Regrooving a tire.

One tire of 18 in the winter is no issue.

They are built to be regrooved.

If this was summer, I'd worry a little about heat causing a blowout...but that isn't going to happen in the cold months.

Those two tires cost about the same as having a transmission replaced in a standard passenger car...$600 plus each.

those big rigs got a lot of duplicate tires. I would think you don’t do the two front tires on the Truck do you?

those big rigs got a lot of duplicate tires. I would think you don’t do the two front tires on the Truck do you?
No. Big no-no to regroove or even repair a nail puncture in a steer tire.

Most owners only run steer tread down to 40%, then move them back as a set to a drive position if they are tractor-only owners, but most tractor-trailer owners mover them to the trailer for the remainder of their service life.

It's called siping if I remember correctly.
I've never done it to my tires but I've heard of people who do.
The only treads I've recut were on a pair of Crocs. When they get slick they're slippery as all get out.
I used a table saw and it worked great,it doubled the life of the shoe.
That's a really good idea.

I think I'm going to try that.

I worked in a recap shop in the early 70s. Cold Caps--Bandag. I have to admit, I have never heard of regroovable. Here in the NW, they "sipe" tires to provide better snow and ice traction, but that is the closest thing I've ever seen to what you are doing. Siping is a much finer cut though. The wear you show with the tread still acceptable in the center is due to underinflation or possibly alignment and rotation. Very interesting, thanks for the post.
We have a Bandag in southeastern Missouri...and some of my buddies swear by them.

Recap rubber is harder than virgin, so on spread axle trailers they last significantly longer.

I had that bad experience...but for all I know, some road debris deflated that tire causing a heat related blowout that had nothing to do with it being a recap.

We have a Bandag in southeastern Missouri...and some of my buddies swear by them.

Recap rubber is harder than virgin, so on spread axle trailers they last significantly longer.

I had that bad experience...but for all I know, some road debris deflated that tire causing a heat related blowout that had nothing to do with it being a recap.
Cold caps can be mfr. incorrectly. They basically are just gluing a 3/4" thick slab of hard rubber tread around the casing and curing it in a pressure chamber under what is considered low heat.

I won't run them. Tried them once ... Did $5,800 worth of damage to a trailer from the blowout.

The tread separated from 80% from the casing in a long strip ... but the end of that strip stubbornly remained attached long enough for an excellent physics demonstration of the destructive power of angular momentum. 😳

It was covered by insurance...but I was down a trailer for over a month.

When I was a teen, my mom tried some on her Chevy. We were on the highway to Branson and had never heard of retreads coming undone. So when it went, it sounded like Thor was hammering the car to pieces and scared the piddle out of us. I think that was one of the first times James came and rescued us, and he never did stop.

I would hazard a guess that 90% of the gators you see on the road are peeled hot caps. I lost three of them in one night going up I-5 the night they opened the stretch north of the grapevine in 1972. No cops and over 100 mph in the summer creates a lot of heat over a long distance, LOL. I had two spares, but when the third one went, I was stuck with my thumb. I haven't ever seen a cold cap fail but I've heard of a few.

Forum List

Back