations, and everyone can get some of what they really want."

Instead of their standard, ham handed, all-or-nothing approach, they have a chance to be the adult in the room for a change. And who knows, maybe it won't kill them, and they'll be able to lead the way on OTHER issues, TOO. Maybe this could START something.

Not holding my breath.

Most of their rabid base will not accept that. The folks proposing it will be labeled as RINOs and be primaried out of their seats.

Not holding my breath.

The GOP pissed any credibility on abortion away. No woman will trust a conholes with their life or health.

Not holding my breath.

I can hear their lies already. "Vote for Us, We Changed Our Minds"

Another Mac1958 thread........

Step 1 - make an unsubstantiated statement, claim it is fact, and then say anyone who argues is a zealot.
Step 2 - Blame it all on conservatives, while saying he is being fair
Step 3 - Follow up with all posts that don't agree with him as crazy and claim it substantiates his original claim.

Most of their rabid base will not accept that. The folks proposing it will be labeled as RINOs and be primaried out of their seats.
Yeah, that's almost certainly true. This would need to be FAR more than one or two of them. They have to put their foot down.

If it were effective electorally, maybe the base would wake up. Maybe.

Another Mac1958 thread........

Step 1 - make an unsubstantiated statement, claim it is fact, and then say anyone who argues is a zealot.
Step 2 - Blame it all on conservatives, while saying he is being fair
Step 3 - Follow up with all posts that don't agree with him as crazy and claim it substantiates his original claim.
Mac Derangement Syndrome

They better do something or the dems are going to use the issue to flame their ass again.

The smart thing would be for red state legislatures to just say fuck it, give the wild-eyed women what they want, and move on. It's is and always will be a loser of a issue.

Well, given our current condition, I can't blame the electorate for rewarding a party for doing that.

Once our "leaders" (ha) learn they can be rewarded for doing something positive, maybe it will start a trend.
You saw how Youngkin gaslighted in VA by saying everyone will be OK and get used to 15 weeks.

Instead of their standard, ham handed, all-or-nothing approach, they have a chance to be the adult in the room for a change. And who knows, maybe it won't kill them, and they'll be able to lead the way on OTHER issues, TOO. Maybe this could START something. Not holding my breath.
There is no compromise with democrats on abortion.

The dems know that they have a solid majority in every state on that issue.

The GOP will be clubbed like baby seals in 2024 if they don't drop the "Pro-Life" mantra.

The GOP needs to swear that abortion is a state issue and they will NEVER push for ANY Federal regulation on abortion, period.

Not holding my breath.

Dont hold your breath waiting for dems to accept any limits on abortion

I don't see either side willing to compromise here.
Correct.

The dems have a solid Pro-Choice majority.

The GOP needs to adopt the policy that abortion is strictly a state issue, the GOP will never put up any Federal restrictions on abortion.

So not a compromise, a conceded policy to the majority of voters.

Forum List

Back