If teachers were given the option to conceal carry, schools would be a lot safer.

If our public schools were in another nation, they would likely be a lot safer. Every other advanced nation on earth has solved the gun problem without arming 62 y/o teachers or janitors.

Somehow we can't "lower ourselves" to adopting what they do.

I wasn't even responding to you.
I'm responding in general. I like your posts..........but we disagree here.

No one is forcing you to arm yourself. It is a SUGGESTION.........I know our society is going to shit and you are dealing with it too. The family is broken in this country and parents are too busy from trying to survive to spend enough time with their children. I used to work all day and then hours helping my daughter with math afterwards..........it comes with the territory of having kids.

I'm responding in general. I like your posts..........but we disagree here.

No one is forcing you to arm yourself. It is a SUGGESTION.........I know our society is going to shit and you are dealing with it too. The family is broken in this country and parents are too busy from trying to survive to spend enough time with their children. I used to work all day and then hours helping my daughter with math afterwards..........it comes with the territory of having kids.

We do not even disagree. We agree that teachers who want to arm can arm.

I am pointing out that people are doing to teachers what they always do: if you REALLY cared, you would arm yourself/tutor your kids on the weekend/buy more supplies with your own money/whatever.

It is out of concern for the fact that very, very few people are going into AND STAYING in this profession that I tell people: I am not Jesus Christ, just a follower of Him. I do not have endless wells of compassion, healing, patience, goodness, kindness and love. I am merely a human. In order to give my best I need things regular humans need, like resources. For starters.

And I don't belong to the union--I loathe the teacher unions. But the expectation society has placed on us for the respect we get back has gotten so bad that no one is going into it. Count this another crisis. Many people just don't realize it yet.

Many many many people on this site have absolutely denigrated teachers many many many times. That is not an exaggeration.
Teachers are the 'blunt instrument' of the educational system. It is said, "don't kill the messenger". However, teachers have bought into the message, so they are open for criticism.

It used to be that your parents raised you and you went to school to get an education. Sadly--tragically--too many children now are raised by schools. It's awful to think about, but true. And while there are people in my profession who should have NEVER gone into teaching, most truly want to teach and help.

And frankly, society has taken advantage of that as the family has disintegrated. We do more and more and more. We are expected to feed, teach and socialize children. See to their development as people. Attend to "mental health", etc. It's not that we don't *want* to do it. It's that--who can? Who can raise 25 different children every school year and then pass them on? Etc.
If teachers are surrogate moms perhaps we should return to the one-room schoolhouse model, where grades K through 8 are taught by the same teacher. Those teachers helped shape the character of kids more than today's teachers do. That would give the kids continuity and security. She should also know how to handle a gun.

Teachers are the 'blunt instrument' of the educational system. It is said, "don't kill the messenger". However, teachers have bought into the message, so they are open for criticism.

Let me tell you what happens as a result of constant criticism. One: the public has a big ask and the teachers say, "You know what? Nah"

Two: teachers quit and retire early

Three: Fewer and fewer young people go into teaching

Congrats. All three above are in play.

It is wholly possible to "really care about the kids" and yet think of a million reasons why you don't want a gun in your classroom. Even if you are a 2nd amendment proponent. Age of students, number of students you have in your classroom, demographics of students you teach, etc. There is no one way to "really care about the kids". Having a gun in your room--believe this--is not a litmus test for "really caring about the kids".

Honestly, just typing that last sentence is crazy. This is the clown world we live in.
I never said unarmed teachers don't care for kids; I said there are teachers who really care about kids who would be eager to be trained to defend them with firearms. These volunteers would be mostly male teachers. The coaches and the ex-military. I would have done it back when I taught math in high school. Absolutely.

Given that teachers will be defending fixed locations like classrooms, instead of a pistol in a holster I think they will be better served with a rifle in a gun safe.

The rifle will be more effective, and the safe will keep it more secure.
The gun should always be loaded and at the ready when kids are present. I agree that a 'shoulder fired' weapon is best.

I never said unarmed teachers don't care for kids; I said there are teachers who really care about kids who would be eager to be trained to defend them with firearms. These volunteers would be mostly male teachers. The coaches and the ex-military. I would have done it back when I taught math in high school. Absolutely.

Fair enough.

Speaking broadly--but it still fits. You would almost certainly find more male secondary math teachers willing to be armed at school than female Kindergarten teachers. Kindergarten teachers should not be looked down on for this. Not saying you did, just a general statement.

Let me tell you what happens as a result of constant criticism. One: the public has a big ask and the teachers say, "You know what? Nah"

Don't teachers have a say in the curriculum?

This is absolutely true. Arming teachers would work, and that's why the left doesn't want any part of it. They aren't looking for a solution; they want the issue.
In every high school, there are plenty of men, we all know the type, who really care about the kids and would be willing to be trained to protect these kids. I'm thinking coaches, ex-military, etc. Every school has them.
But typically, the leftwing media interviews some wimpy activist woman teacher who says "We are teachers, not security guards. We are here to teach". The media acts like arming teachers would be mandatory, and that's a lie.
I just googled the proportion of male vs female teachers. It seems that only 25 percent of teachers are male, and declining. This certainly diminishes the 'father figure', which is sorely needed in some schools.

When I went through K through sixth grade all my teachers were women. Seventh grade through twelfth almost all male teachers. Several were WW2 combat veterans. Almost no discipline problems.

Last edited:

QUIT IF YOU WANT TO QUIT SO BADLY. STOP BITCHING AND QUIT.

If our public schools were in another nation, they would likely be a lot safer. Every other advanced nation on earth has solved the gun problem without arming 62 y/o teachers or janitors.

America is still the "wild west", not quite civilized. We still are unable to teach our kids how to care for their teeth.

Last edited:
Teachers are "en loco parentis" which means they have the responsibility for our children's safety when the children are at school.
If teachers are not willing to shoot in order to defend our children, then stop asking for tax money and we will teach them at home.
If we continue to have these school shootings, lots of parents are going to be home schooling their children.
Teachers are going to be in very short supply. They are not supposed to teach the kids AND be police officers too. The job doesn't pay enough to do both things. People will go into another career, and leave teaching.
Why don't we just stop the NRA from buying our politicians? Why don't we change our gun laws? Why don't we make AR-15s illegal? That would be easier than making teachers carry guns.

Why is there 'constant criticism' of teachers?

If we continue to have these school shootings, lots of parents are going to be home schooling their children.
Teachers are going to be in very short supply. They are not supposed to teach the kids AND be police officers too. The job doesn't pay enough to do both things. People will go into another career, and leave teaching.
Why don't we just stop the NRA from buying our politicians? Why don't we change our gun laws? Why don't we make AR-15s illegal? That would be easier than making teachers carry guns.
Arming teachers would have an immediate protective effect, which seems to be needed until long-term protections are put in place.

1) The NRA and their paid employees (our politicians) prevent common sense gun laws from being enacted in the USA.
2) Every other advanced nation loves their children more than they love guns.

Why don't we change our gun laws? Why don't we make AR-15s illegal? That would be easier than making teachers carry guns.
These nuts would just use another weapon, and you're back where you started...blaming the weapon.

If you want to reduce gun violence, lock up the drug addicts.

Forum List

Back