I had a general contractor try to confront me a couple days ago.

OK, I was just wondering. Thanks. :)
The last commercial job I did was a Pier 1 in Lee's Summit MO

They required 1 million in liability. Absurd about of coverage just to put in their new floors.

To top it off the electricians drove those fucking lift Jack's on my UNGROUTED floor and broke 1000 corners. The contract had a no charge back clause and I fucking ate all that labor to rip it out and redo it.

I had my first "big" mistake this past week. I say big but it really wasn't that big a deal.

I cut the main power line leading to ¼ of the house. The damn line was INSIDE the shower cavity and when I cut out the walls I cut that shit.
I immediately patched it with a safe fix and called a licensed electrician to reroute it all outside the water cavity. Cost me a few days but gave me piece of mind and my customers are mostly referrals or repeats so they don't care.

First mistake I've had like that in years.
We all make them I had a messed up week had to tear apart three die cast machines and put them back together, fricking kids you get one running and try to work on another one and they keep calling you back for simple fixes .

Not to mention the long delivery times of parts.

But one thing I love about you, do one hell of good quality work.

Working on a friends bathroom this sunday, not looking forward to it, ripping out the tub and putting in a shower for a side job, old Milwaukee house. I don't have the patience like you do.

They required 1 million in liability. Absurd about of coverage just to put in their new floors.

To top it off the electricians drove those fucking lift Jack's on my UNGROUTED floor and broke 1000 corners. The contract had a no charge back clause and I fucking ate all that labor to rip it out and redo it.
Sorry about that accidently did that one time doing electrical work in a commercial building , drove the man lift right into a new wall. Lol

He was trying to sub out a basement conversion and asked me about my plumbing credentials. Wanted to know what I could and couldn't do.
I told him I could do it all and he asked me about my particular city licenses.
I responded with fuck that nonsense and it took him by surprise. He said how do you do plumbing if you aren't licensed? I said.....ummm, I just do it.
Every customer who asks knows I don't follow local rules and I've never had one that cared. In 20+ years I've never had a call back on plumbing issues.
I used to pay EVERY MUNICIPALITY IN THE METRO their fee to "be a professional plumber" in their area. Then I finally got fed up with giving the local governments HUNDREDS of dollars for no fucking reason.
I pay them each a fee to say, "yeah this guy is legit" and for what??? They don't actually come look at my work to see if I know what I'm doing!
It's like paying the mob for protection from TGE MOB.

At nearly 55 years old and 30 years in the business I can officially say FUCK YOUR PERMIT AND LICENSE BULLSHIT.

It's nothing more than a scam to fleece both me and the consumer. You get me on you fake credentials fees and you get the consumer on new taxes for upgrades in their homes.

A license is dreamed up BS to make the government rich, it also allows them to dicated their rules and laws.

On hands training is the number 1 best training in my book, college is useless and it only indoctrinates little communist Loons.

Much like all the extra fees, for a business to install a bathroom or a drive-thru window. Here in Florida, the fee for those is insane.

I no longer need to be bonded because I'm not doing commercial work.
As to insurance I don't list specifics on the application. I list it as bathroom and kitchen tile.
It has caught me once when I had a lady with no insurance cross the line on the highway and hit me dead on. She had no insurance and progressive dumped me after seeing company logos on my truck despite it not being listed as commercial.
That's what those magnetic signs are for.

Why would the floors get done before the overhead work was completed there. It's not like the Electricians can fly to install the electrical in the overhead there.

Because arbitrary deadlines....

You unfamiliar with commercial work?
More industrial. Some commercial. Still makes no sense to do the floors is the overhead is not complete. Hell the HVAC could have ended up doing the same thing.

We are doing a office trailer job right now. 46 trailers All getting a 200 amp feed. 12.5 k inlet.....They did the rock before the duct banks were even started.........We are almost done but it is the size of a football field.........And is NOW A MUD PIT.

We had to dig up the world to get the conduit for power and fiber. Why did they do that? A deadline?

Sure.....that makes sense if you like wasting money.

You never worked in construction? With the many trades?
Been doing electrical since 1984.

My point stands..........Why would you do finish work if the overhead is not done.........That is the same as what I see going on right now on my present job.

They wasted a TON OF MONEY putting in a football field worth of rock. Without having over 10000 foot of conduit put in first. That is STUPIDITY.

Been doing electrical since 1984.

My point stands..........Why would you do finish work if the overhead is not done.........That is the same as what I see going on right now on my present job.

They wasted a TON OF MONEY putting in a football field worth of rock. Without having over 10000 foot of conduit put in first. That is STUPIDITY.
Yeah...
GCs have never been brilliant to begin with and they have been getting worse in the past few years in commercial jobs.

More and more jobs are having the floors done before even half of the overhead is complete.

I seen one job where the floors went in just after the walls got framed. Not even rocked yet.
Trim Carpenters did the most damage to the carpeting with the sawdust. Of course the halls were so tight and ceilings so high that the tall scissor lifts dented every wall and tore up door frames everywhere.

It became a joke about how not to build a building.

He was trying to sub out a basement conversion and asked me about my plumbing credentials. Wanted to know what I could and couldn't do.
I told him I could do it all and he asked me about my particular city licenses.
I responded with fuck that nonsense and it took him by surprise. He said how do you do plumbing if you aren't licensed? I said.....ummm, I just do it.
Every customer who asks knows I don't follow local rules and I've never had one that cared. In 20+ years I've never had a call back on plumbing issues.
I used to pay EVERY MUNICIPALITY IN THE METRO their fee to "be a professional plumber" in their area. Then I finally got fed up with giving the local governments HUNDREDS of dollars for no fucking reason.
I pay them each a fee to say, "yeah this guy is legit" and for what??? They don't actually come look at my work to see if I know what I'm doing!
It's like paying the mob for protection from TGE MOB.

At nearly 55 years old and 30 years in the business I can officially say FUCK YOUR PERMIT AND LICENSE BULLSHIT.

It's nothing more than a scam to fleece both me and the consumer. You get me on you fake credentials fees and you get the consumer on new taxes for upgrades in their homes.

So, what happens if something does go south? The customer has no one to blame but themselves for allowing shoddy work to be done.

I always hire licensed contractors, and will happily report those who are not...

Forum List

Back