If you need the government's permission to exercise a right... it is not a right after all

rightnow909

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2021
If you need the government's permission to exercise a right... it is not a right after all

For some reason, this stuck in my head after a poster (name? can't recall) said this. I'm trying to figure out if background checks for gun-buyers is ... gummit permission? But it is looking like it to me.. convince me otherwise if you can

In any case, I totally agree that if the gummit puts restrictions on any right, meaning unreasonable ones that interfere with the spirit of the 2nd Amendment, then you do not have that right like you think. The thought occurs to me that X restriction today leads to Y restriction tomorrow until... voila'... you wake up one day and all the guns Americans used to own are now in the hands of

OMG

the commies who rule over us

For some reason, this stuck in my head after a poster (name? can't recall) said this. I'm trying to figure out if background checks for gun-buyers is ... gummit permission? But it is looking like it to me.. convince me otherwise if you can

In any case, I totally agree that if the gummit puts restrictions on any right, meaning unreasonable ones that interfere with the spirit of the 2nd Amendment, then you do not have that right like you think. The thought occurs to me that X restriction today leads to Y restriction tomorrow until... voila'... you wake up one day and all the guns Americans used to own are now in the hands of

OMG

hmmm.
parade permits
marriage license
voter ID
Tax ID for opening a biz
Bank disclosures of acct withdrawls
Warrentless spying on internet
restrictions on putting waste in streams
hunting
etc

everytime we allowed them to issue licenses or continuing education requirements or fees or business licenses, or fishing/hunting permits we gave them a little more power until they were able to control us by controlling business, medical, travel, entertainment. It's our own damn fault.

everytime we allowed them to issue licenses or continuing education requirements or fees or business licenses, or fishing/hunting permits we gave them a little more power until they were able to control us by controlling business, medical, travel, entertainment. It's our own damn fault.
What I really hate is food that's been inspected.

OMG

In America we must pay to exercise any and all actions considered or deemed individual rights or freedoms. When government puts restrictions on so-called God given rights such as firearm use and ownership or self defense, it is telling we the people that it no longer trusts us with whatever current or previous level of freedom. Any restriction or watering down of our Second Amendment right to keep and bear is government's way of reminding us we never had that right to begin with. This is not so much of a problem for our government as it used to be because social media, mass 24/7 news reporting and cell phone instant alerts make it much easier for our government to terrify millions of people into asking them to take our rights and freedoms away or severely restrict them. The only real rights we shall ever have are the ones we FIGHT to make and keep. At the end of the day the bulk of the American public, even diehard gun guys and gals, are only too happy to jump through as many hoops as government creates for firearm possession and ownership. In this way we can only blame ourselves for getting down on our knees and begging government for the right to keep and bear and forking over money to sweeten the deal.

If the govt can take away a right, it's not a right, it's a permission.
We don't have a Bill of Permissions

govt-permissions.jpg

Last edited:

OMG

Supreme Court ruled years ago, regulations applied to weapons do not interfere with the 2nd Amendment. Pay the radical right (all the guns, for all the people, all the time crowd) no mind or just come out and state you no longer support the Supreme Court as created in the constitution and are ready to join the little anarchy crowd. Institutions of government are not bad or outdate, just because the stand in the way of the nut ball (like Trump and trumper et al, getting their way. They just know you have to discredit the institutions if you have a chance in hell of getting away with it.

In America we must pay to exercise any and all actions considered or deemed individual rights or freedoms. When government puts restrictions on so-called God given rights such as firearm use and ownership or self defense, it is telling we the people that it no longer trusts us with whatever current or previous level of freedom. Any restriction or watering down of our Second Amendment right to keep and bear is government's way of reminding us we never had that right to begin with. This is not so much of a problem for our government as it used to be because social media, mass 24/7 news reporting and cell phone instant alerts make it much easier for our government to terrify millions of people into asking them to take our rights and freedoms away or severely restrict them. The only real rights we shall ever have are the ones we FIGHT to make and keep. At the end of the day the bulk of the American public, even diehard gun guys and gals, are only too happy to jump through as many hoops as government creates for firearm possession and ownership. In this way we can only blame ourselves for getting down on our knees and begging government for the right to keep and bear and forking over money to sweeten the deal.

It's really just Authoritarian Fascists attempting to use the Federal Platform to rob the Powers Reserved for the States,
by leveraging the opinions of people who live outside of their community,
and because they cannot draw the appropriate support to achieve their goals within their community.

What I really hate is food that's been inspected.
What I hate is endless resources being spent to end poverty and poverty is still the same while the percentage of taxes needed to keep the recipients treading water rise more and more. But I see the comparison game there.

What I hate is endless resources being spent to end poverty and poverty is still the same while the percentage of taxes needed to keep the recipients treading water rise more and more. But I see the comparison game there.
I don't think you're making any logical link to regulated rights and taxes spent to "end poverty," though I'm not a fan of the current progressive folks.

I don't think you're making any logical link to regulated rights and taxes spent to "end poverty," though I'm not a fan of the current progressive folks.
A poster stating "food inspections" because of great government is the reason for everything else. And those inspections are city, state and federal. And there has been a lot of lax work done and corruption with some.

I've been saying this for years.

I always thought it was funny that the die hard 2A supporters bragged about getting their OC/CC permits.

For the record, I support the 2A. But I don't support people like Ramos getting their hands on a gun. I'm not one of those "Kill my kids, but don't take my guns" nut cases.

hmmm.
parade permits
marriage license
voter ID
Tax ID for opening a biz
hunting
etc
parade permits
marriage license
voter ID
Tax ID for opening a biz
hunting
etc

Which Amendments protect those 'rights'?

parade permits
marriage license
voter ID
Tax ID for opening a biz
hunting
etc

Which Amendments protect those 'rights'?

Probably the 5th (and 4th for warrants) for all but voter ID which would be the 14th. But if you're really interested you can find where each right has been discussed in court cases

Forum List

Back