Here’s the reason people tell me they want to buy an AR-15. And it’s simply ludicrous

C_Clayton_Jones

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2011
In a Republic, actually
‘Usually, the motivation for purchasing the AR-15 is simple: People want one because they want one. Most times, the person who buys an AR-15 comes into the store already knowing that they intend to purchase one.

I’ve pressed some customers about why they want an AR-15, but no one could ever come up with a legitimate justification for needing that particular weapon.

Some members of the tinfoil hat brigade have come up with the reply, “We need these weapons because we want to be effective against the government if it becomes tyrannical. That’s part of our Second Amendment right.” Personally, I think that’s ludicrous, but it has become an increasingly popular justification for purchasing a semi-automatic rifle.

[…]

If banning them outright seems like too extreme a solution to be politically palatable, here’s another option: Reclassify semi-automatic rifles as Class 3 firearms.’

I disagree with the article’s author about ‘banning’ AR 15s or subjecting them to the provisions of the NFA. ‘Bans’ don’t work, they’re unwarranted government excess and overreach and likely un-Constitutional.

But he’s correct about wanting to own an AR 15 to ‘defend against government tyranny’ as being ridiculous nonsense.

Possessing an AR 15 is a want, not a ‘need.’

And there’s nothing wrong with that; citizens are not required to ‘justify’ exercising a fundamental right as a ‘prerequisite’ to indeed do so.

As is always the case after a mass shooting or similar event, we see inane, baseless reasons contrived to ‘justify’ owning an AR 15 in a pathetic and unnecessary attempt to fend-off a ‘ban’ of such weapons where there is no political will to do so.

It's just an ugly deer rifle when comes right down to it. People who are not familiar with firearms go by the way it looks instead of what it is.

Is .223 and 5.56 ammo the same?

Image result for ar - 15 ammo?
223 rounds are virtually identical in size to 5.56mm rounds. This means that the majority of the time, . 223 ammunition will chamber and fire in a 5.56mm chamber and vice versa. However, the biggest difference between the two is that 5.56x45mm ammunition is loaded to a significantly higher pressure than .May 12, 2014

Last edited:
‘Usually, the motivation for purchasing the AR-15 is simple: People want one because they want one. Most times, the person who buys an AR-15 comes into the store already knowing that they intend to purchase one.

I’ve pressed some customers about why they want an AR-15, but no one could ever come up with a legitimate justification for needing that particular weapon.

Some members of the tinfoil hat brigade have come up with the reply, “We need these weapons because we want to be effective against the government if it becomes tyrannical. That’s part of our Second Amendment right.” Personally, I think that’s ludicrous, but it has become an increasingly popular justification for purchasing a semi-automatic rifle.

[…]

If banning them outright seems like too extreme a solution to be politically palatable, here’s another option: Reclassify semi-automatic rifles as Class 3 firearms.’

I disagree with the article’s author about ‘banning’ AR 15s or subjecting them to the provisions of the NFA. ‘Bans’ don’t work, they’re unwarranted government excess and overreach and likely un-Constitutional.

But he’s correct about wanting to own an AR 15 to ‘defend against government tyranny’ as being ridiculous nonsense.

And there’s nothing wrong with that; citizens are not required to ‘justify’ exercising a fundamental right as a ‘prerequisite’ to indeed do so.

As is always the case after a mass shooting or similar event, we see inane, baseless reasons contrived to ‘justify’ owning an AR 15 in a pathetic and unnecessary attempt to fend-off a ‘ban’ of such weapons where there is no political will to do so.
WhyUNeedAR.jpg

[…]

This, right here, is why, ass clown

OIP.CBQT1tJKxeWOdzLHoGg4PQHaE7

Theres a lot of people who collect different types of guns and that is reason enough. There are 10s of millions of Americans who own guns and by far, most of them are sane and would only use such gun for target practice or self defense. You could ban the AR-15, but then after the shooter uses a different type of semi auto rifle, you'll have to ban that too, and then the semi- auto pistol next.
Back ground checks would be much more effective than an outright ban and citizens should still have the right to carry. The problem with background checks might only be, they can be weaponized by politicians who want to do an end around not being able to get guns banned. I'd be curious to see what limitations would be in a background check.

Better yet, while all that is being sorted out, lets protect our schools in the right here and now with armed guards on campus.

