If You Need Help, Take It, And If You Can Give Help, Give It

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
How many of you agree with that sentiment?

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

I think I might agree with it if it said something like this:

If you need help don't be afraid to ask for it, and if you can help, please do, but you won't be required to.

The way it's worded above it sounds as if one needs something they can take it, and if one can help they are obligated to help.

CaféAuLait;8838555 said:

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

If you need help don't be afraid to ask for it, and if you can help, please do, but you won't be required to.

The way it's worded above it sounds as if one needs something they can take it, and if one can help they are obligated to help.

That's how I took it anyway - the concept of 'help' implying voluntary assistance. I wouldn't call forcing someone to do something for me 'taking their help'.

CaféAuLait;8838555 said:

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

That's how I took it anyway - the concept of 'help' implying voluntary assistance. I wouldn't call forcing someone to do something for me 'taking their help'.

Yes, I agree. Sometimes I see questions and I want to make sure I understand the question, intent, or statement and have not misunderstood. :)

CaféAuLait;8838555 said:

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

I agree with this more than I do with the OP.

Only problem is, quite a few people look at those in need and say to themselves that someone else will take care of those who need the help, so they'll let others do it.

Me? If I'm riding my bicycle around on my usual route around town, I'll tuck a couple of dollars in my jersey pocket (anywhere from 3 to 5 dollars), and if I see someone with a sign standing on a streetcorner, I'll stop and give them the money.

I'm also willing to stop and give money almost anytime I see someone who is asking and they look like they need it. It's not much, just a couple of dollars or so, but if I have it, and I can afford to give it, I do.

Interestingly enough, I'm not a rich man, and I live on what my military pension is, but I'm still willing to share.

Most of the well off people I've seen tend to look anywhere except for where the person is, hoping that they don't make eye contact because they don't want to give.

Most of the people in my economic status that I've seen tend to be more towards the generous side and help out a little.

But then again.................if you've ever been on the short end of the stick, you know how it feels and in the end, people who have lived in poverty or close to it know how valuable a dollar or two is, and know how much it sucks to be in that position, and also remember how much they appreciated it when someone helped them.

CaféAuLait;8838555 said:

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

I agree with this more than I do with the OP.

Only problem is, quite a few people look at those in need and say to themselves that someone else will take care of those who need the help, so they'll let others do it.

Me? If I'm riding my bicycle around on my usual route around town, I'll tuck a couple of dollars in my jersey pocket (anywhere from 3 to 5 dollars), and if I see someone with a sign standing on a streetcorner, I'll stop and give them the money.

I'm also willing to stop and give money almost anytime I see someone who is asking and they look like they need it. It's not much, just a couple of dollars or so, but if I have it, and I can afford to give it, I do.

Interestingly enough, I'm not a rich man, and I live on what my military pension is, but I'm still willing to share.

Most of the well off people I've seen tend to look anywhere except for where the person is, hoping that they don't make eye contact because they don't want to give.

Most of the people in my economic status that I've seen tend to be more towards the generous side and help out a little.

But then again.................if you've ever been on the short end of the stick, you know how it feels and in the end, people who have lived in poverty or close to it know how valuable a dollar or two is, and know how much it sucks to be in that position, and also remember how much they appreciated it when someone helped them.

We sound very much alike in the area of giving. If I have cash I give like the instances you mention above.. In other cases I'll buy a sandwich, drink, and fruit or whatever and hand this to the person in need who was in front of the store asking for assistance. Many a time people do not ask, ill see an obvious homeless person and stop to give food from a nearby food store, or even a hot coffee. I've gone as far as giving the coat off my back to one woman. I often wonder if I've done enough but will always donate to causes as well. IMO reaching out can make a person who has nothing at least have a smile even for a brief moment.

If one is open to receiving help, one becomes strong enough to offer help to others, and having been helped, might be more likely to recognize the need in others.

There is not a single human being on earth who is a self made person.

WE all got help, we are all getting help and we will all continue to need help until WE DIE.

I know that's difficult for Libertarians to accept as true, but such is life, eh?

There is not a single human being on earth who is a self made person.

WE all got help, we are all getting help and we will all continue to need help until WE DIE.

I know that's difficult for Libertarians to accept as true, but such is life, eh?

good one dork; but the government thinks everybody got help from them and nobody else; and even if you paid along the way, you owe some kind of eternal debt to Big Government

idiots and hypocrites

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

Marx beat you to it "to each according to his needs, from each according to his abilities"

Problem with that is that the govt decides your needs and your abilities.

If one is open to receiving help, one becomes strong enough to offer help to others, and having been helped, might be more likely to recognize the need in others.

Yes, but it should be voluntary on both sides-------not mandated by the government.

CaféAuLait;8838555 said:

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

I agree that the word "take" does seem a bit forceful, but that wasn't the intention, perhaps the word "get" or even "accept" would be better." As for the latter part, well yes, it is a suggested way of life.

