How come people can support the Democratic Party in good conscious?

How come every single organization that either had some kind of racist dude or is responsible for some racist act in the past has to except responsibility for their crimes except for the modern Democratic Party. It just seems like that if we are going to purify our conscience of all sin then why not start with the major political party that supported slavery, the klan, opposed most civil rights legislation, and had an active member of the klan it. It just seems kind of politically motivated unless it is done to everyone and not just the political enemies of the Democratic Party.

No problem acknowledging the bad actions of the Democratic party from last century, and if any of the people that did that are still around, they won't get Democratic support. They have to go to republicans for that now.

It never ceases to amuse me, these armchair historians with three minutes' experience who somehow seem to believe political parties are some sort of static object that's fixed in place. The Democrats and Republicans of 150 years ago are pretty much the reverse of what they are now. "Smaller government" sentiment lived in the DP and the party of Big Gummint doing big things was the RP. The Liberal concept of Abolition manifest in the young Republican Party while the conservatives were Democrats, especially in the South.

'Round about the turn of the century they did a mutual about-face as the RP took on the interests of the rich and corporations and the DP absorbed the Populists. Once that split personality between the still-conservative South and the rest of the nation was abandoned in the LBJ days, the Republican "Southern Strategy" completed the sea change.

Some of our inexperienced wags don't seem to get that the purpose of a political party is to organize and consolidate power -- not to represent an ideology.

Hmmm ... is that Zinn's version?

:dunno: I don't know "Zinn's version". I do my own research.

You think I should write a book?

Why not? Any idiot can write a book.

How come every single organization that either had some kind of racist dude or is responsible for some racist act in the past has to except responsibility for their crimes except for the modern Democratic Party. It just seems like that if we are going to purify our conscience of all sin then why not start with the major political party that supported slavery, the klan, opposed most civil rights legislation, and had an active member of the klan it. It just seems kind of politically motivated unless it is done to everyone and not just the political enemies of the Democratic Party.

No problem acknowledging the bad actions of the Democratic party from last century, and if any of the people that did that are still around, they won't get Democratic support. They have to go to republicans for that now.

It never ceases to amuse me, these armchair historians with three minutes' experience who somehow seem to believe political parties are some sort of static object that's fixed in place. The Democrats and Republicans of 150 years ago are pretty much the reverse of what they are now. "Smaller government" sentiment lived in the DP and the party of Big Gummint doing big things was the RP. The Liberal concept of Abolition manifest in the young Republican Party while the conservatives were Democrats, especially in the South.

'Round about the turn of the century they did a mutual about-face as the RP took on the interests of the rich and corporations and the DP absorbed the Populists. Once that split personality between the still-conservative South and the rest of the nation was abandoned in the LBJ days, the Republican "Southern Strategy" completed the sea change.

Some of our inexperienced wags don't seem to get that the purpose of a political party is to organize and consolidate power -- not to represent an ideology.

Guess that's why I haven't written one. Not qualified.

Super, could you provide a current example of whatever it is you are talking about? I am assuming you are talking about the Democratic party pre-1964, which is the year southern Publicans assumed the characteristics of the Dem party they replaced but still try to blame the continuance of the evils you name on the party that shed the 'old ways'.

And bullwinkle provides the early morning laugh for today. Thanks!

The Democratic Party shed nothing. It has morphed over the last half century into a weird hybrid of Marxist and fascist philosophies that seek to extend their penchant for slavery from the slavery of black-to-white to the slavery of all to The State.
Hey, billy. You sure can stuff a lot of psycho-crap into a single sentence. Slavery to the State? Me? You're the guy that thinks Putin is a model of leadership.

We've been here before. Please post where I expressed any such sentiment.

I don't know what you mean by "Slavery to the State".

I mean slavery to the State. What is not clear?

Presumably you mean the fed and not one of the 50.

Bingo.

Seriously, can you clue me in to what slavery you are talking about.

Seriously, you're older than I am, and have lived through even more history. Did you sleepwalk through life? Study the 20th Century. Your answers are there.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live, 41." :laugh2:
I don't know how to split up a quoted post, so bear with me. There you go again, saying 'slave to the State', but not in what way.

Know what a slave is? I explained that I was using "STATE" in terms of an all-powerful federal government, something that was never meant to be. How can you not understand it?

So spell it out for an old codger...how do I advocate being a slave to the State?

By supporting political candidates and parties that support slavery to the State.

As for Putin, how often have you compared his sledge hammer scattergun style of leadership with Obama's style and mourned the difference?

That Putin is a vastly more effective leader on the world stage in terms of forwarding his nation's interests is not my fault. Facts are facts.

More like incapable. You first need something worthwhile to write about.

Actually what I would need is an audience that would read it instead of going :lalala:

I guess you should ask EVERY minority group in the United States- all of whom vote overwhelmingly Democrat.

By the way- as African Americans know- the Democrats passed the 1964 Civil Rights Bill- with the assistance of Republicans- and a Democratic President signed it into law.

They seem to remember that- while Republicans don't.

Actually what I would need is an audience that would read it instead of going :lalala:

You would be hard pressed. Democrats don't like to read.

