I would like a clean debate on why didnt Obama just expand medicaid?

Rush has put forth an interesting theory...
First step get government to screw up health care...
Then government is "forced" to go in and fix it.
Then they have what they wanted in the first place....

Government run single payer.

If you're asking why Obama didn't expand medicare to cover everyone, the answer is because the Insurance companies, whose lobbyists have a lot of power in Washington, wouldn't let him.

Do you not remember all the discussion about a "public option"?

If you're asking why Obama didn't expand medicare to cover everyone, the answer is because the Insurance companies, who's lobbyists have a lot of power in Washington, wouldn't let him.

That too.

:razz:

(sorta the same thing,though)

Does anyone know why?
Because I dont.
Medicaid | HealthCare.gov
Medicaid A state and federal partnership, Medicaid provides coverage for people with lower incomes, older people, people with disabilities, and some families and children.

think he did

17 and a 1/2 million more people are on it today

then what hhs predicted in 2010

How many children, adults, disabled? How does the growth rate compare to the growth rate of population?

I can find numbers to estimated 2009. Got numbers thru 2012?

Can use Cps civ pop for estimated population, that'll work.

Hoe does it compare change in unemployment change?

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0151.xls

Last edited:
The only numbers I have are from July of 2011. There were 57,106,941 with 42,384,539 in Managed Care enrolled for Medicaid. There are approximately 8 million children on CHP.

The only numbers I have are from July of 2011. There were 57,106,941 with 42,384,539 in Managed Care enrolled for Medicaid. There are approximately 8 million children on CHP.

Yeah, that doesn't say much. We really need numbers for consecutive years to get growth rate. Then it needs to be compared to population growth cuz it is obviously going to go up with population.

I find categories for ; Age 65 and over; Blind/Disabled; Children;Adults; FosterCare; Unknown; and BCCA Women. The adult category would be the only significant one, unless someone just doesn't care about children, the elderly, and the disabled. Unknown actually went down in what I found.

Of course, Medicaid is a state run program. I saw some article that mentioned the Ky Gov expanding Medicaid.

What would be more interesting would be to compare it to unemployment, not in labor force and changes in income levels. We would expect it to rise and fall on those.

Ooh, here is something

HHS finalizes rule guaranteeing 100 percent funding for new Medicaid beneficiaries

HHS finalizes rule guaranteeing 100 percent funding for new Medicaid beneficiaries

Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius today announced a final rule with a request for comments that provides, effective January 1, 2014, the federal government will pay 100 percent of the cost of certain newly eligible adult Medicaid beneficiaries.* These payments will be in effect through 2016, phasing down to a permanent 90 percent matching rate by 2020.* The Affordable Care Act authorizes states to expand Medicaid to adult Americans under age 65 with income of up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level (approximately $15,000 for a single adult in 2012) and provides unprecedented federal funding for these states.

Now that would be expanding. About f'in time. Unless you just don't like people much. That should really help in rural areas that seem toh have higher unemployment and lower incomes.

OR -- instead of expanding just MEdicaid -- offer an early opt-in to Medicare with controlled premiums?

The game was much like Rozman put it. Along with the kick-back to the insurance companies of FORCING enrollment on the younger folks who elect not to cover.

It's a misguided attempt to REASON with the major insurers and that's not gonna work.

Rush has put forth an interesting theory...
First step get government to screw up health care...
Then government is "forced" to go in and fix it.
Then they have what they wanted in the first place....

Government run single payer.

Rush is an idiot. How did government screw up health care?

Sadly as good as our constitution is, it has failed horribly at keeping us a free people. What it has done is made the growth of Government power grabs slower. As things get worse Republicans will work with democrats to pass laws granting the federal Government more powers. The point is Obama didn't need to expand the program, soon enough politicians will vote themselves the power to control whatever they want involving HC, they simply need to make people dependent on failing programs and policies to do so... welfare kills us but it builds kings.

Last edited:
If you're asking why Obama didn't expand medicare to cover everyone, the answer is because the Insurance companies, who's lobbyists have a lot of power in Washington, wouldn't let him.

That too.

:razz:

(sorta the same thing,though)

That’s pretty much it: not politically feasible.

The irony is no one likes the ACA.

Its ‘supporters’ do so only because they understand it’s a first step to an eventual single payer system. They see it as a ‘foot in the door,’ as it were.

It wouldn't have created more red tape
it wouldn't have need it's own vast organization to run it
It gets the IRS attack dogs to enforce it
medicaid sucks and everyone knows it, not everyone knows aca will suck yet. people with pre-conditions, that were slow to sign up knew back in Mar when aca ran out of money for new people.

I don’t think that was ever the plan. There was a very quick discussion about single payer but the establishment dropped that like a hot potato. ACA did not have support either but Obama wrangled it through over months. That was never even tried with single payer.

This fantasy that this is a ‘step’ to single payer is just that – fantasy.

Does anyone know why?
Because I dont.

What exactly is the question? From your own link:

Expansion in 2014. Starting in 2014, the Affordable Care Act will expand the Medicaid program to cover people under age 65, including people with disabilities, with income of about $15,000 for a single individual (higher incomes for couples and families with children).

He did expand Medicaid. You mean why didn't he do it more?

Does anyone know why?
Because I dont.
Medicaid | HealthCare.gov
Medicaid A state and federal partnership, Medicaid provides coverage for people with lower incomes, older people, people with disabilities, and some families and children.

I think it was too inflammatory. So, he greatly exaggerated the numbers of people needing coverage and cooked up an expensive 'program' that would cost far more than its benefit to the working poor.

Having worked in health care for 25 years, I can tell you that national health care was definitely needed, but this is a mess and a farce. A small premium could have been charged to those who with jobs and that would have take far less bureaucracy to administer than the current fiasco. I've seen the business side of health care and what got pushed through is just abominable. Every conservative in Congress needs to be called to task for their participation in such a mess.

Does anyone know why?
Because I dont.

What exactly is the question? From your own link:

Expansion in 2014. Starting in 2014, the Affordable Care Act will expand the Medicaid program to cover people under age 65, including people with disabilities, with income of about $15,000 for a single individual (higher incomes for couples and families with children).

He did expand Medicaid. You mean why didn't he do it more?

Yea why didnt he just expand it more and not have to come up with obama care?

Forum List

Back