Theres a lot of people who collect different types of guns and that is reason enough. There are 10s of millions of Americans who own guns and by far, most of them are sane and would only use such gun for target practice or self defense. You could ban the AR-15, but then after the shooter uses a different type of semi auto rifle, you'll have to ban that too, and then the semi- auto pistol next.
Back ground checks would be much more effective than an outright ban and citizens should still have the right to carry. The problem with background checks might only be, they can be weaponized by politicians who want to do an end around not being able to get guns banned. I'd be curious to see what limitations would be in a background check.

Better yet, while all that is being sorted out, lets protect our schools in the right here and now with armed guards on campus.
That helps but remember the mass school shooting down here in Florida. They had armed guards but it did no good.

It's just an ugly deer rifle when comes right down to it. People who are not familiar with firearms go by the way it looks instead of what it is.

Is .223 and 5.56 ammo the same?

Image result for ar - 15 ammo?
223 rounds are virtually identical in size to 5.56mm rounds. This means that the majority of the time, . 223 ammunition will chamber and fire in a 5.56mm chamber and vice versa. However, the biggest difference between the two is that 5.56x45mm ammunition is loaded to a significantly higher pressure than .May 12, 2014

Yes 5.56 and .223 are almost the same round. Many AR's can shoot both rounds.
And you really wouldnt want to hunt deer with either round. While yes it will kill a deer it's not really potent enough for a deer rifle.
The .243 is a bit better but for me the .270 is the right round.
Anything bigger is overkill.

[…]

I don't want an AR15

I want a fucking belt-fed machine gun. I am talking M249 SAW or M60.

Why? Because ye assholes keep saying we can't overthrow our out-of-control government with AR15s.

But, most importantly, because fuck you, that's why.

My representatives will agree to ZERO gun control or they will agree to get the fuck out.

The days of TEXIT are quickly approaching.

I don't want an AR15

I want a fucking belt-fed machine gun. I am talking M249 SAW or M60.

Why? Because ye assholes keep saying we can't overthrow our out-of-control government with AR15s.

But, most importantly, because fuck you, that's why.

My representatives will agree to ZERO gun control or they will agree to get the fuck out.

The days of TEXIT are quickly approaching.

I want an AR-15 to hang my socks on when they come out of the washer. Ive seen enough film to know the surprise attack always comes when the guy is pinning up the linens on the clothes line.

I don’t own an AR-15 as I am not a hunter nor do I target shoot rifles. I mainly target shoot handguns and being an old dinosaur I own more revolvers than semiautomatic pistols. I legally carry a concealed snub nosed revolver for self defense.

However I wujld buy an AR-15 over other rifles if I wanted a new rifle as the AR-15 platform is very adaptable. An AR-15 can be adapted to different tasks by the owner without requiring the services of a gunsmith.

***snip***

The AR-15 is tremendously flexible and adaptable​

If the AR-15 were a weapon that's suitable only for indiscriminate, spray-n-pray mass slaughter, then it wouldn't be so popular with police.

There is no conceivable circumstance in which a police officer — not even a SWAT team member — would need to mow down hordes of people. Yet the AR-15 is the "patrol rifle" of choice for modern police departments from Mayberry to Manhattan. And when you understand why police have adopted the AR-15, then you'll understand yet another reason why I own one.

The AR-15 is less a model of rifle than it is an open-source, modular weapons platform that can be customized for a whole range of applications, from varmint control to taking out 500-pound feral hogs to urban combat. Everything about an individual AR-15 can be changed with aftermarket parts — the caliber of ammunition, recoil, range, weight, length, hold and grip, and on and on.

In the pre-AR-15 era, if you wanted a gun for shooting little groundhogs, a gun for shooting giant feral hogs, and a gun for home defense, you'd buy three different guns in three different calibers and configurations. With the AR platform, a person with absolutely no gunsmithing expertise can buy one gun and a bunch of accessories, and optimize that gun for the application at hand. You can even make an AR-15 into a pistol.

Similarly, the individual members of police and military units can tailor the AR to a specific mission without the help of a professional armorer. Barrels can be swapped out, calibers changed, optics added or removed, and the gun can be totally transformed for every type of encounter, from a long-distance sniper shot at a hostage taker to a close-quarters drug raid in a crowded apartment complex.