How come people can support the Democratic Party in good conscious?
And I can honestly say the exact same thing about people who support the GOP.
The smart people, who live in the real world and aren't easily manipulated are the ones who want nothing to do with either the Democratic or the Republican parties.
Go ahead suckers, vote against your own interests and the interest of your own country.

Not a good one.

I don't normally do this but spelling really does matter. I usually believe if you get your point across that's all that matters.

However it's not just tucked into your post, it's in your title.

The word CONSCIENCE isn't spelled conscious. The word you spelled is used for a person being awake and not asleep or in a coma or put under drugs for a surgery. The word CONSCIENCE is an inner feeling that is a guide of one's behavior.

Seriously here, learn the english language and learn how to spell. You people don't use words correctly and it's getting very old.

I tried to read what you posted and am not surprised with your knowledge of facts is as bad as your spelling.

Yes the democratic party WAS conservative and WAS the party of discrimination.

That changed in the 60s with the civil rights movement.

Now all those democrats who are racists are conservative and republican.

Democrats of today aren't the racists nor would they be caught dead at a kkk rally or a neo nazi rally. The same can't be said about conservatives and republicans.

You can talk about what things were decades ago but it's what is reality today that counts.

All you conservatives have been told this a million times. All you have to do is look at who votes for republicans or calls themselves conservative and listen to them, way too many of them are racists.

The KKK came out and endorsed trump. The top neo nazi website, stormfront, endorses trump.

If you're so appalled with racism and discrimination then look at the republican party of today. The republican party of today is the party of hate, racism, discrimination and division. And lies. None of you can be honest about anything. You have to reach back over 50 years to find any racism in the democratic party.

I will point out that it was a democratic president who got the civil rights act and voting rights act passed through congress and signed into law.

If you don't like racism and discrimination then leave the republican party and never vote for another one of them again.

Oh, learn to spell and the meaning of words you use.[/QUOTE]

here's what you don't understand ... dems are liberals thinkers .... liberals can and do change their ideas
...something you on the right just can't grasp ... where republicans are single minded they can't think or change their point of view
...its beyond their ability
Is that the talking point if the day?

I don't normally do this but spelling really does matter. I usually believe if you get your point across that's all that matters.

The word CONSCIENCE isn't spelled conscious. The word you spelled is used for a person being awake and not asleep or in a coma or put under drugs for a surgery. The word CONSCIENCE is an inner feeling that is a guide of one's behavior.

Seriously here, learn the english language and learn how to spell. You people don't use words correctly and it's getting very old.

I tried to read what you posted and am not surprised with your knowledge of facts is as bad as your spelling.

Democrats of today aren't the racists nor would they be caught dead at a kkk rally or a neo nazi rally. The same can't be said about conservatives and republicans.

You can talk about what things were decades ago but it's what is reality today that counts.

All you conservatives have been told this a million times. All you have to do is look at who votes for republicans or calls themselves conservative and listen to them, way too many of them are racists.

The KKK came out and endorsed trump. The top neo nazi website, stormfront, endorses trump.

If you're so appalled with racism and discrimination then look at the republican party of today. The republican party of today is the party of hate, racism, discrimination and division. And lies. None of you can be honest about anything. You have to reach back over 50 years to find any racism in the democratic party.

I will point out that it was a democratic president who got the civil rights act and voting rights act passed through congress and signed into law.

If you don't like racism and discrimination then leave the republican party and never vote for another one of them again.

Oh, learn to spell and the meaning of words you use.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for checking my spelling. I always appreciate the opportunity to improve my writing with due criticism. Thank you :)

Im glad you at least admit the racism that has historically existed and still exist in the Democratic Party. A good case is the recently deceased Byrd who was the grandmaster of the kkk. Wasn't bill Clinton at his funeral?

Thank you for checking my spelling. I always appreciate the opportunity to improve my writing with due criticism. Thank you :)

Im glad you at least admit the racism that has historically existed and still exist in the Democratic Party. A good case is the recently deceased Byrd who was the grandmaster of the kkk. Wasn't bill Clinton at his funeral?[/QUOTE]

After Byrd realized his racism was wrong, he consistently received high scores on his NAACP report card, as was noted by the statement the NAACP put out on his death. Here is a small part of that statement. The rest is at the link

"Senator Byrd reflects the transformative power of this nation," stated NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous. "Senator Byrd went from being an active member of the KKK to a being a stalwart supporter of the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and many other pieces of seminal legislation that advanced the civil rights and liberties of our country.

NAACP Mourns the Passing of U.S. Senator Robert Byrd | Press Room

One of the best political con jobs ever was the by the Democratic party convincing people they were the party of diversity while the GOP is old white men. You only need to look at the candidates in this election cycle to see its all bullshit. I mean for God's sake, Harry Reid referred to Obama as "light-skinned" and as having "no Negro dialect.". Reid is a racist piece of shit and yet suffered no political repercussions for his rant.

thats because their voters agree with him, esp. the white libs.

