If You Want Change, Win An Election

Rinata

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Obama to GOP: 'Win an election' to change policies

President Barack Obama challenged the GOP to end political brinkmanship and said Republicans should "win an election" if they so badly wish to change his policies.

In his first extended remarks since the government reopened, Obama said that the public has grown "fed up" with its government and urged lawmakers to move past the conflict of the past few weeks.

"To all my friends in Congress, understand that how business is done in this town has to change," he said.

"You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election," The president said. "But don't break it.”

Obama to GOP: 'Win an election' to change policies - First Read

Good for the president!!! I guess he told them!!! :clap2:

We did win elections. That's why we have control of the House of Representatives. Because we won more federal elections than Democrats did.

We won the House twice. In 2010 and 2012.

How stupid is he to throw out such a meaningless line like that? He needs a better script writer.

President Barack Obama challenged the GOP to end political brinkmanship and said Republicans should "win an election" if they so badly wish to change his policies.

In his first extended remarks since the government reopened, Obama said that the public has grown "fed up" with its government and urged lawmakers to move past the conflict of the past few weeks.

"To all my friends in Congress, understand that how business is done in this town has to change," he said.

"You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election," The president said. "But don't break it.”

Obama is not King. Elections have consequences. The people voted for divided Government. Why can't Obama understand that?

We did win elections. That's why we have control of the House of Representatives. Because we won more federal elections than Democrats did.

you left out the part where Dems got more votes. The GOP'ers held on because of redistricting :thup:

Republicans Win Congress as Democrats Get Most Votes - Bloomberg
A majority of Americans disapprove of the Republicans in Congress, yet the odds remain in the party’s favor that it will retain control of the House. One big reason the Republicans have this edge: their district boundaries are drawn so carefully that the only votes that often matter come from fellow Republicans.

Last edited:

How stupid is he to throw out such a meaningless line like that? He needs a better script writer.

But did you win the Senate and POTUS? No you didn't so you don't get to hold the gov't hostage if you don't get your way.

Well, this seemed to go over certain heads!!!! Big surprise.

The way things have been going, I have to believe that by 2016 Republicans will have lost the House, even with all the advantages they have due to the way districts have been drawn to favor them. Remember one thing; in 2012 you won substantially more seats in the House, but Republicans received less overall votes than Democrats in those congressional races. Had the districts been drawn to favor Democrats, Democrats would now control the House.

The way things have been going, I have to believe that by 2016 Republicans will have lost the House, even with all the advantages they have due to the way districts have been drawn to favor them. Remember one thing; in 2012 you won substantially more seats in the House, but Republicans received less overall votes than Democrats in those congressional races. Had the districts been drawn to favor Democrats, Democrats would now control the House.

And if your Aunt had Balls, she would be your Uncle.

Your view that if "the districts had been drawn fair etc etc" is a fallacy because for that to work, enough districts would have had to have been won by the portion of the overvote required to reach the vote imbalance overall.

In short, you can control the district, but you cant control the vote breakdown, and alot of the democrats lead in total votes come from grubby little urban disctricts where only a democrat runs and the person wins 95% of the vote.

But you knew that already.

Last edited:

Gee, Rinata...what happened after the GOP won big in 2010? Did Obama change ANYTHING in how he was "doing business"? Or did he ignore that election?

What Barack Obama DID TODAY is what he's done every day since the 2010 mid-terms! He refused to admit that a large portion of the electorate doesn't agree with HIS agenda...and he demanded that the GOP ignore the people that elected them and rubber stamp what HE wants!

Now tell me how THAT attitude is going to work going forward! Explain to me how what Barack Obama is doing is going to fix things with the country?

But did you win the Senate and POTUS? No you didn't so you don't get to hold the gov't hostage if you don't get your way.

Actually they have the constitutional power to do exactly that. They can not be forced to approve policies they believe to be detrimental to the country.

Who has the power to draw up those districts, Auditor? You don't seem to grasp that power lies in the State legislatures and I hate to break this to you but the Republicans are doing much better at the State level than they are at the National. Why? Because people understand that GOP run States function better than those run by Democrats and therefore they vote for Republicans so they don't turn into the next California. Why do you think that's going to change any time soon?

Except it was the President holding the people Hostage. The House is the people's branch of government.

But you lost on the shutdown, and now the mainstream GOP is not going to let you do it again.

Um, they OWN the house, so yes they won elections! They have governors of most states, so yes they won elections.

Obama is not King. Elections have consequences. The people voted for divided Government. Why can't Obama understand that?

Why can't you?

An election does not give power to create stuff the government was never empowered to create...

And the funny thing is.. the election results did happen because of the want of change.. people evidently did not want DEM monopoly control after seeing spending increase, debt and deficit increase exponentially, and the passing of Obamacare.. hence why a REP congress was elected and hence why the system is bogged down and difficult to ram things thru, AS IT SHOULD BE

Well, this seemed to go over certain heads!!!! Big surprise.

Typical. Can't deal with the fact that your soundbyte is inaccurate since Republicans have been winning more Federal elections so you need to resort to insults.

One of these days, I would love to see you actually have a discussion to support your viewpoints instead of just resorting to insults

Forum List

Back