How much of your success was because of Government? ....

gvt, created our military, our police, our firemen, our roads and highways and train tracks....well, many of them, and our electric grid with huge subsidies, even building gas stations across our country was subsidized and our phone lines, our schools, our universities our libraries, the library of congress for goodness sake, our sewer systems, water resources !

you are completely viewing this through tunnel vision driveby, if you think our country's government contributed only 15% to your success....a tad self centered too, imho! :eek:

Total bullshit. Fire Departments were all volunteer in the beginning. Many still are volunteer operations, and many are private. The do the job a lot cheaper than those lazy overpaid oafs in the govenrment run fire departments. Railroads are almost entirely private. The government subsidized railroads all went bankrupt. The electric grid is privately built. What "subsidies" do you imagine it received? Gas stations were subsidized? Since when? Phone lines were privately built. Schools, universities and libraries were all privately funded long before government got into the act.

Government simply isn't needed for most of the things you imagine it's needed for. It just takes over services after private firms or volunteer operations have been providing them for decades and the muscles them out of the way.

Government is REQUIRED to do the unprofitable things in life like education. Government is REQUIRED to build common infrastructure, ass-u-me-ing everyone would rather drop a few bucks into a fund for roads with their taxes instead of stopping at the edge of every private land owners property to pay a fucking toll.

Government has a role.

The problem is not government. The problem is back stage private spending on political advertising, favoritism purchased with campaign money and outright corruption.

ya know what, go live somewhere else if you think your Nation is crap....leave, please......go see if the grass is really greener on the other side of the fence....i'll be here when you come crawling back.....

mogadishu, mogadishu

if you can make it there you can make it anywhere.

You think Mogadishu doesn't have government? It certainly does, the kind run by a bunch of savages like you.

Yeah, everyone knows that it's the savages who want to organize a government as a way to fund common defense, common infrastructure and education of the populace, regardless of ability to pay, and it's the civilized folks want to go it alone, gun in hand, into the future.

Last edited:
Well now lets see.

I grew up healthy thanks to Government's intervention in food and water and preventing companies from poisoning me (accidentally of course). I attended and graduated a public school (thanks taxpayers!) which allowed me to get into a University. I was able to pay that tuition through working and Pell Grants and guaranteed loans (thanks again taxpayers!). I then moved across the country (nice highways) and was able to start working in an industry I love.

Since then, it's been all me. But I think it's fair to say I would not be where I am today without our government.

Makes you wonder how people survived in the early 1900's on up with all the water poisonings and having to pay for their own college.

I don't wonder about it all. At the turn of the last century, over half of the population died in abject poverty if they saw 60 or more years of life. The water poisoned by industry was simply ignored in favor of the still pristine flow upstream. When the 'frontier' ends is when we rely on government to help us get along, share the resources given to ALL by God, and work toward something besides the next quarters profit statement.

gvt, created our military, our police, our firemen, our roads and highways and train tracks....well, many of them, and our electric grid with huge subsidies, even building gas stations across our country was subsidized and our phone lines, our schools, our universities our libraries, the library of congress for goodness sake, our sewer systems, water resources !

you are completely viewing this through tunnel vision driveby, if you think our country's government contributed only 15% to your success....a tad self centered too, imho! :eek:

Total bullshit. Fire Departments were all volunteer in the beginning. Many still are volunteer operations, and many are private. The do the job a lot cheaper than those lazy overpaid oafs in the govenrment run fire departments. Railroads are almost entirely private. The government subsidized railroads all went bankrupt. The electric grid is privately built. What "subsidies" do you imagine it received? Gas stations were subsidized? Since when? Phone lines were privately built. Schools, universities and libraries were all privately funded long before government got into the act.

Government simply isn't needed for most of the things you imagine it's needed for. It just takes over services after private firms or volunteer operations have been providing them for decades and the muscles them out of the way.

Volunteer Fire department are fine in rural areas where you may be called out once a month to fight a brush or barn fire. Local communities still pay for their equipment and training. Professional firefighters are better. Ask NYC what they they think of their professional firefighters. Fighting a fire in a city is much more difficult than in a rural community. High rise buildings, chemical fires, much greater risk of loss of life.

Railroads were never private entities. They were built by Railroad tycoons who were handsomely paid with government land grants. When someone got in the way, they called the government to clear them out. Government subsidized railroads went bankrupt because they went through areas that were unprofitable...namely red states

Electric grids were privately built on one condition......perpetual monopoly protected by the government

gas stations were not subsidized....Roads were

Schools and universities were privately funded before the government got involved. What we had were universities that were only an option for richest Americans. Working Americans were lucky if their kids finished grammar school. It was Government universities and the GI Bill that made higher education available to the masses

Makes you wonder how people survived in the early 1900's on up with all the water poisonings and having to pay for their own college.

Most people lived up to their late forties, half your children didn't make it to adulthood.

That wasn't because of the lack of government, dolt. We didn't have antibiotics, insulin, open heart surgery or thousands of other medical advances. Doctors didn't even know there was a disease called diabetes. People got it and then just died mysteriously.

College was an option for only the richest Americans

Most of the jobs that require a college diploma now only required a high-school diploma then. All the vast increase in schooling has done is cheapen the value of a college diploma.

Most of what changed can be attributed to the Government

Only the vast increase in the supply of dolts can be attributed to government. Most improvement in the human condition is the result of private industry.

Last edited:

Government is REQUIRED to do the unprofitable things in life like education. Government is REQUIRED to build common infrastructure, ass-u-me-ing everyone would rather drop a few bucks into a fund for roads with their taxes instead of stopping at the edge of every private land owners property to pay a fucking toll.

Government has a role.

The problem is not government. The problem is back stage private spending on political advertising, favoritism purchased with campaign money and outright corruption.

