How big was Jerusalem at the time of Jesus?

I'm always fascinated by Atheist Jewish historians who have to mangle the meaning of Hebrew works to get their "point" across.
And yes, I have had discussions with pseudo-intellectuals who use to hate it when I asked them for a Chumash.
Today, I just whip out my phone and they blow up and walk away.

Even that totally noxious, and disproved, Khazar hypothesis of Ashkenazi ancestry, began as speculation by Jewish scholars in the early 19th Century on possible alternative origins for Ashkenazim communities in Europe.

The Nazis used it to their advantage and anti-Zionist today will drag it out from time to time.

I'm always fascinated by Atheist Jewish historians who have to mangle the meaning of Hebrew works to get their "point" across.
And yes, I have had discussions with pseudo-intellectuals who use to hate it when I asked them for a Chumash.
Today, I just whip out my phone and they blow up and walk away.

Even that totally noxious, and disproved, Khazar hypothesis of Ashkenazi ancestry, began as speculation by Jewish scholars in the early 19th Century on possible alternative origins for Ashkenazim communities in Europe.

The Nazis used it to their advantage and anti-Zionist today will drag it out from time to time.
We have no idea how difficult it was to be a Jew in Europe.
The Jews who tried to escape their Judaism ignored the last 2 chapters of Devarim.
God said, "Go ahead and try; it ain't happening."

Well, there was no "legion" stationed in Jerusalem in 66 AD.

If you bothered to read what I had posted, you would see that at least a few professional archeologists and historians disagree with your opinion.

So, as certain as you seem to be, if it's all the same to you, I'll defer to their assessment, not yours.

Right, as if we’d have any idea or capability to determine a city’s population from 2,000 years ago within a few hundred people.

Archaeologist can tell a lot..
They don’t know a lot more than they claim to know. They look at fragments of a past culture. No one knows the real history.

Have you been to Jerusalem.. The old city is quite small. They didn't have enough water and the land is very stony.. The north around Galilee and the Decapolis was more prosperous.
So what exactly are you trying to get at?

I follow Israeli archaeologist pretty closely for the past 40 years.. I have been to Jordan and Palestine several times so it interests me .Everything in the OT is exaggerated...
Everything in the OT is exaggerated
Prove it.

By the way, have you read the last 2 chapters of Deuteronomy?

Of course. Why? Do you think Moses wrote the Pentateuch? There are a number of doublets in the stories because Israel and Judah had different accounts that were cobbled together about the time of King Omri... and the origins of those stories are older from Sumer and the north Coast Canaanites. It doesn't diminish the value or the truth of the stories. But, they aren't history.
There are a number of doublets in the stories because Israel and Judah
Proof?
Link?

and the origins of those stories are older from Sumer and the north Coast Canaanites
What makes you so certain other than your hatred of religion?
How do you know he hates religion? I didn't get that from him/her.
Definitely a touch of superiority going on.
No more so than any one else who has conviction of belief. You and I do the same. I would expect anyone with conviction of belief to come off as confident in their beliefs. He's not acting like many of the assholes I see on the forum. And I see lots of assholes on this forum everyday.
Too many non-facts or generalities being expressed.
I have learned to keep my mouth shut until I consult someone whos knows the subject.
But they have to prove they know the subject.
You wouldn't believe the way people fake their way through Tanakh.

I have a very scholarly Jewish friend who helps me understand the Tanakh.. Its different than the Christian OT and IMO we get a lot of things dead wrong. I have a Muslim friend, a judge, who speaks and reads Amharic, Hebrew and Arabic.. and another who was a Catholic Chaplin. These guys are smart and very cool.

Well, there was no "legion" stationed in Jerusalem in 66 AD.

If you bothered to read what I had posted, you would see that at least a few professional archeologists and historians disagree with your opinion.

So, as certain as you seem to be, if it's all the same to you, I'll defer to their assessment, not yours.

I would recommend Israel Finklestein.

Everyone fought with the Roman Army to gain Roman citizenship .... to include Greeks, Syrians, Egyptians and others.

Last edited:
Right, as if we’d have any idea or capability to determine a city’s population from 2,000 years ago within a few hundred people.

They don’t know a lot more than they claim to know. They look at fragments of a past culture. No one knows the real history.

Have you been to Jerusalem.. The old city is quite small. They didn't have enough water and the land is very stony.. The north around Galilee and the Decapolis was more prosperous.

I follow Israeli archaeologist pretty closely for the past 40 years.. I have been to Jordan and Palestine several times so it interests me .Everything in the OT is exaggerated...
Prove it.

