‘I’m Italian’: Los Angeles mayoral contender says he’s not white

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Sign of the times. It's no longer a "privilege", it's a liability.

The Republican candidate for mayor of Los Angeles, Rick Caruso, faced criticism and mockery after claiming in a debate that he was not white but “Latin”, because he is Italian American.
He was responding to a question about the racial identity of the two candidates: him and Karen Bass, an African American Democratic congresswoman.

Related: Fourteen members of Republican Senate candidate’s family endorse rival

Moderating the debate on Tuesday night, the Telemundo journalist Dunia Elvir said: “And this question goes for the both of you. The next mayor of Los Angeles will be either an African American woman or a white man.”

Sign of the times. It's no longer a "privilege", it's a liability.

lol, what is this world coming to? Unless he is Italian from a foreign background, he is white.

This guy reinforces the racism that intelligent people are trying to get rid of. Ultimately I suppose people feeling the need to place themselves in a particular box can do so, but he shouldn't apply it to the rest of his ancestry who overwhelmingly consider themselves of the pale complexion, As with all people, to varying degrees of white.

I'm pretty sure whether you are a pale, blond guy from Sweden or a dark haired, tanned person from California, Israel or Italy, you are white. Even if a guy himself believes differently, 98% of the world will see him for what he is.

People might have different derogatory terms base on Nationality, we all know them, but ones skin color is what it is, beyond his control.

Historically he is right if he is S. Italian or Sicilian. Whoever was running the Anglo Star Chamber back in the day would have not considered them white, same for Irish, Greeks, some Slavs etc.

Historically he is right if he is S. Italian or Sicilian. Whoever was running the Anglo Star Chamber back in the day would have not considered them white, same for Irish, Greeks, some Slavs etc.
he is right....lots of some fairly dark people in my very southern Italian lineage.....

Italian-Americans have always been counted as white. He is simply realizing that in America 2022, he has more power politically to be in a "protected class" than he is to be white.
As I've always said, white people work and play without a net.

Forum List

Back