If the U.S. has no separation of church and state, what is the state religion?

Smilodonfatalis

May 5, 2013
A lot of religious nuts insist there is no separation of church and state in the United States because the constitution doesn't use the exact words "separation of church and state."

If there is no separation of church and state, than that means there must be an official state religion.

I'd like to know what they think it is.

Obviously, barring the establishment of a state religion means the exact same thing as separation of church and state. It's a synonym.

A lot of religious nuts insist there is no separation of church and state in the United States because the constitution doesn't use the exact words "separation of church and state."

If there is no separation of church and state, than that means there must be an official state religion.

Obviously, barring the establishment of a state religion means the exact same thing as separation of church and state. It's a synonym.

No, it doesn't. Fallacy fail. Thread fail.
/end

Right now it is worship of the state, specifically the presidunce.

In bygone eras, the king was divine. His hand was God's hand. We have gone all the way around to the divine right of kings to rule, some who, by virtue of birth has power over others. In this case it isn't only birth, but race. This would not have happened if obama had not been black. He is the diety of the state religion. Disagreement is treason and heresy.

The unofficial state religion has been a form of civil Christianity, which for a hundred and fifty years or more has been a compound of white mainstream protestant and evangelical values.

That has been failing the last two decades as a result of the increasingly secularism of society.

We won't, as a nation, go back to what was the unofficial state religion. The millennial and X and Y generations will not permit such a regressive cultural move.

Of coarse we have a separation of church and state, anyone who say's otherwise is a fucking lunatic.

Or someone who lives in the ME.

There is no "State Religion" because the Constitution specifically prohibits THE STATE from ESTABLISHING a religion - i.e., England and the Church of England,

These idiots that claim that every time there is a religious exercise anywhere NEAR a government building that somehow the state is endorsing a religion is ridiculous. The Congress of the United States opens each session with prayer. The 10 commandments are posted in the building. "In God We Trust" is over the Lectrum. The same with the schools and the recognition of "Christmas" (a federally recognized national holiday) is verboten - it is NOT and has been upheld a number of times in the courts. There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with celebrating a national holiday in schools. The only confrontation comes when these jerk-offs and their "separation" threaten to file "action" against school systems and the school boards acquiesce to their BS demands rather than go to court (where they would win).

If anything, look at Barry and his followers. They would love nothing more than to impose the state religion of "GOVERNMENT" on every citizen of the United States.

Since the election of Ronald Reagan, the official Deity worshiped in the United States has been the (once and no more) Almighty Dollar.

You are certainly supported by Supreme Court jurisprudence. That is undeniable. Read any SCT case involving the Establisment Clause and you, my friend, are vindicated.

If anything, look at Barry and his followers. They would love nothing more than to impose the state religion of "GOVERNMENT" on every citizen of the United States.
You will wear your gray burlap smock. Work in the government fields. And enjoy your nutritious government gruel while reciting the union song.

Can I get a collective, "Da!" My comrades!

This land is your land, this land is my land....this land was made for you and me.

How do you prove a negative? Along with prohibiting the establishment of a religion the 1st Amendment prohibits the making of any law that impedes the free exercise of religion. The bigoted left got around the "making" part of the Constitution by finding a loophole that did not exist. The modern concept of "separation church/state" is an invention by a FDR appointed Supreme Court justice who was also a former KKK member who hated Papists. The bigoted left drags out Jefferson letters that tend to reinforce the separation concept but Jefferson's letters are not part of Constitutional law.

How do you prove a negative? Along with prohibiting the establishment of a religion the 1st Amendment prohibits the making of any law that impedes the free exercise of religion. The bigoted left got around the "making" part of the Constitution by finding a loophole that did not exist. The modern concept of "separation church/state" is an invention by a FDR appointed Supreme Court justice who was also a former KKK member who hated Papists. The bigoted left drags out Jefferson letters that tend to reinforce the separation concept but Jefferson's letters are not part of Constitutional law.
All law is man-made. All supreme court cases support the conclusion that there is a metaphorical wall btn church and state. Any state action that proselytizes is an establishment clause violation.

I know I certainly don't want big government shoving religion down my throat. Do you?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Seems that reading that any other way would be sort of misguided.

If the U.S. has no separation of church and state, what is the state religion?

Well, it does – which is why there isn’t any.

Then those individuals would be ignorant of the fact that the Constitution exists only in the context of its case law:

[T]he First Amendment's language, properly interpreted, had erected a wall of separation between Church and State.

FindLaw | Cases and Codes

All law is man-made. All supreme court cases support the conclusion that there is a metaphorical wall btn church and state. Any state action that proselytizes is an establishment clause violation.

I know I certainly don't want big government shoving religion down my throat. Do you?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Seems that reading that any other way would be sort of misguided.

I'd be interested examples of how the government could be involved in "shoving religion down my throat" other than establishing a religion. I think the church/state bigots are the same establishment democrats who thought the civil rights act was "shoving freedom down our throats".

Forum List

Back