How much of your success was because of Government? ....

Well, the gov did keep me from an early grave. 25 yrs ago I did a drug trial at the VA that probably saved my life.

So, there's that.

My mother (who just celebrated her 85th) told me once that without the medical attention made possible by Medicare she would have died years ago. She certainly could not have afforded the care on her own and there is no private insurer in the nation that wants anything to do with folks over 65.

Thanks, People!

My grandmother died because she was not eligible for Medicare. My grandfather left her with very little when he died and my grandmother put off seeking medical care until she was eligible for Medicare. When she finally went to a doctor, she found out she had colon cancer and died shortly after

Makes you wonder how people survived in the early 1900's on up with all the water poisonings and having to pay for their own college.

Most people lived up to their late forties, half your children didn't make it to adulthood.

That wasn't because of the lack of government, dolt. We didn't have antibiotics, insulin, open heart surgery or thousands of other medical advances. Doctors didn't even know there was a disease called diabetes. People got it and then just died mysteriously.

College was an option for only the richest Americans

Most of the jobs that require a college diploma now only required a high-school diploma then. All the vast increase in schooling has done is cheapen the value of a college diploma.

Most of what changed can be attributed to the Government

Only the vast increase in the supply of dolts can be attributed to government. Most improvement in the human condition is the result of private industry.

Most medical research is funded by the government. People did not live long because they had limited access to quality medical care, poor sanitation, dangerous jobs, no way to get to a hospital if they were injured. All were taken care of by the government, not private companies

Most families could not even afford to let their children attend High School because they needed them to work. Remember those pesky child labor laws.? Going to a private college was not achievable. State run universities made higher education affordable to the masses, so did the Government provided GI Bill

Government pays for much of the groundbreaking R&D in medicine, communications, aircraft and energy. They also set standards for job safety, water and air quality, automotive safety and medical care that saves millions of lives

It looks like the President is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed Marxist Elizabeth Warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including Steve Jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did Government have to do with your success?

I'll be generous and say maybe 15% for me, what say you?

Probably lots. GI Bill helped pay for college, my degrees from public universities (CAL -undergrad) San Francisco St. U (Grad) allowed me to advance from line staff to senior management and retired at age 56.

Well, the gov did keep me from an early grave. 25 yrs ago I did a drug trial at the VA that probably saved my life.

So, there's that.

Drug trials are arranged by drug companies, not the government.

At the VA, which is the government.

A drug company produced the drug and paid all expenses for the trial. The location is immaterial. And what is snjmom doing at the VA?

As an Over the road truck driver I have to give the Federal government it's due. We are one of the very few industries the the government actually has Constitutional authority to legislate. They provide many of the roads I run on and prevent local governments from preventing me from doing my job. In that way they have helped me to be successful at what I do. But even if they did not do this, I would still get the job done.

Some things that the government does not do for me:
1. I do not get a minimum hourly wage. I make money only when rolling down the road.
2. The government does not class me as either skilled or unskilled labor and goes out of its way to avoid calling me a professional.
3. OSHA Applies to me only when at a shipper or reciever.
4. Does not require air conditioning when the temp is 105. Just heaters for when it is cold.
5. They do not require training for people with class d licenses. Ie. Light passanger cars and light pickup trucks. They tend to be under state law, and states tend to consider driving a right.

In short while the government has made my job easier in some ways., it did not make my job possible and we have been delivering the things you take forgranted since before the feds decided to regulate us and before most states were even states, let alone territories.

The tech may change but the job never has, and is not likely to no matter what harebrain reg the DOT cooks up for us to obey next.

Last edited:
It looks like the President is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed Marxist Elizabeth Warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including Steve Jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did Government have to do with your success?

Here you go ya RW palooka:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htX2usfqMEs]Elizabeth Warren on Debt Crisis, Fair Taxation - YouTube[/ame]

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Here you go ya RW palooka:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htX2usfqMEs]Elizabeth Warren on Debt Crisis, Fair Taxation - YouTube[/ame]

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Warren kicks conservative butt.....I think we will keep her

Most medical research is funded by the government.