So cops and civilians buy AR-15s because that one gun can be adapted to an infinite variety of sporting, hunting, and use-of-force scenarios by an amateur with a few simple tools. An AR-15 owner doesn't have to buy and maintain a separate gun for each application, nor does she need a professional gunsmith to make modifications and customizations. In this respect, the AR-15 is basically a giant Lego kit for grownups.

I don’t own an AR-15 as I am not a hunter nor do I target shoot rifles. I mainly target shoot handguns and being an old dinosaur I own more revolvers than semiautomatic pistols. I legally carry a concealed snub nosed revolver for self defense.

However I wujld buy an AR-15 over other rifles if I wanted a new rifle as the AR-15 platform is very adaptable. An AR-15 can be adapted to different tasks by the owner without requiring the services of a gunsmith.

***snip***

The AR-15 is tremendously flexible and adaptable

If the AR-15 were a weapon that's suitable only for indiscriminate, spray-n-pray mass slaughter, then it wouldn't be so popular with police.

There is no conceivable circumstance in which a police officer — not even a SWAT team member — would need to mow down hordes of people. Yet the AR-15 is the "patrol rifle" of choice for modern police departments from Mayberry to Manhattan. And when you understand why police have adopted the AR-15, then you'll understand yet another reason why I own one.

The AR-15 is less a model of rifle than it is an open-source, modular weapons platform that can be customized for a whole range of applications, from varmint control to taking out 500-pound feral hogs to urban combat. Everything about an individual AR-15 can be changed with aftermarket parts — the caliber of ammunition, recoil, range, weight, length, hold and grip, and on and on.

In the pre-AR-15 era, if you wanted a gun for shooting little groundhogs, a gun for shooting giant feral hogs, and a gun for home defense, you'd buy three different guns in three different calibers and configurations. With the AR platform, a person with absolutely no gunsmithing expertise can buy one gun and a bunch of accessories, and optimize that gun for the application at hand. You can even make an AR-15 into a pistol.

Similarly, the individual members of police and military units can tailor the AR to a specific mission without the help of a professional armorer. Barrels can be swapped out, calibers changed, optics added or removed, and the gun can be totally transformed for every type of encounter, from a long-distance sniper shot at a hostage taker to a close-quarters drug raid in a crowded apartment complex.

So cops and civilians buy AR-15s because that one gun can be adapted to an infinite variety of sporting, hunting, and use-of-force scenarios by an amateur with a few simple tools. An AR-15 owner doesn't have to buy and maintain a separate gun for each application, nor does she need a professional gunsmith to make modifications and customizations. In this respect, the AR-15 is basically a giant Lego kit for grownups.

OH NO, you cant be right! all the lefty dems here will tell you that the people going out and buying AR-15s are doing it because they want to be Rambo. Of course a lot of them dont know the first thing about guns.
Informative post .

OH NO, you cant be right! all the lefty dems here will tell you that the people going out and buying AR-15s are doing it because they want to be Rambo. Of course a lot of them dont know the first thing about guns.
Informative post .
Liberals often say the AR-15 is a super powerful weapon. For example …

The sad part is many liberals believe such bullshit when told by an elected Democrat. They can’t believe a Democrat would lie like that and will tell you only Republicans lie.

Thats a damn lie

AR-15 owners know exactly why they want one

Clueless lib quote of the day:

they all appear to be armed”

“And there does not appear to be any burning and looting where they are”

Gee, I wonder why?

That helps but remember the mass school shooting down here in Florida. They had armed guards but it did no good.

No, they didn’t have armed guards.

Parkland had one police resource officer for 10-12 buildings on the campus……..and when the shooting started he left the building he was in.

[…]

Because it's called the Bill of Rights, not the bill of needs. Then there is that shall not be infringed part. Leftists have never very good at comprehension, just over excited emotional bullshit artists, whose world view is blocked by their ass.

I don't need to articulate a reason to own one. All I need is the correct amount of cash and be legally able to own. All the hyperbole of the left is just oral diarrhea.

Liberals often say the AR-15 is a super powerful weapon. For example …

The sad part is many liberals believe such bullshit when told by an elected Democrat. They can’t believe a Democrat would lie like that and will tell you only Republicans lie.
Shiela Jackass Lee is dumber than your average liberal which is pretty dumb and uninformed. She also asked if Rover could turn around and take a picture of the flag the astronauts left on Mars.

Forum List

Back