If the U.S. has no separation of church and state, what is the state religion?

When I went to school we said The Lord's Prayer every day, right along with the Pledge of Allegiance. Every day. Bow your head and say the prayer.

We didn't have any religion at home. It was simply not part of our lives so I asked my mother why I had to say a prayer every day when it wasn't our religion. She told me that it certainly isn't going to hurt anyone, say the prayer. It's good for you.

She was right. It certainly isn't harmful. It might be good to remind children to forgive their tresspassers once in awhile.

SCOTUS disagrees.

The present, or future, SCOTUS can reverse field any day.

My fervent hope is that you nuts piss off so many people that we one day get a truly conservative Court and some of the nonsense that the left and the right have been pushing for years gets reversed

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the thought that little boys can use the girl's restroom at school, but not pray.

How stupid are some of you?

A lot of religious nuts insist there is no separation of church and state in the United States because the constitution doesn't use the exact words "separation of church and state."

If there is no separation of church and state, than that means there must be an official state religion.

I'd like to know what they think it is.

Obviously, barring the establishment of a state religion means the exact same thing as separation of church and state. It's a synonym.

There is no state religion and the Constitution does not say "separation of church and state".

So what are you confused about?

No confusion.

My point is the establishment clause = separation of church and state. It means the same thing in different words.

That was the intent of Thomas Jefferson, you know, the guy who actually wrote the 1st amendment.

Why are people SO misinformed as to think Jefferson was in the country, much less wrote the First Amendment. To be accurate, those Founders involved in debating and offering various drafts of the First Amendment are James Madison, Peter Sylvester, Benjamin Huntington, Samuel Livermore, and Fisher Ames.

When I went to school we said The Lord's Prayer every day, right along with the Pledge of Allegiance. Every day. Bow your head and say the prayer.

We didn't have any religion at home. It was simply not part of our lives so I asked my mother why I had to say a prayer every day when it wasn't our religion. She told me that it certainly isn't going to hurt anyone, say the prayer. It's good for you.

She was right. It certainly isn't harmful. It might be good to remind children to forgive their tresspassers once in awhile.

SCOTUS disagrees.

My fervent hope is that you nuts piss off so many people that we one day get a truly conservative Court and some of the nonsense that the left and the right have been pushing for years gets reversed

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the thought that little boys can use the girl's restroom at school, but not pray.

The "stupid" you are talking to is the man in your mirror.

The "so many people" you write about disagree with you. You are in the small minority.

Your child can pray in school so long as he does not try to grab the PA with authority approval.

This is over.

There is no state religion and the Constitution does not say "separation of church and state".

No confusion.

My point is the establishment clause = separation of church and state. It means the same thing in different words.

That was the intent of Thomas Jefferson, you know, the guy who actually wrote the 1st amendment.

Why are people SO misinformed as to think Jefferson was in the country, much less wrote the First Amendment. To be accurate, those Founders involved in debating and offering various drafts of the First Amendment are James Madison, Peter Sylvester, Benjamin Huntington, Samuel Livermore, and Fisher Ames.

And what were the later writings on the subject, my friend?

SCOTUS has opined, the far right has whined, and the separation of church and state shined.

Give your opinions, folks, but SCOTUS makes the final decisions.

SCOTUS has opined, the far right has whined, and the separation of church and state shined.

Yeah, they've opined in completely contradictory ways which I have proven and which you refuse to address. Jake, your entitled to your opinion, but saying it is settled law per the Supreme Court is completely false.

The inclusion of religious symbols in public holiday displays came before the Supreme Court in Lynch v. Donnelly (1984), and again in Allegheny County v. Greater Pittsburgh ACLU (1989). In the former case, the Court upheld the public display of a crèche, ruling that any benefit to religion was "indirect, remote, and incidental." In Allegheny County, however, the Court struck down a crèche display, which occupied a prominent position in the county courthouse and bore the words Gloria in Excelsis Deo, the words sung by the angels at the Nativity (Luke 2:14 in the Latin Vulgate translation). At the same time, the Allegheny County Court upheld the display of a nearby menorah, which appeared along with a Christmas tree and a sign saluting liberty, reasoning that "the combined display of the tree, the sign, and the menorah ... simply recognizes that both Christmas and Hanukkah are part of the same winter-holiday season, which has attained a secular status in our society."