Of course. Why? Do you think Moses wrote the Pentateuch? There are a number of doublets in the stories because Israel and Judah had different accounts that were cobbled together about the time of King Omri... and the origins of those stories are older from Sumer and the north Coast Canaanites. It doesn't diminish the value or the truth of the stories. But, they aren't history.
Proof?
Link?

and the origins of those stories are older from Sumer and the north Coast Canaanites
No more so than any one else who has conviction of belief. You and I do the same. I would expect anyone with conviction of belief to come off as confident in their beliefs. He's not acting like many of the assholes I see on the forum. And I see lots of assholes on this forum everyday.
I have learned to keep my mouth shut until I consult someone whos knows the subject.

I have a very scholarly Jewish friend who helps me understand the Tanakh.. Its different than the Christian OT and IMO we get a lot of things dead wrong. I have a Muslim friend, a judge, who speaks and reads Amharic, Hebrew and Arabic.. and another who was a Catholic Chaplin. These guys are smart and very cool.
You probably realize by now you have to study Tanakh in Hebrew...translations just won't do it.
I hope you pay attention to every word, it's prefix and suffix and it's context within the verse.
You also know that the verses and chapters are artificial so the Church could argue with the Rabbis.
Heck, I'm still learning nuances after 50 years.

I totally get assimilation to that degree in Europe. Even Europe today is just one Reichstag Fire away from making up train schedules.

When I see it in America, I'm a little less inclined to be forgiving.

Jew-ashamed-Israel.jpg

I totally get assimilation to that degree in Europe. Even Europe today is just one Reichstag Fire away from making up train schedules.

When I see it in America, I'm a little less inclined to be forgiving.

View attachment 449921
My relatives are in this category.
What assuages me is that my relatives, in general, have the IQ of a pile of dogshit.

Prove it.

Proof?
Link?

You probably realize by now you have to study Tanakh in Hebrew...translations just won't do it.
I hope you pay attention to every word, it's prefix and suffix and it's context within the verse.
You also know that the verses and chapters are artificial so the Church could argue with the Rabbis.

Don't be silly.. I'm not going to read it in Hebrew... Yes I know the verses and chapters are different.

Geva estimates the population of the city during this period at between 500 and 700 “at most.”
That would be the government, main shopkeepers, business owners and privileged ladies and gentlemen of the court. Not including the workers or the general population or the suburbs.

Geva estimates the population of the city during this period at between 500 and 700 “at most.”
That would be the government, main shopkeepers, business owners and privileged ladies and gentlemen of the court. Not including the workers or the general population or the suburbs.

They closed the big gates of Jerusalem at dusk because of brigands. The little gated doors within the large gates couldn't accommodate pack animals. The countryside wasn't really safe.

Prove it.

Proof?
Link?

Don't be silly.. I'm not going to read it in Hebrew... Yes I know the verses and chapters are different.
Very different.
What is the relationship between Tanakh and the findings and theories of an archeologist?

Prove it.

Proof?
Link?

Very different.
What is the relationship between Tanakh and the findings and theories of an archeologist?

NOt different from archaeology ..Different from what Christians are taught.. Offhand I would say Hosea, Jeremiah and Isaiah.. I don't think Christians should fiddle with scripture.. It causes too much confusion.

Prove it.

Proof?
Link?

Very different.

NOt different from archaeology ..Different from what Christians are taught.. Offhand I would say Hosea, Jeremiah and Isaiah.. I don't think Christians should fiddle with scripture.. It causes too much confusion.
Christians are never taught in context.
Everything is a cherry picked verse.
I have yet to meet a Christian who has ever read Tanakh starting from Genesis 1:1.

Why does the population of Judea matter 2,000 years ago?

Prove it.

Proof?
Link?

Very different.

I have yet to meet a Christian who has ever read Tanakh starting from Genesis 1:1.
Dude, you read Genesis literally. I don't believe you should be throwing rocks at anyone's understanding of the Bible.

Prove it.

Proof?
Link?

Very different.

Dude, you read Genesis literally. I don't believe you should be throwing rocks at anyone's understanding of the Bible.
you read Genesis literally

Give me an example.
I have several hundred books on Chumash and I can interpret Genesis 1:1 in about 100 ways; more if I contemplate.

Prove it.

Proof?
Link?

Very different.

Lots of Christians have read the bible from cover to cover, but it isn't exactly linear to begin with.

Prove it.

Proof?
Link?

Very different.

Lots of Christians have read the bible from cover to cover, but it isn't exactly linear to begin with.
Translations are useless.
I never understood why Greek classics couldn't be appreciated in English until I was in my 20s.
When I read an English Bible I literally want to vomit.

it isn't exactly linear
Many of the verses and chapters are not necessarily in chronological order, they are in moral order.
The Bible is not a history book, it's purpose is to teach everyone their purpose.

New Topics

Forum List

Back