I had a general contractor try to confront me a couple days ago.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
He was trying to sub out a basement conversion and asked me about my plumbing credentials. Wanted to know what I could and couldn't do.
I told him I could do it all and he asked me about my particular city licenses.
I responded with fuck that nonsense and it took him by surprise. He said how do you do plumbing if you aren't licensed? I said.....ummm, I just do it.
Every customer who asks knows I don't follow local rules and I've never had one that cared. In 20+ years I've never had a call back on plumbing issues.
I used to pay EVERY MUNICIPALITY IN THE METRO their fee to "be a professional plumber" in their area. Then I finally got fed up with giving the local governments HUNDREDS of dollars for no fucking reason.
I pay them each a fee to say, "yeah this guy is legit" and for what??? They don't actually come look at my work to see if I know what I'm doing!
It's like paying the mob for protection from TGE MOB.

At nearly 55 years old and 30 years in the business I can officially say FUCK YOUR PERMIT AND LICENSE BULLSHIT.

It's nothing more than a scam to fleece both me and the consumer. You get me on you fake credentials fees and you get the consumer on new taxes for upgrades in their homes.

• Banned
I never had an electrician license in Missouri yet wired a lot of places and did a lot of repairs.
I do draw the line on a lot of electrical. When I do heated floors or in shower led lighting I make them call a legit electrician.

Heated floors costs thousands and need dedicated lines from the main panel.
Led in shower accent lighting in the walls is CLEARLY dangerous if not done right.

All I can say is, Same here. I have done jobs in all phases of residential construction. I made a living being called by general contractors to come and fix all the failed inspections by '' Certified subcontractors'' Also all the Warranty Work after the move-in.

He was trying to sub out a basement conversion and asked me about my plumbing credentials. Wanted to know what I could and couldn't do.
I responded with fuck that nonsense and it took him by surprise. He said how do you do plumbing if you aren't licensed? I said.....ummm, I just do it.
Every customer who asks knows I don't follow local rules and I've never had one that cared. In 20+ years I've never had a call back on plumbing issues.
I used to pay EVERY MUNICIPALITY IN THE METRO their fee to "be a professional plumber" in their area. Then I finally got fed up with giving the local governments HUNDREDS of dollars for no fucking reason.
I pay them each a fee to say, "yeah this guy is legit" and for what??? They don't actually come look at my work to see if I know what I'm doing!

At nearly 55 years old and 30 years in the business I can officially say FUCK YOUR PERMIT AND LICENSE BULLSHIT.

It's nothing more than a scam to fleece both me and the consumer. You get me on you fake credentials fees and you get the consumer on new taxes for upgrades in their homes.
Some one could sue your ass off and win

OP, if you are not a licensed plumber how do you get bonded and insured as such?

Asking for clarity, not being a smart ass.
I worked off the general contractor's license. The state legislature changed the rules to stop people like me from doing that.

• Banned
OP, if you are not a licensed plumber how do you get bonded and insured as such?

Asking for clarity, not being a smart ass.
I no longer need to be bonded because I'm not doing commercial work.
As to insurance I don't list specifics on the application. I list it as bathroom and kitchen tile.
It has caught me once when I had a lady with no insurance cross the line on the highway and hit me dead on. She had no insurance and progressive dumped me after seeing company logos on my truck despite it not being listed as commercial.

Awesome! Fucking the commies

I know, I have seen your work over the years
I had my first "big" mistake this past week. I say big but it really wasn't that big a deal.

I cut the main power line leading to ¼ of the house. The damn line was INSIDE the shower cavity and when I cut out the walls I cut that shit.
I immediately patched it with a safe fix and called a licensed electrician to reroute it all outside the water cavity. Cost me a few days but gave me piece of mind and my customers are mostly referrals or repeats so they don't care.

First mistake I've had like that in years.

LOL, gotta decade on you Gramps (hope you don't mind) , and have come full circle on a LOT of what goes down
I do draw the line on a lot of electrical. When I do heated floors or in shower led lighting I make them call a legit electrician.
I'm legit

many credentials

but then 'legit' is objective/ subjective

~S~

Last mistake I had like that was probably 15 or more years ago. Nailing off a new wood floor in a kitchen and put a nail through a freon line that was directly under the osb (code violation)
Didn't realize it until hot weather hit and the customer found it. He tried to blame me but I schooled him. I did pay half his repair because that's just how I am. Word of mouth is everything

I no longer need to be bonded because I'm not doing commercial work.
As to insurance I don't list specifics on the application. I list it as bathroom and kitchen tile.
It has caught me once when I had a lady with no insurance cross the line on the highway and hit me dead on. She had no insurance and progressive dumped me after seeing company logos on my truck despite it not being listed as commercial.
OK, I was just wondering. Thanks. :)

LOL, gotta decade on you Gramps (hope you don't mind) , and have come full circle on a LOT of what goes down

I'm legit

many credentials

~S~
In Missouri, you only have to have a license in the cities.

I'm legit

many credentials

~S~
Bro that shitcwas crazy here in the metro. From 12 bucks to hundreds of dollars fir fees in DOZENS of areas just to serve "the metro"

Forum List

Back