In 2001, Roy Moore, then Chief Justice of Alabama, installed a monument to the Ten Commandments in the state judicial building. In 2003, he was ordered in the case of Glassroth v. Moore by a federal judge to remove the monument, but he refused to comply, ultimately leading to his removal from office. The Supreme Court refused to hear the case, allowing the lower court's decision to stand.

On March 2, 2005, the Supreme Court heard arguments for two cases involving religious displays, Van Orden v. Perry and McCreary County v. ACLU of Kentucky. These were the first cases directly dealing with display of the Ten Commandments the Court had heard since Stone v. Graham (1980). These cases were decided on June 27, 2005. In Van Orden, the Court upheld, by a 5-4 vote, the legality of a Ten Commandments display at the Texas state capitol due to the monument's "secular purpose." In McCreary County, however, the Court ruled 5-4 that displays of the Ten Commandments in several Kentucky county courthouses were illegal because they were not clearly integrated with a secular display, and thus were considered to have a religious purpose.

No confusion.

And what were the later writings on the subject, my friend?

The letter Jefferson wrote was directed in response towards a Baptist minister. Last I checked, Baptists were still "Christians" just of a different denomination (those who are unfamiliar with religion, should take the time to first understand what that word infers).

A small history lesson for you Jake. The. Danbury "Baptists", although still very much following the Bible of the CHRISTIAN faith, we're very concerned of having a government which made allowances towards one Denomination (there's that word again) while forcing all others to conform to their particular set of beliefs. This is what they had found before with the Church of England. Thomas Jefferson was ensuring all those concerned, that our government would remain out of religion [a wall of separation between church and state] and allow each minister regardless of their demonizations or beliefs to worship freely according to their own conscience.

"I am for freedom of Religion, and against all maneuvers to bring about a legal ascendency of one sect over another."

"Nay we have heard it said that there is not a Quaker or a Baptist, a Presbyterian or an Episcopalian, a Catholic or a Protestant in heaven; that on entering that gate, we leave those badges of schism behind. Let us not be uneasy about the different roads we may pursue, as believing them the shortest, to that our last abode; but following the guidance of a good conscience, let us be happy in the hope that by these different paths we shall all meet in the end. And that you and I may meet and embrace, is my earnest prayer. And with this assurance I salute you with brotherly esteem and respect."

-- Thomas Jefferson September 26, 1814 writing to Miles King

Last edited:

SCOTUS disagrees.

This is the crux of the matter. We have one of the worst public school systems on the planet and yet what do we worry about? the child's "feelings" and whether or not little "Johhny" is actually a little "Janey".

We are more concerned about "upsetting" a child if they hear the Lord's Prayer but encourage them to "come out of the closet" at age 6.

This country is absolutely upside down and has been for some time. Either it changes - or it WILL destroy us.

SCOTUS disagrees.

The "stupid" you are talking to is the man in your mirror.

The "so many people" you write about disagree with you. You are in the small minority.

Your child can pray in school so long as he does not try to grab the PA with authority approval.

This is over.

It's not over, but be that as it may. My question is who the hell wants a country where little boys can say they are little girls but they can't gather together and have a prayer?

How about some priorities? How about some damned decency?

Some of you alleged liberals don't merely want to make things pleasant for everyone no matter their choices, you actually want to PUNISH people who don't think the way you do.

It's sickening to me that anyone would defend some of the crap we see some of these liberals doing and then tun right around and condemn something as innocuous as public prayer.

