If the U.S. has no separation of church and state, what is the state religion?

A lot of religious nuts insist there is no separation of church and state in the United States because the constitution doesn't use the exact words "separation of church and state."

If there is no separation of church and state, than that means there must be an official state religion.

I'd like to know what they think it is.

Obviously, barring the establishment of a state religion means the exact same thing as separation of church and state. It's a synonym.

separation of church and state

So....tell us where this phrase came from?

There is no "State Religion" because the Constitution specifically prohibits THE STATE from ESTABLISHING a religion - i.e., England and the Church of England,

These idiots that claim that every time there is a religious exercise anywhere NEAR a government building that somehow the state is endorsing a religion is ridiculous. The Congress of the United States opens each session with prayer. The 10 commandments are posted in the building. "In God We Trust" is over the Lectrum. The same with the schools and the recognition of "Christmas" (a federally recognized national holiday) is verboten - it is NOT and has been upheld a number of times in the courts. There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with celebrating a national holiday in schools. The only confrontation comes when these jerk-offs and their "separation" threaten to file "action" against school systems and the school boards acquiesce to their BS demands rather than go to court (where they would win).

If anything, look at Barry and his followers. They would love nothing more than to impose the state religion of "GOVERNMENT" on every citizen of the United States.

Well said.

A lot of religious nuts insist there is no separation of church and state in the United States because the constitution doesn't use the exact words "separation of church and state."

If there is no separation of church and state, than that means there must be an official state religion.

Obviously, barring the establishment of a state religion means the exact same thing as separation of church and state. It's a synonym.

You seem confused by just about all the terminology you tried to use there.

The GOP rank & file regret the establishment clause of the first amendment, and don't tell me they don't. Social conservatives would LOVE to turn the whole country into one big conservative christian police state.

The GOP rank & file regret the establishment clause of the first amendment, and don't tell me they don't. Social conservatives would LOVE to turn the whole country into one big conservative christian police state.

Leave out "conservative Christian" and you've described Democrats.

the gop rank & file regret the establishment clause of the first amendment, and don't tell me they don't. Social conservatives would love to turn the whole country into one big conservative christian police state.

horseshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you prove a negative? Along with prohibiting the establishment of a religion the 1st Amendment prohibits the making of any law that impedes the free exercise of religion. The bigoted left got around the "making" part of the Constitution by finding a loophole that did not exist. The modern concept of "separation church/state" is an invention by a FDR appointed Supreme Court justice who was also a former KKK member who hated Papists. The bigoted left drags out Jefferson letters that tend to reinforce the separation concept but Jefferson's letters are not part of Constitutional law.

Please tell us how your right to free exercise of your religion has been impaired.

Anyone, Christian or Muslim or Jew or whatever faith, who says their civil and religious liberties have been threatened, please give us concrete examples.

Considering conservative America's pro israel stance , the republicans parties religion would have to be judaism as a close runner up to their #1 religion/worship , money.

You are quite full of shit.

Tell me....why did the Founders include the language that they did concerning religion?

How do you prove a negative? Along with prohibiting the establishment of a religion the 1st Amendment prohibits the making of any law that impedes the free exercise of religion. The bigoted left got around the "making" part of the Constitution by finding a loophole that did not exist. The modern concept of "separation church/state" is an invention by a FDR appointed Supreme Court justice who was also a former KKK member who hated Papists. The bigoted left drags out Jefferson letters that tend to reinforce the separation concept but Jefferson's letters are not part of Constitutional law.

Please tell us how your right to free exercise of your religion has been impaired.

Kids arrested for carrying a Bible to school. Christians prohibited from school grounds after school while crazy clubs promoting witchcraft have a wide acceptance. Prohibition of the Manger Scene on public property during Christmas. The court order that a Korean War Memorial in San Diego be demolished because it contains a 40 ft Cross. Small towns fearful of a ACLU law suit for a Christmas tree on public property. Prayer or the mention of a Christian God or symbols of Christianity prohibited in American public schools.

Kids arrested for carrying a Bible to school. Christians prohibited from school grounds after school while crazy clubs promoting witchcraft have a wide acceptance. Prohibition of the Manger Scene on public property during Christmas. The court order that a Korean War Memorial in San Diego be demolished because it contains a 40 ft Cross. Small towns fearful of a ACLU law suit for a Christmas tree on public property. Prayer or the mention of a Christian God or symbols of Christianity prohibited in American public schools.
People forced to bake cakes against their will. Employers forced to cover medical procedures that violate their conscience.
This administration has done more to destroy the balance that has been crafted over decades than anything else.

All law is man-made. All supreme court cases support the conclusion that there is a metaphorical wall btn church and state. Any state action that proselytizes is an establishment clause violation.

I know I certainly don't want big government shoving religion down my throat. Do you?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Seems that reading that any other way would be sort of misguided.

Reading it and understanding the meaning are two different things. If congress cannot make any laws prohibiting the free exercise of religion, what leads you to believe that the courts can rightfully do so?

That clause takes the exercise of religion out of the control of government, and that means all government. The courts, right up and including the Supreme Court are part of government, and are subject to the first amendment.

When government is excluded, free exercise is subject only to the acceptance of the public social code. On religion, that was primarily live and let live, until the courts took it upon themselves to impose their own sense of what was good for the public.

Damn, you really do know everything, don't you?

Forum List

Back