Zone1 If I had not been raised Catholic... it would have been a disaster

nomadic5

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2022
I think about this sometimes:

If I had not been raised Catholic, and yet everything else was the same, I would not be a good person.

I would NOT be a conservative... OK, I'm talking about if I wasn't raised in any Christian religions... Sorry about the mistake.

But even if I had been raised, say, Baptist, I probably would not have stayed with that religion and again, I would likely be a bad person, maybe even a..

OMG OMG

liberal!?

No, I'm too smart for that!

But then again... hard to say, really...

I'm just glad I had the honor of ... not growing up anti-Catholic..

I wouldn't know what I know

If I had not been raised Catholic, and yet everything else was the same, I would not be a good person.

I would NOT be a conservative... OK, I'm talking about if I wasn't raised in any Christian religions... Sorry about the mistake.

But even if I had been raised, say, Baptist, I probably would not have stayed with that religion and again, I would likely be a bad person, maybe even a..

OMG OMG

liberal!?

So you think if you had been born to a Jewish family, you would have been a bad person?

OMG OMG

liberal!?

i was raised catholic and got out of that cult as soon as i knew what a crock of shit they were...

OMG OMG

liberal!?

So you think you are so intellectually compromised that you couldn't choose to be a good person without the threat of damnation and the promise of eternal happiness.

That's sad

So you think you are so intellectually compromised that you couldn't choose to be a good person without the threat of damnation and the promise of eternal happiness.

That's sad
It's more like without the belief that we were made to be good there's no good reason to not maximize pleasure even if it at the expense of others.

OMG OMG

liberal!?

What are you talking about? You are anti-Catholic.

It's more like without the belief that we were made to be good there's no good reason to not maximize pleasure even if it at the expense of others.
You can choose to be a good person no matter what.

Well maybe you can't unless you're living under threat of eternal punishment.

So you think if you had been born to a Jewish family, you would have been a bad person?

probably.

Only people who believe or KNOW (as I do) that there is a Hell have any incentive to avoid sin and the Hell that comes from it...

That said, I do believe Jews believe in Hell

That's sad
Here's something that is really, objectively sad:

People who distort what others say just to make themselves look... what? Well, you could fill in the blanks: smarter than everyone else? Too smart for religion? Ha ha... you are falling right into the devil's trap.

I'm not ha ha-ing about THAT, just the fact that the devil really knows wht he's doing, doesnt he?

probably.

Only people who believe or KNOW (as I do) that there is a Hell have any incentive to avoid sin and the Hell that comes from it...

That said, I do believe Jews believe in Hell
No, we don’t.

And I’m sorry to learn that the only reason you see in being a good person is to avoid Hell, if there even is such a thing. It’s such a selfish reason. What about being a good person because that is what Gd wants of us, and that it’s just the right way to be?

No, we don’t.

And I’m sorry to learn that the only reason you see in being a good person is to avoid Hell, if there even is such a thing. It’s such a selfish reason. What about being a good person because that is what Gd wants of us, and that it’s just the right way to be?
Oh please.

People are only good for so long when there is no Hell to scare them. And why should we not be afraid of Hell? You act like that is stupid or selfish or whatever. Well, Jesus said "If your foot causes you to stumble (sin), cut it off and cast it from you."

That's how hideous sin and Hell are.. and believe it or not, some of us KNOW this... (that is, don't just "believe" it)

Oh please.

People are only good for so long when there is no Hell to scare them. And why should we not be afraid of Hell? You act like that is stupid or selfish or whatever. Well, Jesus said "If your foot causes you to stumble (sin), cut it off and cast it from you."

That's how hideous sin and Hell are.. and believe it or not, some of us KNOW this... (that is, don't just "believe" it)
Oh please. That is not why people are good - or try to be. I know plenty of religious people who do not believe in hell and are very good people. Why? Because that’s the decent thing to be!

You can choose to be a good person no matter what.

That's not my point. Why is being a good person important? Is it our base nature to be good? Or is it peer pressure? Why would you even look down on a "bad" person? Seems like it's important to you to be a good person. Why?

Or maybe it's because we don't have a choice in the matter because it is so ingrained in us that we can't abandon it. Clearly, you can't shake it. It seems you have no choice in the matter. That's God.

jesus would throw all the wealth in the vatican out for the poor
Unless, of course, you are thinking of the event where a woman bathed his feet with very expensive oil. He was greatly criticized for allowing this. His response: The poor you always have with you... Keep in mind the Catholic Church has spent a great deal more helping the poor over the years than it has in the Vatican.

Forum List

Back