You would be hard pressed. Democrats don't like to read.
republicans can't comprehend what they read

That Putin is a vastly more effective leader on the world stage in terms of forwarding his nation's interests is not my fault. Facts are facts.
Of course he is more effective. He has no Mitch, no media except butt-lickers like Fox, and his enemies, the publicly known ones, tend to be "sickly". I get confused by what evidently seems so clear to you. You hate communism, yet admire it's tactics for maintaining it's leader's power. How is this model of leadership different from Stalin? You speak of the Putin style of leadership and condemn a slave-to-the-State existence in the same breath. Can you at least see why I get muddled?

Of course he is more effective. He has no Mitch, no media except butt-lickers like Fox, and his enemies, the publicly known ones, tend to be "sickly".

Clearly, Obama would be more effective without any opposition. Democrats detest opposition.

I get confused by what evidently seems so clear to you.

That does seem to be the case.

You hate communism, yet admire it's tactics for maintaining it's leader's power.

Where have I EVER said such a thing?

How is this model of leadership different from Stalin?

It's not. Your boy Barry would love to have such a deal.

You speak of the Putin style of leadership and condemn a slave-to-the-State existence in the same breath.

Bingo.

Can you at least see why I get muddled?

You get muddled because you do not think. You simply react.

Im glad you at least admit the racism that has historically existed and still exist in the Democratic Party. A good case is the recently deceased Byrd who was the grandmaster of the kkk. Wasn't bill Clinton at his funeral?[/QUOTE]

Now you're lying.

I never said there was racism in the democratic party today. I said it was there over 50 years ago.

But then leave it to a conservative to lie.

And Robert Byrd was one of those democrats over 50 years ago who WAS racist.

People change. So did Robert Byrd.

He came out and denounced racism. He changed and by the time he died he wasn't a racist. He had not participated in any racists organizations in over 50 years.

Stop lying. No matter what you say, everyone who has more than 2 working brain cells knows that Robert Byrd changed. Everyone knows that the democratic party has changed.

You're only doing this to deflect from the racism in the republican party which is running rampant and wild.

If you have to point fingers at others and lie what does it say about you and your party?

If you have to lie to justify the racism in your party, why would anyone pay any attention you or what you say?

If you're ashamed of the republican party then leave that party and support people who aren't racists.

Im glad you at least admit the racism that has historically existed and still exist in the Democratic Party. A good case is the recently deceased Byrd who was the grandmaster of the kkk. Wasn't bill Clinton at his funeral?

There's no such thing as a "grandmaster" in the Klan. You're thinking of rap music.

Byrd was a member, in the '40s before he ever ran for office, when the KKK was more influential, like several million people including one-third of the male population of Indiana (who incidentally ran the state through the Republican Party). Your nakedly puerile attempts at political hackery point-scoring is as bad as your pathetic command of the English lexicon.

And again --- racism is a cultural thing, not a political platform. Racists and anti-racists have populated both parties, depending on their interests at the time and avenues to power. As noted before -- a political party is formed to consolidate power, not to represent fixed ideologies. Racism traditionally was manifest most markedly in the South, particularly after the Civil War.

Concurrent with that the South was effectively a one-party state (that party being the Democratic) for the next 99 years, meaning that if you were a white racist in the South you were probably a Democrat, and if you were a white non-racist in the South you were probably still a Democrat. The Republican Party wasn't established there (Lincoln didn't even run for POTUS in the South) so if you wanted to run for Dogcatcher, you either ran as a Democrat, or you lost. Knowing they had the "Solid South" in the bag virtually uncontested, the Democratic Party operated as a bipolar entity, taking the votes of the racist conservatives in the south along with the non-racist Liberals in other parts.

Naturally trying to be all things to all people brought tensions, the Southern wing constantly whining about Liberals and splitting off occasionally to run their own candidates against the DP, which goes as far back as 1860. LBJ finally got rid of that bipolar coalition in 1964 --- which is exactly when Strom Thurmond did the unthinkable and became a Southern Republican, ending that 99 years of postbellum Democratic control.

Take your KKK inference above. Lots of pockets of KKK activity in the South, and consequently, probably Democrats as above. Meanwhile the same KKK ran the state of Indiana via Republicans, electing a governor and Senator (and doing the same in Colorado, also Republicans) as well as other offices in the West. Again -- whatever worked for the time and place. Because established political party machines exist to acquire power -- not to represent an ideology.

Want to see how culture and region trumps political parties in numbers?

Here's the vote on the 1964 Civil Rights Act (note "Northern" here means "everywhere else")

The original House version:

• Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
  • Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
  • >>> ALL SOUTHERNERS: 7-97 (6.7%--93.3%)
  • Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94 – 6%)
  • Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85 – 15%)
  • >>> ALL NORTHERNERS: 283-33 (89.6%--11.4%)
The Senate version:
  • Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%)
  • Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%)
  • Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%)
  • Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)
  • ALL SOUTHERNERS: 1--21 (4.5%--95.5%)
  • ALL NORTHERNERS: 72--6 (92.3%--7.7%)

Where's your pattern? Political party -- or region?

So much for your simplistic black-and-white ideas.
Don't trifle with superficial history. It insults the record.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back