I remember pearl harbor !

Wildman

Gold Member
Mar 19, 2013
this Side of Heaven
5 y.o. all i really remember was there was a lull in the air, people around me seemed to be in fear, some angry and talking about the "Japs", the next day i heard FDR's "A Day That Will Live In Infamy my dad couldn't go because at first he was "too old", then in 1944 he got drafted because the Gov. raised the draft limit to 38, he was 37 that was when the Docs discovered his toes had been frozen and he couldn't run, he got his toes frozen when riding his horse to school. then come V-E Day, later in that year two big bombs fell on Japan blowing them to submission.

Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to start one but I'll just add to yours. I don't remember Pearl Harbor but about 10 years ago I was visiting my brother and one of his friends stopped by. My brother said come out here. We walked around his friends car and I looked at the license plate and it read "Pearl Harbor Survivor." One of the highlights of my life was sitting for the next hour listening in fascination to a man who witnessed history.

Hitlers scientist were working on the a-bomb and were about 6 months away from finishing it before the end of the war in Europe, if the U.S did not go to war when she did Hitler would have finished the bomb and loaded them into his V-1 rockets and then it would have been a whole different ball game in Europe, then the east coast of the U.S could have been attacked by atomic torpedoes from u-boats, as bad as it sounds the attack on Pearl was a blessing, it pulled the U.S into the war just in time. 

many of these survivors on both sides have met at pearl harbor over the years. they chose to shake hands and forgive. other went to their grave still full a hate

U.S., Japanese veterans meet in peace at Pearl Harbor

story

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AUtzfUrCbg]MUST SEE! Japanese Minister of Defense Lays a Wreath on USS Arizona! - YouTube[/ame]

pearl-harbor.jpg

My friend's dad was in the navy and there at Pearl Harbor.

He said he never had another day in his life as he did that day.

we pulled in there 2 or 3 times for R&R on the way home. and anchored right in front of the memorial. including one time when they had fake battleships all over the harbor. they were filming tora tora tora

Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to start one but I'll just add to yours. I don't remember Pearl Harbor but about 10 years ago I was visiting my brother and one of his friends stopped by. My brother said come out here. We walked around his friends car and I looked at the license plate and it read "Pearl Harbor Survivor." One of the highlights of my life was sitting for the next hour listening in fascination to a man who witnessed history.

that had to be a great experience. :up:

i visited the USS Arizona, every time my carrier tied up at Ford Island, i would stand in the center of the memorial and watch those oil bubbles rise to the surface, they made me think they were tears shed from the men still down there. :(

the first time i saw it was in June 1962, just a couple weeks after it's dedication. then 5 more times after that.

We were on our way home from the White City roller rink in Chicago. Some newsboys were hawking papers along Garfield Boulevard, extra, extra and we pulled over to hear the news: Pearl Harbor bombed. None of us knew where or what that meant, but it ended up as a day that would soon change all of our lives for as long as we lived.

My recently deceased uncle, 99, fought in that battle. Ford Island. Got stuck because he was late for his ship. They were firing Browning Automatic Rifles at the filthy Japs.

we pulled in there 2 or 3 times for R&R on the way home. and anchored right in front of the memorial. including one time when they had fake battleships all over the harbor. they were filming tora tora tora

very interesting, i saw the Tora, Tora, Tora movie premiere at a huge theater in Kowloon, when the Japs were scoring there were some cheers, but when we started kicking ass there were about 150+ U.S. Navy, Marines and British soldiers cheering.

We were on our way home from the White City roller rink in Chicago. Some newsboys were hawking papers along Garfield Boulevard, extra, extra and we pulled over to hear the news: Pearl Harbor bombed. None of us knew where or what that meant, but it ended up as a day that would soon change all of our lives for as long as we lived.

i'll bet you have some more interesting stories you could tell ??

i visited the USS Arizona, every time my carrier tied up at Ford Island, i would stand in the center of the memorial and watch those oil bubbles rise to the surface, they made me think they were tears shed from the men still down there. :(

the first time i saw it was in June 1962, just a couple weeks after it's dedication. then 5 more times after that.

survivors believe she bleeds for her dead crew. about 2.3 quarts a day

very interesting, i saw the Tora, Tora, Tora movie premiere at a huge theater in Kowloon, when the Japs were scoring there were some cheers...

:confused:

I was lucky enough to visit the Arizona memorial when I was 8yrs old back in the 80's, with my parents and grandparents. My grandmother and grandfather served in the Army Air Corps. They met and were married at a base in Tennessee, both joining after Pearl Harbor happened. My grandfather "flew the hump" flying supplies to China during the war.

Although I was young I remember vividly the trip to the memorial. As others in the thread mentioned the oil slick from the Arizona was visible.

Along with my family on the boat trip to the monument was a small group of older Japanese men. They bowed their head to my grandfather and he acknowledged them. At the memorial everyone was silent. It was an amazing and humbling experience even at a young age, and a memory of my grandfather I will never forget.

RIP all the heroes that died there that day.

Forum List

Back