Employers demanding workers return to office

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
I honesly don't blame these companies, you have to think someone is more productive at the office than they are working at home, but many people can be just as productive at home, just not all. Employers don't want to try and figure it all out.

When Rowan Rosenthal heard about Grindr's return-to-office mandate during a virtual town hall meeting in August, anxiety, confusion and anger set in. The principal product designer lived within a 25-minute bike ride from the company's Brooklyn office but instead was required to report to one in Los Angeles, where Rosenthal's department was assigned. This doesn't make sense and there's no way this will happen, Rosenthal thought.

But it did happen. And two weeks later, Rosenthal realized that despite loving the work, the only option that made sense was to quit. That was also the case for about 45 percent of Grindr's 178 employees, workers say.

"Honestly I felt betrayed," said Rosenthal, who worked at Grindr for nearly three years. "I've poured my whole heart into advocating for the product and its users, and this is how it ends?"

As more companies enforce their office mandates, some workers are choosing to quit instead of complying and returning to the office. Even companies at the forefront of remote work during the pandemic such as Facebook parent Meta, Google, Amazon and Zoom are getting stricter about office returns. They say workers are more productive, collaborative and engaged in-person. Indeed, the percentage of remote workers in America's workforce is declining - from 17.9 percent in 2021 to 15.2 percent in 2022, according to the latest census data.

Workers say their reasons for quitting include everything from family to commuting expenses to being required to relocate. And many workers worry that people like those with disabilities or who are primary caregivers may be left behind due to their inability to successfully work from the office.

"It's infuriating to see this happening . . . especially with the narrative that workers are lazy," Rosenthal said about the mandates. "It's such an easy dig when so many companies with remote work have seen record profitability."

In a letter to employees, Grindr said it assigned each department one of five hubs and that workers should return to their department's designated office. The company told The Washington Post that despite the mass exodus, it plans to forge ahead with its policy of two office days per week beginning in October. It is offering relocation assistance to workers who have to move.

"We are looking forward to returning to the office in a hybrid model . . . and further improving productivity and collaboration," the company, which has been remote since the pandemic, said in a statement.

Tesla CEO and Twitter owner Elon Musk was among the first of the tech leaders to implement strict office return policies starting in 2022, but since then, others have followed. In June, Google updated its rules to include tracking employee badges and using office attendance as part of performance reviews. Last month, Amazon CEO Andy Jassy said it likely wouldn't work out for employees if they didn't follow the required three-day office policy. Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg similarly threatened termination for employees who didn't come into the office three days a week. And Zoom, the darling of the pandemic that enabled millions of people to work remotely, is asking workers who live near an office to return two days a week.

Workers are pushing back, penning letters to executives, staging walkouts and quitting despite the tight labor market.

"I'm not surprised at all," Prithwiraj Choudhury, a Harvard Business School professor who studies the future of work, said about workers quitting. "By mandating these rigid policies, you're risking your top performers and diversity. It just doesn't make economic sense."

Choudhury said companies should provide overall guidance that allows each to determine how they best work after analysis and feedback from workers. That's especially important for women, whom Choudhury said are resigning in large numbers - a notion multiple surveys support.

Kisha Velazquez is one of those women. The former director of content marketing for recruiting software company Joonko said that child-care costs were simply too high. Plus, she wanted to be more present in her son's life.

Before the pandemic, Velazquez commuted 45 minutes from New Jersey to the New York City office. Meanwhile, her husband did contract work from home and tended to their son. But during the pandemic, roles reversed after her husband landed a full-time job. But Velazquez didn't think she'd be able to properly follow the office policy with school pickups, drop-offs and other activities, which is why Velazquez ultimately quit.

"It was an awkward position to be in because I was supposed to enforce a policy I didn't believe in," she said. "For me, the simple answer is give people a choice. Not everyone has the same situation."

Choice would've made a big difference for Pamela Hayter, a former project manager at Amazon. After Amazon announced its return to office mandate, Hayter started an internal Slack channel to discuss people's concerns. The channel, which also included the CEO, grew to 33,000 workers in a few months and led to them starting a petition and ultimately walking out over the new policy.

Hayter ultimately left the company in August and said at the time close to a hundred others had indicated that they also planned to quit. She says she felt forced out.

But Hayter's concerns over the policy were personal. The mother of two had gotten divorced during the pandemic and could no longer afford the $600 in monthly tolls plus gas and parking to work from the office.

"I was devastated," she said about ending her eight-year career at the tech giant. "I assumed Amazon would be my forever company."

Amazon said it allows workers to make an exception request and considers them on a case-by-case basis. It also said certain roles will have exceptions to the rules, but that will be a small minority.

(Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post. Interim CEO Patty Stonesifer sits on Amazon's board.)

For some workers who moved or were hired remotely during the pandemic, commuting is a nearly impossible task, they say.

Christopher Lee, a San Diego resident, took the role of senior manager of strategic marketing at UCLA Health when work was remote in 2020. But then he said workers were abruptly asked to return to the office five days a week at the end of 2021. For six months, he stayed with his parents in Orange County and commuted to Los Angeles while apartment hunting near the office. But the three-hour minimum of total commute time wore him down and the higher cost of living he'd have to pay near the office led him to quit.

"It was liberating but also a little scary," he said."At least I now know the next step."

Another former Grindr employee, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation, said he also quit instead of relocating as he was hired remotely. He worries about future development of the dating app after 80 percent of engineers and large portions of other technical teams resigned during the first phase of the policy. Phase two is expected to affect more of the company's business roles, he said.

He and his colleagues believe that the company's move was the result of workers' decision to unionize.

Some workers say they simply can do a better job working from home.

Elizabeth Bassett, a Houston resident and former global head of creative marketing for commodity markets intelligence firm Argus Media, said she went into the Houston office two to three days a week for two months before resigning in May 2022. Her department had been restructured multiple times, leaving her with only one report in the office and the rest in Singapore and London, which presented major scheduling challenges. Much of her day was on Zoom and her time in the office was very rarely spent engaging productively in-person. It was also hard to do focus work in the office, she said.

"All of it felt very pointless," she said, adding that it felt somewhat performative. "The people I cared most about and worked most with weren't there."

As for Rosenthal, the Grindr exit allowed for new opportunity: a fully remote job at another social app.

"It's like leaving an actual relationship," Rosenthal said. "It feels bad, you feel hurt. Then you give yourself time to grieve, you find someone else and you get excited again."

Depends on the individual. I've been working from home for over ten years and I've always been very productive. I have a desk at my company's office too, but it's about 30 minutes away and I may go in once or twice a month for about half the day, usually when I have stuff to print or have several meetings.

Not everybody can be disciplined enough, however, to not be distracted by stuff at the house.

To me it is a question of are you more productive working in a cubicle or working from home.
There has to be a better way to measure productivity than spying on their cubicle.

If a worker is given an assignment and completes it in a timely and professional manner……what difference does it make?

I never had a job where I could work from home, and am actually happy about that. I tend to get distracted easily, but totally get how people can do their work online, from their homes, so much more conventiently than the drive to work, which likely for many people is the biggest issue. Time wasted in traffic.

I never had a job where I could work from home, and am actually happy about that. I tend to get distracted easily, but totally get how people can do their work online, from their homes, so much more conventiently than the drive to work, which likely for many people is the biggest issue. Time wasted in traffic.
In addition, you can spread the work day over the entire day and in the times you’re most productive.

If you get a brainstorm at 10 o’clock at night, you can act on it.

To me it is a question of are you more productive working in a cubicle or working from home.
There has to be a better way to measure productivity than spying on their cubicle.

If a worker is given an assignment and completes it in a timely and professional manner……what difference does it make?

Control, I'd guess. Many bosses feel they have to justify their position by doing things. Things that might be pointless.

I build other people's homes, so work at home isn't an option.
Worked right through the Covid bullshit as I was essential.
I feel no sympathy for these people.

but totally get how people can do their work online, from their homes, so much more conventiently than the drive to work, which likely for many people is the biggest issue. Time wasted in traffic.

To a worker, commuting to work is not very productive.

To get to work by 8 AM you have to get up by 6AM, shower, shave, grab breakfast and be out of the house by 7AM, fight traffic for 45 minutes and be in the office by 7:45

Working from home, you can roll out of bed at 7:45 and dial in to an 8AM phone conference in your underwear

The employer does not care how long it takes to get to work, but employees are increasingly aware of the lost time.

Just my two cents.

I think it was 2018. When the CEO of my healthcare system was getting a new Gulfstream, we were told to cut back on air travel. So they sat up a “bull pen” with these five or six cubicles in this one small smelly room to where I and other middle management folks could go and do a teleconference with the clinic managers in St. George, Provo, Vegas, Lake Havasu, Farmington, etc...

I hated it. There were multiple reasons for my hating it. The #1 reason was the postmortem. When someone expires in a hospital, there is an investigation done internally. As my mentor put it, ‘cuz you gonna get sued”. So me, or someone like me, has to interview everyone who came in contact with the decedent on that last shift. Sometimes during the last shift. Yeah...try doing that over a teleconference with a nurse who still has the patient’s blood on her scrubs. I did like three of them and they were the most brutal experiences I’ve ever gone through on the job. So if someone passes away in Phoenix, Tucson or Flagstaff at one of our hospitals...I drive there to interview everyone in person. Outside of that #1 reason, I hated it for other reasons. Lets be honest...I miss the gossip you get when its just you and Sue in the office vs a corporate recorded teleconference.

