If You Need Help, Take It, And If You Can Give Help, Give It

How many of you agree with that sentiment?

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

How about something that may take precedence?
"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you".
What frustrates me is people identify that as "religious" characteristic... when it is a very practical usable adage in every day life.

An illustration...
Why do most people drive the speed limit in a school zone..
1) Because it is the law
2) Because they don't want to be caught
3) Because it makes sense.

The way the golden rule links with driving the speed limit is why would you risk your neighbor's kid's life driving over the limit because you
wouldn't want to put your kid's life at risk... That's how the Golden Rule is applied practically.
I know non-believers and/or the non-religious don't ascribe to that as being based on religious morals. But I believe it does.

In any case, we both agree that we should treat others like we would like to be treated.

That means that when you are in need, you really would like for someone to be there to help you out.

i'm here from the government and i'm here to "help' you

all i want in return is to enslave you in cyclical welfare dependency that spans generations; and your faithful vote no matter how much i take it for granted

I agree that the word "take" does seem a bit forceful, but that wasn't the intention, perhaps the word "get" or even "accept" would be better." As for the latter part, well yes, it is a suggested way of life.

Also, a principle of Christianity...for those of us who are so inclined.

Still, the definition of giving help is very open to interpretation.

For many the help they want is considered enabling bad decisions for others
That's a judgement call, and goes beyond what is required of us.

What if the good Samaritan Jesus spoke about applied the same rationale and decided that the badly hurt and damaged fellow should have known better and not be in that type of neighborhood at that time of day? He would have passed right by like the fellow Jew or the Pharisee. Right?
So this is a bait thread?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

It means you would like for someone to help you out. You aren't entitled to be helped out.

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

The sentiment is nice but it will never happen.

This country has more takers than givers. More people are on welfare than ever before and most blacks believing they are owed something. These people are not givers.
Well I knew where you were coming from from the get go. Blacks are the problem, and if we could just get them to straighten up and act right, or just get rid of them altogether, it would solve all our problems...right?

Nothing new here.

Carry on.

Not just blacks but everyone that expects the government to provide for them. That includes people of all races.

Oh and yes, if the blacks that are crying about reparations would just deal with the fact that it will never happen I think would go a long way in solving some problems.

Still, the definition of giving help is very open to interpretation.

For many the help they want is considered enabling bad decisions for others
That's a judgement call, and goes beyond what is required of us.

What if the good Samaritan Jesus spoke about applied the same rationale and decided that the badly hurt and damaged fellow should have known better and not be in that type of neighborhood at that time of day? He would have passed right by like the fellow Jew or the Pharisee. Right?
So this is a bait thread?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
What do you feel baited about sir?

Yeah.

But to me the bigger issue is cultural.

On one end, we need to do a better job of challenging people to be independent, and on the other we need to create a better culture of giving and helping.

This should have nothing to do with government. We have all the wealth and resources we need to do this without the government.

Who says we don't have a culture of giving and helping?
Last I read somewhere Americans gave over $300 billion a year to charities annually, and has grown every year except during recessionary periods.

Yeah.

But to me the bigger issue is cultural.

On one end, we need to do a better job of challenging people to be independent, and on the other we need to create a better culture of giving and helping.

This should have nothing to do with government. We have all the wealth and resources we need to do this without the government.

Who says we don't have a culture of giving and helping?
Last I read somewhere Americans gave over $300 billion a year to charities annually, and has grown every year except during recessionary periods.

Americans have always been generous. But still, I think there's room for improvement.

There are ideas out there for privately-funded community centers that offer job training, education, daycare for people taking those courses, and more, all funded by corporate donations. I actually started putting together some plans for those a while back and holy crap, now that you ask, maybe I'll get back on that.

We can always get better.

Both "sides" of this issue would be most productive by concentrating on their end and not by complaining about the other. The other "side" could spend less time complaining and finger-pointing and more time challenging low-income people to improve their own lives.

Both sides should clean up their own houses, which is the case in most major issues.

The sentiment is nice but it will never happen.

This country has more takers than givers. More people are on welfare than ever before and most blacks believing they are owed something. These people are not givers.
Well I knew where you were coming from from the get go. Blacks are the problem, and if we could just get them to straighten up and act right, or just get rid of them altogether, it would solve all our problems...right?

Nothing new here.

Carry on.

Not just blacks but everyone that expects the government to provide for them. That includes people of all races.

Oh and yes, if the blacks that are crying about reparations would just deal with the fact that it will never happen I think would go a long way in solving some problems.
You said "most blacks."

And who's talking about reparations?

Care to post some?

I am not Marc's biggest fan by a long shot.. but I did not take this as a bait thread

I think the personal choice of asking for help or helping others is one of the biggest ones we all have... I think helping others personally is one of the most noble and honorable things a person can do.. I think asking for help is one of the most humbling things a person can do...

I do, however, think it is wrong to force ones to help or guarantee a right to receive help, assistance, or entitlement

And I personally am in a bad place, as my company went bankrupt less than 2 weeks ago and I am on the market for a new position somewhere else.. no pay for last month, no payout of vacation, no severance, no nothing.. but I do what I have to do, and if I need to ask for help from those close to me, I will.. but I will accept day, week, or month contracts doing whatever work I can until such time as I find the next good position for me... Working a day contract, for me, pays better than a week of unemployment anyway

I agree that the word "take" does seem a bit forceful, but that wasn't the intention, perhaps the word "get" or even "accept" would be better." As for the latter part, well yes, it is a suggested way of life.

Also, a principle of Christianity...for those of us who are so inclined.

And as a Christian I have seen nowhere within the bible that says to shirk our responsibilities to the government, but for we, ourselves to engage with those in need. By saying "let our taxes do the work for us to help those in need" removes us from knowing what that persons very plight is and how we might come to know other ways in which we can help. It is so much easier to let someone else (or govt. body) do what we ourselves should be ordained to do.
Not sure how the OP lead you to taxes.

However, Scripture states that "the poor will always be with us."

What do you get from that?
Don't play dumb.

There is a personal responsibility to help the poor, and yes, there will always be poor amongst us, whether they be poor in material goods or spirit.

And my dollars go much further to help the poor when they do not deal with govt. bureaucary, red tape, etc. to help them.

There is not a single human being on earth who is a self made person.

WE all got help, we are all getting help and we will all continue to need help until WE DIE.

I know that's difficult for Libertarians to accept as true, but such is life, eh?

That's not been my experience (with libertarians). I think we get a skewed view in message board debates of libertarians, and pretty much everyone else I suppose, because of the different corners we push each other into. Libertarians often let state welfare advocates frame the debate as a choice between compassion for your fellow man and the 'virtue of selfishness', which is really unfortunate. Because most of us aren't making this choice. And we're not arguing against altruism. We're simply rejecting the idea that coercive government is the proper delivery mechanism.

It doesn't appear anyone is understanding your point editec. Perhaps you should reword it.

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

If you need help, get a job. If I see someone who needs help, I give them a dollar. Helping that one person with my dollar is the answer to helping the poor. I did my part now quit wasting my taxpayers on poor people. They need to get a job.

Is that about right?

Forum List

Back