Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

#1 This isn't a band-aid thought process, it's reexamining how we view education in the long haul. It would take decades. And yes, just like prisons - the voters would not want to fund it because it means: (A) smaller classes, (B) more teachers, (C) more school infrastructure, and (D) higher teacher salaries..

#2 No, my plan wasn't tried 30 years ago. You yourself said it was a band-aid measure (my words not yours) to address "overcrowding and exploding class sizes" (your words not mine). My thoughts are about reshaping how we fundamentally view education in this country.

#3 Evaluating student performance and then providing resources to bring them up to defined achievements standards IS NOT illegal. Dude, I work for a school system, we already track performance and attempt to provide additional resources (often in the form of after school tutoring programs which associated "late bus" transportation). Try blowing that smoke elsewhere.

#4 Half the time, IMHO, it isn't Johnny that needs his ass beaten, it's Johnny's parents that think their little brat can do no wrong.

#5 Oh and "Data driven" - there you go. LOL.

WW
Your plan WAS tried 30 years ago. Overcrowding was just one of many reasons it was tried. Please quote where I said it was a band-aid.

Evaluating student performance and then providing resources to bring them is what teachers do every day. That is NOT tracking!

Tracking was outlawed because schools were collecting all the low performers together and putting forth the bare minimum effort to educate them.

Being a bus driver is working for a school system too. Why are you so hesitant to say what you do? If what you say is true, I would suggest talking to your principal or guidance counselors to confirm the meaning of "tracking".

Your plan WAS tried 30 years ago. Overcrowding was just one of many reasons it was tried. Please quote where I said it was a band-aid.

Please read my post I specifically said "band-aid measure (my words not yours)".

Question. 30-years ago was the system setup that teachers were 12-month employees, not longer working 180-200 days but full year at 250+. There time off was the government by accrued vacation? Was the system designed around primary semesters with dedicated remedial semester for those falling behind? Having examined "year round" school options in the past (which as you said mostly failed), they DID not move to a 12-month work schedule. They simply split the existing 9-month schedule into chunks. So a 200 day contract teacher was still a 200 day contract teacher, the only thing that changed splitting the scheduled days.

Evaluating student performance and then providing resources to bring them is what teachers do every day. That is NOT tracking!

Tracking was outlawed because schools were collecting all the low performers together and putting forth the bare minimum effort to educate them.

Correct, we are in agreement.

You are the one that brought up "Tracking" in post #520 (which has nothing to do with my post), it appeared to be a strawman that you used to attempt to then disparage me with as not knowing that "tracking" was illegal. Yes, tracking for the strawman argument is bad, data driven feedback to improve achievement is not.

Being a bus driver is working for a school system too. Why are you so hesitant to say what you do? If what you say is true, I would suggest talking to your principal or guidance counselors to confirm the meaning of "tracking".

Who said I was hesitant to say what I do? You just have to ask.

I'm retired Navy, earned a Master Degree in Education, certified to teach in the CTE area. Spent a number of years in the private sector. Now work as in Information Systems Administrator for a School system dealing with the reporting of student and employee data to the State Department of Education (one of many areas for which I have full or partial reporting responsibility).

I don't work for a Principal or Guidance Counselor. And yes, I know about "tracking".

WW

Sad to see teachers so disrespected and demonized by the right. Certainly wasn’t the case when I was growing.

MYTH: Teachers work less than other professionals

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average length of an American school day is just over 6.5 hours. But teachers work much longer than that.

Kristen Emanuel, a 7th grade teacher in New York City, said she regularly works 11 hours a day. Nine of those are spent at school.

More than 3.5 million full-time teachers in the United States are required to work 38.2 hours a week on average, according to the NCES. But when taking into account all other school-related activities teachers participate in – like after school conferences, staff meetings and extracurricular programs – they actually end up working 53.3 hours during a typical work week.

For most other professions, a typical American work week in 2017 was 42.3 hours, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

These teachers work up to 6 jobs. Now they're fed up and ready to walk out

Emanuel stays at the school late to work on lesson plans and prepare for the next day, she said, knowing it will be harder to get work done at home with her three kids.

When she finally leaves work, Emanuel makes her kids dinner and puts them to bed. “And the second they’re down, I start grading papers and doing lesson plans for the next day,” she said, adding she also spends 4 to 5 hours grading papers on the weekend.

“I love my students, but it’s also emotionally exhausting, physically exhausting and mentally taxing,” Emanuel said.

Leslie Busch, a special education teacher in Kentucky, agrees. “It’s not a 9 to 5 and leave-your-stuff-at-work kind of job,” she said. “You live it. You breathe it. It’s there with you all the time.”

Sad to see teachers so disrespected and demonized by the right. Certainly wasn’t the case when I was growing.

MYTH: Teachers work less than other professionals

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the average length of an American school day is just over 6.5 hours. But teachers work much longer than that.

Kristen Emanuel, a 7th grade teacher in New York City, said she regularly works 11 hours a day. Nine of those are spent at school.

More than 3.5 million full-time teachers in the United States are required to work 38.2 hours a week on average, according to the NCES. But when taking into account all other school-related activities teachers participate in – like after school conferences, staff meetings and extracurricular programs – they actually end up working 53.3 hours during a typical work week.