You know, I'm actually for the government getting out of marriage altogether, let a gay get married if they want. THAT s following the first amendment, not your stupid belief that people who prayed in PUBLIC buildings some how meant to keep US from doing so.

I notice you have not once addressed THAT subject.

Separation of church and state my ass

The Office of the Chaplain, United States House of Representatives

No confusion.

James Madison wrote the Bill of Rights, but he was mentored by Thomas Jefferson who advocated a Bill of Rights. James Madison was at first reluctant to write a Bill of Rights. He would have never written it without the influence of Thomas Jefferson.

The Bill of Rights: Its History and its Significance

Nowhere in your link do I see "mentored" or anything that could be construed as such. All I see is Jefferson expressing a need for a Bill of Rights.
Mentoring, or even regular input would have been impossible. Given the distance between the men, letters would take a month to pass back and forth.

Yeah, they've opined in completely contradictory ways which I have proven and which you refuse to address. Jake, your entitled to your opinion, but saying it is settled law per the Supreme Court is completely false.

The inclusion of religious symbols in public holiday displays came before the Supreme Court in Lynch v. Donnelly (1984), and again in Allegheny County v. Greater Pittsburgh ACLU (1989). In the former case, the Court upheld the public display of a crèche, ruling that any benefit to religion was "indirect, remote, and incidental." In Allegheny County, however, the Court struck down a crèche display, which occupied a prominent position in the county courthouse and bore the words Gloria in Excelsis Deo, the words sung by the angels at the Nativity (Luke 2:14 in the Latin Vulgate translation). At the same time, the Allegheny County Court upheld the display of a nearby menorah, which appeared along with a Christmas tree and a sign saluting liberty, reasoning that "the combined display of the tree, the sign, and the menorah ... simply recognizes that both Christmas and Hanukkah are part of the same winter-holiday season, which has attained a secular status in our society."

In 2001, Roy Moore, then Chief Justice of Alabama, installed a monument to the Ten Commandments in the state judicial building. In 2003, he was ordered in the case of Glassroth v. Moore by a federal judge to remove the monument, but he refused to comply, ultimately leading to his removal from office. The Supreme Court refused to hear the case, allowing the lower court's decision to stand.

On March 2, 2005, the Supreme Court heard arguments for two cases involving religious displays, Van Orden v. Perry and McCreary County v. ACLU of Kentucky. These were the first cases directly dealing with display of the Ten Commandments the Court had heard since Stone v. Graham (1980). These cases were decided on June 27, 2005. In Van Orden, the Court upheld, by a 5-4 vote, the legality of a Ten Commandments display at the Texas state capitol due to the monument's "secular purpose." In McCreary County, however, the Court ruled 5-4 that displays of the Ten Commandments in several Kentucky county courthouses were illegal because they were not clearly integrated with a secular display, and thus were considered to have a religious purpose.

But . . . SCOTUS does not accept your opinion. And watch how SCOTUS' changes on this over time, which will not be a social con position.

No confusion.

James Madison wrote the Bill of Rights, but he was mentored by Thomas Jefferson who advocated a Bill of Rights. James Madison was at first reluctant to write a Bill of Rights. He would have never written it without the influence of Thomas Jefferson.

So we've gone from Jefferson who wrote the first amendment, to now being reduced to a mentor. Yet Jefferson himself is quoted as being an advocate for the freedom of religion, and against the federal government interference into the religious freedom of others. It seems you don't know your history of Jefferson too well.

So we've gone from Jefferson who wrote the first amendment, to now being reduced to a mentor. Yet Jefferson himself is quoted as being an advocate for the freedom of religion, and against the federal government interference into the religious freedom of others. It seems you don't know your history of Jefferson too well.

I think the relative point here that we are dancing around but not addressing is that the actual term and justification for it in this thread has been centered on a letter from Jefferson. I think that it is VERY relevant that he had no real part in the particular amendments writing. A point that the other side of the argument has yet to address.

Forum List

Back