How to break a tire bead and then reset it...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...at home without special tools...

(Assuming you have an air compressor...but I doubt you'd try anything tire related without one)

The back tire on the pickup had a slow leak so I pulled it off and sprayed it with soapy water to find the leak...and...unfortunately it was leaking from the inside bead.

The bead needs broken and the inside of the rim requires cleaning and then reset the bead.

No sweat.

I don't have a bead breaker...but I do have a landscape timber and another vehicle...the wife's buick.

You can use a 4x4 ... And I have many times...but the landscape timber has rounded edges.

Put the edge of the timber as close to the edge of rim as possible. Then drive a tire up the timber.

I usually do this with the pickup and forego the stop-block...but the wife's buick doesn't have the clearance and has a lot of plastic/fiberglass back there...so caution is the order of the day.

Ran up on this one once and it rolled down but didn't quite release...pulled off and gave the rim a quarter turn...reset the timber and voila...ready for clean up...

20201008_151025.jpg

(Assuming you have an air compressor...but I doubt you'd try anything tire related without one)

The back tire on the pickup had a slow leak so I pulled it off and sprayed it with soapy water to find the leak...and...unfortunately it was leaking from the inside bead.

The bead needs broken and the inside of the rim requires cleaning and then reset the bead.

No sweat.

I don't have a bead breaker...but I do have a landscape timber and another vehicle...the wife's buick.

You can use a 4x4 ... And I have many times...but the landscape timber has rounded edges.

Put the edge of the timber as close to the edge of rim as possible. Then drive a tire up the timber.

I usually do this with the pickup and forego the stop-block...but the wife's buick doesn't have the clearance and has a lot of plastic/fiberglass back there...so caution is the order of the day.

Ran up on this one once and it rolled down but didn't quite release...pulled off and gave the rim a quarter turn...reset the timber and voila...ready for clean up...

View attachment 398785
drive the car directly onto the other tire close to the bead and see if that works,,, might have to do it a few times while rotating the tire,,,

No sweat.

View attachment 398785

"How to break a tire bead and then reset it..."

OK........That's how you "break the bead" ....... unless I am missing something, I don't see any advice on how to "reset it" and that can sometimes be trickier than breaking it. I know how to do it from watching my Dad, but others may not have a clue. I fear you are leaving a lot of people out there with flat tires they can't inflate.

No sweat.

View attachment 398785

OK........That's how you "break the bead" ....... unless I am missing something, I don't see any advice on how to "reset it" and that can sometimes be trickier than breaking it. I know how to do it from watching my Dad, but others may not have a clue. I fear you are leaving a lot of people out there with flat tires they can't inflate.
Patience Daniel-san...I still workin'. I was out of bead sealer. ;)

No sweat.

View attachment 398785

Patience...I still workin' man. I was out of bead sealer. :eusa-wink:
grease works just as good as bead sealer,,,

No sweat.

View attachment 398785
drive the car directly onto the other tire close to the bead and see if that works,,, might have to do it a few times while rotating the tire,,,

I'll try that.

No sweat.

View attachment 398785

No sweat.

View attachment 398785

Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh .....I'm not so sure about that. A little to much torque from the engine combined with a little too much grip from the tire and I could see the wheel just spinning inside the tire. I'm gonna stick with bead sealer or nothing. grease is for lubricating.

No sweat.

View attachment 398785

Yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh .....I'm not so sure about that. A little to much torque from the engine combined with a little too much grip from the tire and I could see the wheel just spinning inside the tire. I'm gonna stick with bead sealer or nothing. grease is for lubricating.
well I've been doing it for over the last 35 yrs and never had a problem,,, in fact a few places I worked never bought bead sealer cause it was a waste of money,,,

the inflated tire pushes most of it out and very little remains,,,

We used to have contests to see how high we could make wheels jump by using starting fluid aka ether to set tire beads. It's an offroader trick for when you're out in the boondocks and need to get a tire reseated. Lay the tire and wheel flat on the ground then spray starting fluid all around the inside of the tire. Stand back and set it off to get the tire reseated. It sets off with a boom. Be sure to get some air in the tire before it can cool off too much.

I set the bead ON with oxy acetlylene. Dont do this at home
I've used rachet straps to get tire beads seated too. Wrap a rachet strap all around the center of the tread and tighten it up, this helps force the tire bead out against the wheel rim. Add air to set the bead.
I was an avid rock crawler for several years. You learn all kinds of stuff to get you off the trail because AAA ain't comin. It's either get it fixed yourself or start walking.

No sweat.

View attachment 398785

I usually just use dish soap...but this tire has been on the truck for at least five year and suddenly developed a slow leak at the bead...so I used vulcanize cement bead sealer after some wire brushing, sand paper and cleaning.

No sweat.

View attachment 398785

I usually just use dish soap...but this tire has been on the truck for at least five year and suddenly developed a slow leak at the bead...so I used vulcanize cement bead sealer after some wire brushing, sand paper and cleaning.
that should work just fine,,, as long as the rim doesnt have large areas of rusted metal that created divits in the rim

and yes I am a professional,,,

I was at a sprint car race at Devils Bowl in Mesquite, Tx., years ago- w were visiting with one of the teams there (not gonna say which one so as not embarrass), but, one of the crew guys started inflating a new tire with a clip on
air valve- he got to shooting the bull with someone outside the trailer and forgot about it- a 120psi compressor will over inflate a 102 in diameter tire- which isn't much more than a big balloon anyway

1602193060034.png

Tore out the side of the trailer and damaged the trailer tire o_O- luckily no one got hurt- everyone was outside the trailer

Yep..
Any flammable gas will work.
As an off roader we always run low tire pressure for better grip and you occasionally break a bead. Ideally you should run beadlocks but not everyone wants the expense.
Spray a little brake cleaner in it and toss a match.
On occasion you'll get unlucky and the match will get caught between the the rim and the tire but it's rare.

Last edited:
I've used rachet straps to get tire beads seated too. Wrap a rachet strap all around the center of the tread and tighten it up, this helps force the tire bead out against the wheel rim. Add air to set the bead.
That's exactly how I do it...

Lube it up, wrap a ratcheting strap down the middle, tighten it up some and put the air to it.

Then lift and squeeze from the bottom side until it catches. Pop pop.

20201008_162652.jpg20201008_162816.jpg20201008_162912.jpg20201008_163116.jpg

Yep..
Any flammable gas will work.
As an off roader we always run low tire pressure for better grip and you occasionally break a bead. Ideally you should run beadlocks but not everyone wants the expense.
Spay a little brake cleaner in it and toss a match.
On occasion you'll get unlucky and the match will get caught between the the rim and the tire but it's rare.
Ether works best.

Forum List

Back