Where did you get the idea that education is unprofitable? Government is not required to build infrastructure. Almost the entire railroad system was privately built. As for toll roads, I've driven on plenty of them. I don't have a problem with them. Now they have electronic tolls, so you don't even have to slow down.

You think Mogadishu doesn't have government? It certainly does, the kind run by a bunch of savages like you.

Yeah, everyone knows that it's the savages who want to organize a government as a way to fund common defense, common infrastructure and education of the populace, regardless of ability to pay, and it's the civilized folks want to go it alone, gun in hand, into the future.

Savages organize a government to loot people who work hard and save their money. Building "infrastructure" and paying for "education" are just two ways to do the looting. Every savage in Africa with a bone through his nose is under the jurisdiction of one government or another.

I don't wonder about it all. At the turn of the last century, over half of the population died in abject poverty if they saw 60 or more years of life. The water poisoned by industry was simply ignored in favor of the still pristine flow upstream. When the 'frontier' ends is when we rely on government to help us get along, share the resources given to ALL by God, and work toward something besides the next quarters profit statement.

God makes BMWs and flat screen televisions?

Who knew?

Well, the gov did keep me from an early grave. 25 yrs ago I did a drug trial at the VA that probably saved my life.

So, there's that.

The welfare section is way more popular now, they have done nothing, but have gotten everything, ALL HAIL THE RECIPIENT, ALL HAIL THE RECIPIENT, ALL HAIL THE RECIPIENT. The recipient is who the democrat worships thee days, not the working man as they would like you to believe. The recipient is beginning to outweigh the tax payer, and to the left, this is music to their ears,Democrats are very charitable with other peoples money, the welfare system is proof.

How much of my success was because of the government?

Better question....could I have had success without a government?

I don't know. I don't live in Somalia.

The welfare section is way more popular now, they have done nothing, but have gotten everything, ALL HAIL THE RECIPIENT, ALL HAIL THE RECIPIENT, ALL HAIL THE RECIPIENT. The recipient is who the democrat worships thee days, not the working man as they would like you to believe. The recipient is beginning to outweigh the tax payer, and to the left, this is music to their ears,Democrats are very charitable with other peoples money, the welfare system is proof.

Horseshit.

The welfare system we have in place now is funneling money to the banks and the wealthy.

Do a little reading...

CHARTS: Here's What The Wall Street Protesters Are So Angry About...

Well, the gov did keep me from an early grave. 25 yrs ago I did a drug trial at the VA that probably saved my life.

So, there's that.

Drug trials are arranged by drug companies, not the government.

Lets see...

Government schools, government funded medical research, safe food, safe drugs, safe water, no toxic chemicals in the air, roads, bridges, infrastructure, water systems, sewerage systems, the internet, safe communities, free comerce

No...I don't think the government helped me at all. I did it all on my own

and yet, many during the same time had crappy government funded schools; none or little access to medical research because of their circumstances, otherwise there wouldn't be a healthcare crisis; many had crisis with air, roads, bridges, ect., otherwise there wouldn't be a crisis now to be dealt with; there was Love Canal and wasn't it typical of how government didn't protect the people? There is no argument that many today to do not have safe communities; as for free commerce, when did we ever?

Lets see...

Government schools, government funded medical research, safe food, safe drugs, safe water, no toxic chemicals in the air, roads, bridges, infrastructure, water systems, sewerage systems, the internet, safe communities, free comerce

No...I don't think the government helped me at all. I did it all on my own

and yet, many during the same time had crappy government funded schools; none or little access to medical research because of their circumstances, otherwise there wouldn't be a healthcare crisis; many had crisis with air, roads, bridges, ect., otherwise there wouldn't be a crisis now to be dealt with; there was Love Canal and wasn't it typical of how government didn't protect the people? There is no argument that many today to do not have safe communities; as for free commerce, when did we ever?

Your post makes no sense.

If you want to live without a government, move to Somalia.

So, there's that.

My mother (who just celebrated her 85th) told me once that without the medical attention made possible by Medicare she would have died years ago. She certainly could not have afforded the care on her own and there is no private insurer in the nation that wants anything to do with folks over 65.

Thanks, People!

America was built upon government subsidies. A transcontinental railroad? Sure it was built by Chinese and Irish immigrants. But it was only possible due to huge land grants to the competing railroads.

Electrifying the Depression Era South? Could never have happened without the TVA. Las Vegas would STILL be a sleepy little desert town without the government funded Hoover Dam.

It's funny how the contemporary Conservative isn't Conservative at all. They're Anarchists!

They hate the politics of their opposition so much, they're perfectly willing to throw the entire American system of economic activity out with the bathwater.

The trancsontinental railroad.
Thanks for citing the FAILED FUCKING AMTRAK system, asswipe.
Perfect example of miserable government failure.

You bring stupid to another level.

Government has a role.

Where did you get the idea that education is unprofitable? Government is not required to build infrastructure. Almost the entire railroad system was privately built. As for toll roads, I've driven on plenty of them. I don't have a problem with them. Now they have electronic tolls, so you don't even have to slow down.

Primary education of the people at large is not a for profit venture. It can't be. Profit can't be made unless those unable to pay for it are turned away.

I for one am thrilled that the rest of y'all saw fit to learn me some readin' writin' and cipherin' when I was an average middle-class kid in the 60's & 70's. It made going to university possible and gave me tools I still use to remain productive.

God makes BMWs and flat screen televisions?

Who knew?

Who owns the oil in the ground? Why them?

Who owns the iron in the rocks? Why them?

Who owns the water in the river? Why them?

BMW's and flat screen T.V.'s are products made from resources, not resources.

:eusa_doh: We have GOT to start spending a little more on education!!

Forum List

Back