In a weird way, the GOP may have handed itself an opportunity on ABORTION

The Constitution was written on the expectation that it would force compromises to be made.

Todays Conservatives would rather see nothing gets done than a compromise solution
That’s not true. When it comes to abiding by the constitution, no compromise SHOULD be made. In all things that the cotus relegates to the federal government, both sides should work toward the best solution, and yes, compromises should happen. In everything else, the states should have the ultimate authority.

The GOP needs to swear that abortion is a state issue and they will NEVER push for ANY Federal regulation on abortion, period.
That ship has sailed.

Republicans can SWEAR whatever they want about national abortion bans. Voters would need to be very gullible to believe that the GOP would hold their promise on that issue.

If they can pass a national abortion ban, they absolutely will.

That’s not true. When it comes to abiding by the constitution, no compromise SHOULD be made. In all things that the cotus relegates to the federal government, both sides should work toward the best solution, and yes, compromises should happen. In everything else, the states should have the ultimate authority.

You have obviously never read the Constitution.
It is intentionally vague

Well, regardless of the impetus, it's still on us to do the right thing. And we sure as hell are not.
I agree, but when there is so much opposition on what people want, when it comes to the federal government, neither side can agree on what the right thing is, which is why states rights is the best approach

I'm seeing several articles on how the GOP is trying to figure out a way to mitigate the damage from their overreach on abortion (yes, I know some of the True Believers will deny there has been any overreach, but we're going to deal with reality here).

The answer may be right in front of them. All they have to do is embrace a word that appears to scare the living shit out of their base.

Their smartest move may be to say, "okay, let's compromise on abortion. We want strict limits, you want no limits. WE are willing to COMPROMISE. Let's have a 16-week limit, plus the regular exceptions. We can meet in the middle, it will be available in a vast majority of situations, and everyone can get some of what they really want."

Instead of their standard, ham handed, all-or-nothing approach, they have a chance to be the adult in the room for a change. And who knows, maybe it won't kill them, and they'll be able to lead the way on OTHER issues, TOO. Maybe this could START something.

Not holding my breath.

Any compromise gets pre-emptively discombobulated precisely when clinging to reality: from pre-copulation to birth, there is never a time when there is not life-in-process. duh

I agree, but when there is so much opposition on what people want, when it comes to the federal government, neither side can agree on what the right thing is, which is why states rights is the best approach
My point in the thread is that the GOP is thinking -- and I'd sure agree -- that their moves so far have been a bad idea politically. That could transfer to the states, too.

It could be that we'd have a few states that flat-out banned abortions, but that would hurt them in the national elections.

And again, I only bring this up because many Republicans are. They see a real problem.

Let's say the Republicans somehow changed their minds and offered the compromise I mentioned in the OP.

Would it get any support from the Dems?

I think most Dems would agree to a 16 week ban except in extreme circumstances

There have been cases presented where a woman has been told late in pregnancy that the baby is alive but has serious issues that will not allow it to survive after birth.
Laws in some states force her to keep the baby for months with no hope of survival

There have been cases presented where a woman has been told late in pregnancy that the baby is alive but has serious issues that will not allow it to survive after birth.
Laws in some states force her to keep the baby for months with no hope of survival
I'd guess that they'd be more willing to compromise now that they've seen what can happen, too.

Not a great way to change minds, but that's how it could work out.

Let's say the Republicans somehow changed their minds and offered the compromise I mentioned in the OP.

Would it get any support from the Dems?
In a perfect world, sure. There’s nothing wrong with compromise and it could settle a very divisive issue.

Unfortunately, I don’t see that working here for a few reasons.

1. Republicans believe that abortion is murder. They can’t compromise on murder. They can’t allow some murder. They will flip on a compromise the first chance they get.

2. Democrats are not going to trust Republicans to stick to that compromise, and for good reason.

In a perfect world, sure. There’s nothing wrong with compromise and it could settle a very divisive issue.

Unfortunately, I don’t see that working here for a few reasons.

1. Republicans believe that abortion is murder. They can’t compromise on murder. They can’t allow some murder. They will flip on a compromise the first chance they get.

2. Democrats are not going to trust Republicans to stick to that compromise, and for good reason.
Yeah, getting it through the GQP would be the issue. It's often been said that the only way to break the fever in that party is a bunch of election losses, and maybe this might accomplish that. Maybe.

It's a damn shame that so many of their "leaders" are so worried about getting primaried. Another argument for term limits.

The Tara George issue in Ohio... at 20 weeks her ultrasound revealed her child would not live. State law prevented her from aborting due to the 6-week ban. She had to go to a sympathetic State to receive necessary healthcare. Ohio voters saw her story and responded.

Yeah, getting it through the GQP would be the issue. It's often been said that the only way to break the fever in that party is a bunch of election losses, and maybe this might accomplish that. Maybe.

It's a damn shame that so many of their "leaders" are so worried about getting primaried. Another argument for term limits.
Yea. Imagine watching Republican politicians standing up to their own supporters, telling them that some abortion should be acceptable. That might have been possible several years ago, but not in today's GOP. Now it's all about giving their base the red meat they want because they don't want to get primaried.

They need to kiss Trump's ass, say they love guns, and be against abortion. If they don't do all of that, then they're Marxist commie RINO Nazis and they get voted out and replaced with someone who will say all that.

MAGAmike wants to jail people for anything related to abortion.

Forum List

Back