In a weird way, the GOP may have handed itself an opportunity on ABORTION

I'm seeing several articles on how the GOP is trying to figure out a way to mitigate the damage from their overreach on abortion (yes, I know some of the True Believers will deny there has been any overreach, but we're going to deal with reality here).

The answer may be right in front of them. All they have to do is embrace a word that appears to scare the living shit out of their base.

Their smartest move may be to say, "okay, let's compromise on abortion. We want strict limits, you want no limits. WE are willing to COMPROMISE. Let's have a 16-week limit, plus the regular exceptions. We can meet in the middle, it will be available in a vast majority of situations, and everyone can get some of what they really want."

Instead of their standard, ham handed, all-or-nothing approach, they have a chance to be the adult in the room for a change. And who knows, maybe it won't kill them, and they'll be able to lead the way on OTHER issues, TOO. Maybe this could START something.

Not holding my breath.

/——/ Libs never compromise on their agenda. It will always be abortions on demand with no restrictions.

There is no compromise with democrats on abortion.

The dems know that they have a solid majority in every state on that issue.

The GOP will be clubbed like baby seals in 2024 if they don't drop the "Pro-Life" mantra.

The GOP needs to swear that abortion is a state issue and they will NEVER push for ANY Federal regulation on abortion, period.
kyzr ^^^ NAILS IT! Look women don't like being controlled or told what to do by men, got it? Democrats will obliterate Republicans on this issue if Republicans don't back the hell off. So go ahead, when Dems have the White House and a super majority abortions for all will become law is that your goal? The SCOTUS seriously screwed us on this issue.

I'm seeing several articles on how the GOP is trying to figure out a way to mitigate the damage from their overreach on abortion (yes, I know some of the True Believers will deny there has been any overreach, but we're going to deal with reality here).

The answer may be right in front of them. All they have to do is embrace a word that appears to scare the living shit out of their base.

Their smartest move may be to say, "okay, let's compromise on abortion. We want strict limits, you want no limits. WE are willing to COMPROMISE. Let's have a 16-week limit, plus the regular exceptions. We can meet in the middle, it will be available in a vast majority of situations, and everyone can get some of what they really want."

Instead of their standard, ham handed, all-or-nothing approach, they have a chance to be the adult in the room for a change. And who knows, maybe it won't kill them, and they'll be able to lead the way on OTHER issues, TOO. Maybe this could START something.

Not holding my breath.

Federally? No. Each state can come to a compromise within itself. Dobbs was right and it should stand, unless you amend the constitution.

kyzr ^^^ NAILS IT! Look women don't like being controlled or told what to do by men, got it? Democrats will obliterate Republicans on this issue if Republicans don't back the hell off. So go ahead, when Dems have the White House and a super majority abortions for all will become law is that your goal? The SCOTUS seriously screwed us on this issue.
Scotus did the right thing. I don’t see how you say they screwed us. If the dems regain a scotus majority, you’ll probably see dobbs reversed, and if they gain the house back, you’ll see abortion become law, and then one will have to wonder…do they REALLY believe in the constitution?

Abortion is a piss off both sides issue. All the Dems have because Biden sucks. They will rev it up with lies and throw in BLM to boot.

That is what Nikki Haley keeps urging Republicans to do. She knows it is a losing issue for her party.
So does Trump

Scotus did the right thing. I don’t see how you say they screwed us. If the dems regain a scotus majority, you’ll probably see dobbs reversed, and if they gain the house back, you’ll see abortion become law, and then one will have to wonder…do they REALLY believe in the constitution?
The Constitution is just fine. It remains one of the greatest documents written by man.

It also, however, requires us to do the heavy lifting of changing hearts and minds via effective communication if we want our ideas to last, instead of just taking turns cramming our ideas down each other's throats and pissing each other off. Back and forth, back and forth.

It doesn't seem that either party gets that any more.

We had limits with RvW.
Only limits chosen by unelected judges, rather than by the people through the legislative process

Now I concede that morels have eroded to the point that abortion has the upper hand its winning elections

Which is doing it the right way

The Constitution is just fine. It remains one of the greatest documents written by man.

It also, however, requires us to do the heavy lifting of changing hearts and minds via effective communication if we want our ideas to last, instead of just taking turns cramming our ideas down each other's throats and pissing each other off. Back and forth, back and forth.

The Constitution was written on the expectation that it would force compromises to be made.

Todays Conservatives would rather see nothing gets done than a compromise solution

instead of just taking turns cramming our ideas down each other's throats and pissing each other off. Back and forth, back and forth.

But this is the problem that overstepping the cotus creates. When you start trying to make laws that were never supposed to be made..like roe..and many other things, that leads to people trying to shove things down other people’s throats.

The way to stop that from happening is to get back to the intent of the cotus, and let states start deciding their own things again.

Last edited:
The Constitution was written on the expectation that it would force compromises to be made.

Todays Conservatives would rather see nothing gets done than a compromise solution
They've been conditioned to equate collaboration with capitulation.

Limbaugh started that ball rolling. It had to be all or nothing. And here we are.

Not holding my breath.

I don’t think any of this is necessary. What is necessary is voluntary child support. As no one should force a woman to become a mother, no one should be able to force a man to become a father.

Seems fair since abortion is birth control and only women can agree to it.

But this is the problem that overstepping the scotus creates. When you start trying to make laws that were never supposed to be made..like roe..and many other things, that leads to people trying to shove things down other people’s throats.

The way to stop that from happening is to get back to the intent of the cotus, and let states start deciding their own things again.
Well, regardless of the impetus, it's still on us to do the right thing. And we sure as hell are not.

Not holding my breath.

LOL WHat is the "reality here?"

They've been conditioned to equate collaboration with capitulation.

Limbaugh started that ball rolling. It had to be all or nothing. And here we are.

Limbaugh would turn his Dittoheads on any Republican who dared to suggest compromise

Forum List

Back