That's actually 100% wrong. Most mecial research is funded by private companies. Take MRI and CAT scan machines. Does the government build these? Artificial hips and knees? Drugs? The list is endless. Since WW II, government has been trying to horn in on the business, but it still hasn't made that much of an inroad.

People did not live long because they had limited access to quality medical care,

ROFL! Yeah, right, like antibiotics, vaccines, anesthetics, new surgical procedures, life saving drugs too numerous to count. Private industry created "quality medical care."

poor sanitation

You're truly ignorant if you think private companies can't provide water and sewage services. My parent's house was supplied by a private water company.

dangerous jobs,

Government regulations did not eliminate dangerous jobs.

no way to get to a hospital if they were injured.

I don't recall where the government invented the motor car and hence the ambulance.

All were taken care of by the government, not private companies

Total 100% bullshit.

Most families could not even afford to let their children attend High School because they needed them to work. Remember those pesky child labor laws.? Going to a private college was not achievable. State run universities made higher education affordable to the masses, so did the Government provided GI Bill

All mass education has done is decrease the value of an education. Previously, people learned on the job. They were trained by their employer. Cost to the taxpayers? $0.00. In the past you could become an engineer without ever going to college. Now you have to have a college diploma to be a firemen. What have we gained?

Government pays for much of the groundbreaking R&D in medicine, communications, aircraft and energy. They also set standards for job safety, water and air quality, automotive safety and medical care that saves millions of lives

Really? What "ground breaking R&D has government paid for?

BRIPAT,

Can you not concede the necessity of government at all? You seem to think that any and all improvements to people's lives can never be made by government action. Well. there have been sterling examples of government projects and programs that have improved the quality of the lives of our citizens.

Even the most fervent of contemporary Conservatives can recognize the benefits of government projects and programs. Only Anarchists feel that any and all government is either inherently evil and tyrannical or hopelessly incompetent and corrupt.

Perhaps you are not a Conservative but an Anarchist.

You're joking RIGHT---:lol::lol::lol: How much of my success is attributed to Government--I would be a lot more successful--if government would just get the hell out of the way.

You need to move to Somalia where there won't be any gov't at all to get in your way, or anyone else's way, for that matter. Everybody there is pretty much free to do whatever the hell they want.

Don't forget to write. But don't be surprised if you can't find anywhere to mail the letter.

That's actually 100% wrong. Most mecial research is funded by private companies. Take MRI and CAT scan machines. Does the government build these? Artificial hips and knees? Drugs? The list is endless. Since WW II, government has been trying to horn in on the business, but it still hasn't made that much of an inroad.

People did not live long because they had limited access to quality medical care,

ROFL! Yeah, right, like antibiotics, vaccines, anesthetics, new surgical procedures, life saving drugs too numerous to count. Private industry created "quality medical care."

You're truly ignorant if you think private companies can't provide water and sewage services. My parent's house was supplied by a private water company.

I don't recall where the government invented the motor car and hence the ambulance.

Total 100% bullshit.

All mass education has done is decrease the value of an education. Previously, people learned on the job. They were trained by their employer. Cost to the taxpayers? $0.00. In the past you could become an engineer without ever going to college. Now you have to have a college diploma to be a firemen. What have we gained?

2.5 trillion in one year, 2006, was spent by State govts on R& D.

Much of medical research and development is done by our universities, on federal gvt grants.

Total 100% bullshit.

2.5 trillion in one year, 2006, was spent by State govts on R& D.

Much of medical research and development is done by our universities, on federal gvt grants.

Having worked over 30 years in R&D, I can tell you today's private sector is very frugal when it comes to funding R&D. R&D does nothing for today's bottom line and investors want return on investment.....NOW

It is the government funding grants in medical, energy, communications, agriculture and hundreds of other industries. Once advances in technology are made......then the private sector swoops in to reap the profit

I worked on GPS for the military in the late eighties. A lot of money spent on launching satellites, trial and error, testing and ensuring a reliable network. It was initially intended to be a military system only

Ultimately, access was turned over to the private sector and they made a fortune off of it

Forum List

Back