Thankfully they put me back on the road officially in 2021 or so.

Commuting is the worst part of working. Back in my working days, it would take me a good half hour to 45 minutes to chill out and get into the work spirit.

To a worker, commuting to work is not very productive.

To get to work by 8 AM you have to get up by 6AM, shower, shave, grab breakfast and be out of the house by 7AM, fight traffic for 45 minutes and be in the office by 7:45

Working from home, you can roll out of bed at 7:45 and dial in to an 8AM phone conference in your underwear

The employer does not care how long it takes to get to work, but employees are increasingly aware of the lost time.

Meh... One of the most common complaints I hear from most people when talking about large organizations is that your get treated like "just a number". For the life of me, I can't understand why workers want to be treated that way by their employer. Because that is exactly what you are inviting them to do.

I think this is one of those things to where American workers should be careful about demanding. When your boss doesn't see you working, their orientation is going to be that you could be working harder (and they are probably right in that case; we all could work harder at our jobs). They are also going to think..."If Sue was here, she'd be working harder". So when it comes time for the inevitable lay offs, down sizings, right sizings, re-organizations, mergers, etc... is it easier to go to bat for someone you know or someone you don't?

By the same analysys though, the five day work week is a dinosaur. I have to be here because I'm the recognized "authority" at the hospital overnights. If there is a decision to be made, I am the one who makes it. Thankfully there are very few times when you have to go off the script around here and that is by design from the Risk Management folks. One of the best work schedules I ever had was a 44/36 work schedule. You'd work 12 hours on Mon, Tue, Fri and Sat. Then on the next week, you'd work Sun, Wed and Thurs. What it "felt" like was you'd have a 2 day work week on the short weeks. It was sweet. Built in OT. You could get six days off in a row by taking 2 vacation days. We need to get away from the 8-5 M/F model really. But working from home for a big company is not going to be as great as some people think it is.

american workers are already hard hard workers. People should not work harder at their jobs. That would be bad on all sides.

The company IS paying you a salary for your time. Is it too much to ask that you perform work tasks in the place that the company chooses for that work to be accomplished? If not, maybe you need to start your own company or work for someone who doesn't require your presence at the work site.

Depends on the individual. I've been working from home for over ten years and I've always been very productive. I have a desk at my company's office too, but it's about 30 minutes away and I may go in once or twice a month for about half the day, usually when I have stuff to print or have several meetings.

Not everybody can be disciplined enough, however, to not be distracted by stuff at the house.
Right, you are never distracted by, say, posts about Trump....

It's the cost of office space. With workers at home, a company needs less office space to operate. Many companies, however, either own or have long-term leases on massive amounts of office space, and they don't like to see it sit idle. Companies that are growing are more likely, IMO, to utilize workers at home because they don't need to acquire more space at more cost. There is no need, for example, to have IT in the office. None whatsoever.

I had a telephone discussion about this issue with a good friend just this afternoon.

He is an Engineer with a large power company. He is a manager with a staff and does engineering project work.

He has been working from home since the Pandemic.

Just last week he was told that he needs to return to his office. His office is almost an hour away and not an easy drive with traffic. He has to go across one of the bridges on Tampa Bay and on any given day it could be congested.

He says he is running his operation just as efficiently from home as he did from the office before the Pandemic.

The reason he has been notified that he can no longer work remote is because his company is cracking down because of those that abused the privilege of working from home. Too many people have taken advantage and the lack of productivity is hitting the bottom line.

Typical that a few assholes have screwed things up for everyone.

I had a telephone discussion about this issue with a good friend just this afternoon.

He is an Engineer with a large power company. He is a manager with a staff and does engineering project work.

He has been working from home since the Pandemic.

Just last week he was told that he needs to return to his office. His office is almost an hour away and not an easy drive with traffic. He has to go across one of the bridges on Tampa Bay and on any given day it could be congested.

He says he is running his operation just as efficiently from home as he did from the office before the Pandemic.

The reason he has been notified that he can no longer work remote is because his company is cracking down because of those that abused the privilege of working from home. Too many people have taken advantage and the lack of productivity is hitting the bottom line.
If I were your good friend I'd tell the uppers I'm working from home or working for someone else. He should be telling the uppers how it's going to be.
Typical that a few assholes have screwed things up for everyone.

Forum List

Back