How to care for your teeth.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
I will never forget the surprised look on my first-grade teacher's face when, responding to her question, I told her I brushed my teeth after eating. She then told me that she brushed before she ate. Because the school had instructed us kids to brush after each meal I was surprised, and of course thought that she was...strange.

We had a girl's gym teacher that made a public display of flossing her teeth. Because few had ever heard of flossing we thought she was weird.

In those days it was common for kids to have terrible dental health, even displaying untreated cavities in their front teeth. Some of these problems were caused by nutritional deficiencies as well as poor dental hygiene.

She was correct. Teeth should be brushed and flossed before eating, especially if sugary foods are consumed. Sugar + plaque = decay. Sugary foods won't harm teeth if bacterial plaque is absent.

As plaque is continually forming on teeth and gums one should floss at least once per day, preferably in the morning, and brush before every meal. An anti-bacterial oral rinse after brushing is also beneficial. After eating a good rinse is also recommended especially if one has teeth that 'trap' food particles.

Good oral/dental health is crucial to overall health and is arguably the most important personal care task each of us can do daily.

My old roomie lost a front tooth via hockey, so he got this fake one that sort of 'plugged in' ........we used to go to seedy bars......pretend to get in an argument, where i'd slap him, and he'd spit it out on the bar, look at me and yell 'SEE WHAT YOU DID!'

yes......we were young...and a**holes.....

~S~

I just soak mine in a glass.

Yeah...
I got the implants where you just snap them in.
The top has pins you push in from the sides the bottoms snap in place on two pins.
I can eat anything I want including beef jerky without issue.
I fell of a roof when I was 17 and shattered my rear teeth,bridges worked for awhile but they eventually failed.
I just said fuck it and had them yank out the rest. Best decision ever.

I just soak mine in a glass.
All the adults in my family did as well. My parents expected us kids to lose our teeth as well so they basically ignored our dental health. This was common back then. I have a mouthfull of crowns and bridges; cost me a fortune.

All the adults in my family did as well. My parents expected us kids to lose our teeth as well so they basically ignored our dental health. This was common back then.

My parents gave me the option of getting braces or not.
Which of course is stupid,no kid wants braces,the parents should make them get them.
Of course after falling off that roof it wouldnt have made a difference.

Which of course is stupid,no kid wants braces,the parents should make them get them.
Both my kids needed braces. My daughter had a gap between her front teeth wide enough to throw a cat through. It closed up nicely and she now has a beautiful smile. My son's teeth were crooked from crowding. Braces helped for a while but after they were removed his teeth returned to being crowded, so he's stuck with them. Also cost me a fortune as I didn't have dental insurance.

I will never forget the surprised look on my first-grade teacher's face when, responding to her question, I told her I brushed my teeth after eating. She then told me that she brushed before she ate. Because the school had instructed us kids to brush after each meal I was surprised, and of course thought that she was...strange.

We had a girl's gym teacher that made a public display of flossing her teeth. Because few had ever heard of flossing we thought she was weird.

In those days it was common for kids to have terrible dental health, even displaying untreated cavities in their front teeth. Some of these problems were caused by nutritional deficiencies as well as poor dental hygiene.

She was correct. Teeth should be brushed and flossed before eating, especially if sugary foods are consumed. Sugar + plaque = decay. Sugary foods won't harm teeth if bacterial plaque is absent.

As plaque is continually forming on teeth and gums one should floss at least once per day, preferably in the morning, and brush before every meal. An anti-bacterial oral rinse after brushing is also beneficial. After eating a good rinse is also recommended especially if one has teeth that 'trap' food particles.

Good oral/dental health is crucial to overall health and is arguably the most important personal care task each of us can do daily.
With proper dental hygiene and care, you will rarely have time to go to the dentist. So you have to pay attention to how to keep your teeth clean.

With proper dental hygiene and care, you will rarely have time to go to the dentist. So you have to pay attention to how to keep your teeth clean.
Healthy teeth are crucial for overall health as well. Food must be thoroughly chewed, actually liquified, for proper digestion, nutrient absorption, elimination, and for immune system health.

True, proper digestion of food and absorption of nutrients are essential for maintaining overall health of the body. But if your teeth are not healthy, it becomes difficult to chew food and then digest it.

^^^^^

I found Here we go again 4th grade school picture

1461af340225792c973ef22414c74f98.jpeg

Healthy teeth are crucial for overall health as well. Food must be thoroughly chewed, actually liquified, for proper digestion, nutrient absorption, elimination, and for immune system health.
Dr Thomas Levy wrote the great book Toxic Tooth. He recommends brushing once a day and using a water pic with a table spoon or more of hydrogen peroxide daily. I’ve followed his advice for years now. Haven’t had a need to get my teeth cleaned at the dentist, for about five years. No plaque build up.

True, proper digestion of food and absorption of nutrients are essential for maintaining overall health of the body. But if your teeth are not healthy, it becomes difficult to chew food and then digest it.
Sadly, even those with good teeth don't chew their food properly. That's why coroners are usually able to identify food in the stomachs of autopsy cases.

Dr Thomas Levy wrote the great book Toxic Tooth. He recommends brushing once a day and using a water pic with a table spoon or more of hydrogen peroxide daily. I’ve followed his advice for years now. Haven’t had a need to get my teeth cleaned at the dentist, for about five years. No plaque build up.
I neglected my oral health for years which resulted in periodontal disease, which required painful surgery to address. I have a cleaning and exam three times a year to make sure it doesn't progress. I floss, brush, and use a saltwater rinse in the morning, and brush and rinse in the evening. My hygienist praises my oral health each time I visit.

I neglected my oral health for years which resulted in periodontal disease, which required painful surgery to address. I have a cleaning and exam three times a year to make sure it doesn't progress. I floss, brush, and use a saltwater rinse in the morning, and brush and rinse in the evening. My hygienist praises my oral health each time I visit.
You likely don’t need those expensive cleanings. Plus do you know the enormous amount of bacteria released to your body with every cleaning? To say nothing of the toxic effects of fluoride and the harmful effects of x-rays.

You likely don’t need those expensive cleanings. Plus do you know the enormous amount of bacteria released to your body with every cleaning? To say nothing of the toxic effects of fluoride and the harmful effects of x-rays.
I need several deep 'pockets' in my gums examined regularly. Also, part of me wants to support the dental clinic I have gone to for many years.

I need several deep 'pockets' in my gums examined regularly. Also, part of me wants to support the dental clinic I have gone to for many years.
Makes sense. I too have had many issues with my teeth and haven’t had good experiences with dentists. This forced me to do a lot of my own research.

You might research the beneficial effects of using hydrogen peroxide versus salt water. I’ve used both. Salt water gargling has helped me with sensitive teeth. HP will kill bacteria while whitening your teeth.

I haven't had a cavity in 30 years or any other tooth problem.

Literally bush my teeth after every meal. If I am going to eat a late breakfast will brush first thing in the morning and then again after eating breakfast. Floss every day and get my teeth cleaned every six months.

Forum List

Back