CDZ How Can Mail-in Ballots Be Made Secure?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I think this is an interesting idea, sort of a puzzle kind of thing.

Andrew Yang suggested a block chain scheme for voting, but that penalizes those without internet access, so it wouldnt be Constitutional on those grounds, I think.

So I got my wife to spitball some ideas and here is what we came up with:

1) Because of the problem with ballot printing/forgery vulnerabilities the ballot would have to be requested by a resident of the state or municipality to show that they are a real voter. They would also list any adult residents that might live at the same address. Any application that has more than 6 adults living there would flag the ballot request for a phone follow up by the mail-in poll worker.

2) The information would be used to generate a seven digit confirmation code that would be sent either by registered mail or by email, but separate from the ballot itself.

3) When the ballot arrives, the fields are filled in on a bubble scan sheet with a blue impression carbon copy with it. The voter keeps the carbon copy. The voter also enters their confirmation code with the ballot.

4) At the precinct mail-in voting center, the confirmation code is checked as well as the count of ballots from that address. Screening is done well before vote day.

5) if there are any questions about the vote, the voter is contacted and asked to refill a second ballot with the same information, but a new confirmation code is sent.

I dont see how this can be subject to fraud or counterfeiting if the workers are honest and diligent.

There will always be a chain of custody issue with mail-in ballots/voting.

None of it can be trusted.
The use of checksums and separate routes of delivery can alleviate much of that.
In fact, they can't.

There is ONLY one solution. The vote is cast in such a manner that no other living soul can touch it and is tallied without human intervention.

That is the ONLY trustworthy means.

Andrew Yang suggested a block chain scheme for voting, but that penalizes those without internet access, so it wouldnt be Constitutional on those grounds, I think.

1) Because of the problem with ballot printing/forgery vulnerabilities the ballot would have to be requested by a resident of the state or municipality to show that they are a real voter. They would also list any adult residents that might live at the same address. Any application that has more than 6 adults living there would flag the ballot request for a phone follow up by the mail-in poll worker.

2) The information would be used to generate a seven digit confirmation code that would be sent either by registered mail or by email, but separate from the ballot itself.

3) When the ballot arrives, the fields are filled in on a bubble scan sheet with a blue impression carbon copy with it. The voter keeps the carbon copy. The voter also enters their confirmation code with the ballot.

4) At the precinct mail-in voting center, the confirmation code is checked as well as the count of ballots from that address. Screening is done well before vote day.

5) if there are any questions about the vote, the voter is contacted and asked to refill a second ballot with the same information, but a new confirmation code is sent.

I dont see how this can be subject to fraud or counterfeiting if the workers are honest and diligent.
you can NEVER secure a mail in vote,,,vote in person is as close as you can get to secure,,,

not to mention mail in vote in not secret and violates voting rights as well as leaves you in danger of retribution for voting for the wrong person,,,

every person receiving them should have a unique code on the ballot and have to verify their identity by 2 step authentication.

Who the person actually votes for need not be tracked to preserve anonymity

every person receiving them should have a unique code on the ballot and have to verify their identity by 2 step authentication.

Who the person actually votes for need not be tracked to preserve anonymity
There is a code on mail in ballots

But is that code matched to the person casting the ballot? Does the person have to verify his identity and eligibility to vote?

But is that code matched to the person casting the ballot? Does the person have to verify his identity and eligibility to vote?
There needs to be a code for the ballot that is unique and registered on a database run by the state, plus a separate code for the voter that is filled in with the ballot to confirm they are the right person voting.

The voters code should be some kind of checksum based on their information so it is unique.

There needs to be a code for the ballot that is unique and registered on a database run by the state, plus a separate code for the voter that is filled in with the ballot to confirm they are the right person voting.

The voters code should be some kind of checksum based on their information so it is unique.
OK I never used a mail in ballot

Thanks for the info

There is no way to 100% ensure that a ballot would not be tampered with. You answered your own question when you said “...If the workers are honest and diligent.”

Well, we already know that machine voting is suceptible to foriegn hacking, so any less hackable option is by nature already an improvement.

Fortunately there are already "laboratories of democracy"-- states that have been using mail-in for years, without any problem. Just copy what they are doing.

Or we can just keep doing what Utah, Oregon, Hawaii, Colorado and Washington do for every election now with no evidence of statistically relevant or significant voter fraud.

For the record, I am against voter fraud, and I encourage prosecution of actual voter fraud. But most cases found are usually more like these:

And in the few cases that do crop up in the Beehive State, he said, the culprits typically aren’t shadowy characters trying to skew election outcomes — they’re more often Latter-day Saint mothers whose kids are away on religious missions.
“They think, ‘Oh, I’ll just fill it out for him, and I’ll sign it and send it back in,’” Cox explained last week during a gubernatorial campaign visit to the small Box Elder County town of Fielding.

Mail-in ballots are just another Democrat scam for fraudulent elections. That is why New York sent them out with prepaid return envelopes: No postmark means you can't verify when they were mailed back.

Forum List

Back