For most other professions, a typical American work week in 2017 was 42.3 hours, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

These teachers work up to 6 jobs. Now they're fed up and ready to walk out
Emanuel stays at the school late to work on lesson plans and prepare for the next day, she said, knowing it will be harder to get work done at home with her three kids.

When she finally leaves work, Emanuel makes her kids dinner and puts them to bed. “And the second they’re down, I start grading papers and doing lesson plans for the next day,” she said, adding she also spends 4 to 5 hours grading papers on the weekend.

“I love my students, but it’s also emotionally exhausting, physically exhausting and mentally taxing,” Emanuel said.

Leslie Busch, a special education teacher in Kentucky, agrees. “It’s not a 9 to 5 and leave-your-stuff-at-work kind of job,” she said. “You live it. You breathe it. It’s there with you all the time.”
A very good reason to find a different line of work. ;)

Please read my post I specifically said "band-aid measure (my words not yours)".

Question. 30-years ago was the system setup that teachers were 12-month employees, not longer working 180-200 days but full year at 250+. There time off was the government by accrued vacation? Was the system designed around primary semesters with dedicated remedial semester for those falling behind? Having examined "year round" school options in the past (which as you said mostly failed), they DID not move to a 12-month work schedule. They simply split the existing 9-month schedule into chunks. So a 200 day contract teacher was still a 200 day contract teacher, the only thing that changed splitting the scheduled days.

Correct, we are in agreement.

You are the one that brought up "Tracking" in post #520 (which has nothing to do with my post), it appeared to be a strawman that you used to attempt to then disparage me with as not knowing that "tracking" was illegal. Yes, tracking for the strawman argument is bad, data driven feedback to improve achievement is not.

Who said I was hesitant to say what I do? You just have to ask.

I'm retired Navy, earned a Master Degree in Education, certified to teach in the CTE area. Spent a number of years in the private sector. Now work as in Information Systems Administrator for a School system dealing with the reporting of student and employee data to the State Department of Education (one of many areas for which I have full or partial reporting responsibility).

I don't work for a Principal or Guidance Counselor. And yes, I know about "tracking".

WW
Thank you for admitting I did not use those words, despite your saying I did.

The teachers worked EVERY quarter and there was no such thing as vacation. Your time off was during the breaks between quarters. Yes, it was a 12 month schedule.

I respect your Navy service as I was also Navy.

I have to ask for clarification. You have a certification to teach in CTE, yet you never claim to have been a teacher, which is very easy to do. How many years did you teach? You realize CTE is not a core-content area, so you actually would have students who WANT to be in that class.

I eagerly await your response to try to understand how you can be so far out of touch with reality.

You realize there is a different curriculum for each subject at each level, right? You realize that a compilation of all curricula for any given subject in a district would be about as fat as a phonebook (if anyone remembers those), right? How many parents are actually going to pore through it all, point by point? You realize that the very great majority of parents are not educated, trained, or experienced in curriculum development, right?

In my district, any parent is more than welcome to go through any curricula they want. It's all online. Every parent gets a summary of the curricula of my classes at the start of each academic year. Available in several languages. Any parent can get a copy of my lesson plans for any lesson at any time. Any parent of any of my students is welcome to visit any of my classes, no prior notice required, and I make it clear I am available to meet with them and discuss their children's progress in class at their convenience.
I was an electronics instructor in the Air Force. We had something called discipline. If a student got out of line or was too much of a smart ass, we could just call his commander and he would end up peeling potatoes with a kitchen knife for hours.

I can’t remember one time that was ever done. It simply never was necessary.

I wouldn’t teach in a high school today. Public schools lack discipline, consequently teaching is largely a waste of time. To top it off many schools are “woke” and/or teaching fake history.

I was an electronics instructor in the Air Force. We had something called discipline. If a student got out of line or was too much of a smart ass, we could just call his commander and he would end up peeling potatoes with a kitchen knife for hours.

I can’t remember one time that was ever done. It simply never was necessary.

I wouldn’t teach in a high school today. Public schools lack discipline, consequently teaching is largely a waste of time. To top it off many schools are “woke” and/or teaching fake history.
You want to hear something really ironic? I enlisted as an Nuclear Power candidate and was elected as an electronics technician (reactor operator). While I was in my ET "A" (basic) school, I looked around and found several Chair Force and Jarheads also in the class. They were already "electronics technicians". To them, the Navy's basic ET school was offered as a reenlistment incentive!

You want to hear something really ironic? I enlisted as an Nuclear Power candidate and was elected as an electronics technician (reactor operator). While I was in my ET "A" (basic) school, I looked around and found several Chair Force and Jarheads also in the class. They were already "electronics technicians". To them, the Navy's basic ET school was offered as a reenlistment incentive!
Interesting. I remember a guy whose first tour was in the Air Police who reenlisted to become a electronic tech. He worked on airborne radios.

I loved my kids and they loved me. One of them even married my son!
Great Tory.

But since I lean "left" you continually put me down, as if I'm grooming students.
I'm sure your time in the NAVY made you a superior teacher / administraitor.

Airborne is Army! :abgg2q.jpg:

(My daughter is in the 101st Airborne)
My thanks to your daughter for her service.

Radios designed to operate on planes are called airborne radios. The guy I mentioned was an aircraft radio repairman.

Forum List

Back