Also, a principle of Christianity...for those of us who are so inclined.

CaféAuLait;8838555 said:

How many disagree?

Why/why not?

I agree that the word "take" does seem a bit forceful, but that wasn't the intention, perhaps the word "get" or even "accept" would be better." As for the latter part, well yes, it is a suggested way of life.

Also, a principle of Christianity...for those of us who are so inclined.

Still, the definition of giving help is very open to interpretation.

For many the help they want is considered enabling bad decisions for others

Accept is a good choice of words, Marc. I agree with you that this is a principle of Christianity and a reflection of the early church. They shared what they had so that those who lacked had enough and those who had an abundance were given an opportunity to help their brethren.

This ended when Communism took the principle taught in the book of Acts and implemented their own "commune" style doctrine which took by force what belonged to others to redistribute to everyone else. ( this is where the enemies of Jesus Christ came up with the term "Communism" - its commune living without Jesus Christ as Lord and Master - instead the Communist leaders want to be your Lord and Master )

Another difference of course was that the Apostles who led the early church lived very frugal lives. They never tried to take advantage of the situation. The evidence: Paul had one coat. Not a forty million dollar mansion with 2 closets packed full of designer suits. The Apostles wouldn't have dreamed of living extravagant lives like the Communist leaders have done. While they do adhere to the principles of Book of Acts they deny Jesus Christ and have attempted to replace him as Lord over the people. They live like Kings while the people live in poverty and are treated like a herd of cattle.

If you will note Mao, Kim Jong Il, etc have all had demanded the people of their nations worship them as a deity. These communist leaders dined like Kings while their people starved to death and lacked the basic necessities. There is nothing new under the sun as the writer of Ecclesiastes said. It is still going on today.

The bible teachings are quite different from Liberation theology teachings. The bible says if a man will not work neither will he eat. The bible says a man would plant his own own vineyard, build his own house. He would profit from his own vineyard and live in the house he built.

Communism teaches the opposite of what the bible teaches. It is a doctine of devils.

Last edited:
Meet Bella Dodd, a woman who became one of the most powerful figures of the American Communist Party in it's early years. This is her story:

The year 1953 saw Bella called up by a Congressional committee investigating the infiltration of Communists in the high places of the United States government. Her newfound faith strengthened her to face this ordeal with courage and determination. She swore before the Senate Internal Security subcommittee that there were a number of Communists in legislative offices in Congress and in a number of groups advising the President of the United States. She also testified to the Communist takeover of labor unions in the country and of her personal experience securing posts for members of the Party in the unions.

Perhaps most frightening of all was her testimony that during her time in the Party, “more than eleven hundred men had been put into the priesthood to destroy the Church from within,” the idea here being that these men would be ordained to the priesthood and progress to positions of influence and authority as monsignors and even bishops. She stated that “right now they are in the highest places in the Church” where they were working to weaken the Church’s effectiveness against Communism. These changes, she declared, would be so drastic that “you will not recognize the Catholic Church.” A few years later, in a conversation with a new Catholic friend, Alice von Hildebrand, Bella told her that there are four cardinals within the Vatican “who are working for the Communists.” This was twelve years before Vatican II. The reader can draw his own conclusions.

Shortly after her conversion, Bella had great hope for the youth of America. She saw goodness and a giving, missionary spirit in the young Catholics she worked with. Bella died in 1964 at the age of sixty.

Bella Dodd did much harm to her country and her Church. It is a great blessing that she repented of those sins. Continue reading on link below....

Bella Dodd is a key figure in understanding how communism infiltrated the Roman Catholic Church and created an epidemic of sexual abuse / molestation upon generations of altar boys, Catholic school boys and girls, children who attended their afterschool programs, etc. She is the key figure in understanding how Communists sought out community organizers with high skills such as her abilities had proven... She is a key figure in understanding how the communists infiltrated the Unions, our Government and in this case? Our churches and the doctrines of our churches! The altering of the Gospel to a false one of Marxism by some Catholic priests was not a random event. They became Priests in order to infiltrate the church. These men and women serve Satan. Not God!!! It is a plan unfolding that is decades old.

Today the Communists have infiltrated the mega evangelical churches - these pastors are communists - they live like Kings while their congregations live like paupers. Its the religion of Communism ( Liberation theology is Marxism ) and they like it that way. I wouldn't give a single one of them a nickel but millions will tune in on Sunday and send them their last dollar. Be led by the Holy Spirit about what you give to, People. Not everything is of God. Don't fund communism in the church. Buy your elderly neighor on a fixed income some groceries instead. Pay their electric bill. Then you'll know you're giving to God.

http://catholicism.org/bella-dodd-—-from-communist-to-catholic.html

Last edited:

Forum List

Back