Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

Yes well. Last day in my district is June 10th. Teachers return August 22nd. So we are essentially already there.

That's why people that claim that teachers work 9 months and get three months off in the summer are wrong.

Our classes are through mid-June (IIRC this year was 06/16) and teachers come back the last week in August. So it's more like 10 months because pretty much over teacher is onsite prior to the first contract day.

WW

I sooooo agree with this!

There are so many benefits, as you mention. First, as you mention, it treats teachers as professionals, all of whom work year-round. Second, since it increases their schedules by about 20% to full-time work, salaries would increase by 20%, raising the starting salary of “newbies” from $37k to $42K, which is close to the $45k* average of all college grads.

Then you have the benefit to the students. There would be the remedial classes in the secondary term for those who need it, and those who don’t could pick an elective - music, art history, etc.

This also frees up time during the primary term for the basic academics - math, history, geography, reading comprehension, and so forth - in which the U.S. has fallen behind other developed countries.

It’s a win-win. Too bad the teacher’s union would fight it tooth and nail.

*https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/College-Grads-Salary

As to the zip recruiter survey: does this also count college grads who couldn't get a job in their field and are working hourly jobs? I'm guessing so.

They can take music lessons after school, like I did. It is more important to have a basic knowledge of history than know how to play the piano.

I’ve been hearing lately how poorly educated kids are who come out of government schools, so I put it to the test last week and asked a 20-year-old the following questions:

1) When was the Civil War?
2) Who was president during it?
3) When was World War 2.

Her answers were:

1) The 1700s
2) Jefferson
3) 1912

Public schools are graduating total ignoramuses.

As the saying goes, by the way:

We taught it.

She was talking.

So you are saying that a student with a high aptitude in music should just let that go and instead memorize facts about history.

Americans have terrible ideas about education. Really terrible. Awful. They grew up hating school, they TELL me they hated school, but then they really think the best plan is to have school be the miserable experience they had.

It's unbelievable to me, but here we are.
Nope. If he has a high aptitude in music, he can take lessons after school or hone his talents in college.

We have kids who have no idea how our government works. All high school grads should have the basics.

I notice you skipped right over the fact that the high school graduate thought the Civil War was in the 1700s when Jefferson was president, and that WWII was in 1912. That is more appalling than a kid who can’t play the piano.

Nope. If he has a high aptitude in music, he can take lessons after school or hone his talents in college.

We have kids who have no idea how our government works. All high school grads should have the basics.

I notice you skipped right over the fact that the high school graduate thought the Civil War was in the 1700s when Jefferson was president, and that WWII was in 1912. That is more appalling than a kid who can’t play the piano.

People who have children would never live with this if they are any kind of good parent. You can say whatever you like in theory. Good parents will move heaven and earth to make sure their children follow their passions and talents, rather than sit in a classroom all day memorizing facts.

That's just the truth. It is why top districts offer IN SCHOOL options like art, music, technical education, etc. But if you have children, you can homeschool them and drill them all day on memorizing facts

As to the zip recruiter survey: does this also count college grads who couldn't get a job in their field and are working hourly jobs? I'm guessing so.
It also includes college grads with degrees in engineering and computer programming who skew it up. And remember - those averages are what full-time workers earns. In order to compare apples to apples, we’d have to subtract at least 15% to compare fully to teachers.

Listen, if you want to earn more money, you’ll need to start working full-time.

It also includes college grads with degrees in engineering and computer programming who skew it up. And remember - those averages are what full-time workers earns. In order to compare apples to apples, we’d have to subtract at least 15% to compare fully to teachers.

Listen, if you want to earn more money, you’ll need to start working full-time.

I have a better idea. Since teaching is such great money for such an easy job, go into it. Then you can teach kids facts they will love all day long. You will love it. Do it, what's holding you back?

People who have children would never live with this if they are any kind of good parent. You can say whatever you like in theory. Good parents will move heaven and earth to make sure their children follow their passions and talents, rather than sit in a classroom all day memorizing facts.

That's just the truth. It is why top districts offer IN SCHOOL options like art, music, technical education, etc. But if you have children, you can homeschool them and drill them all day on memorizing facts
Yeah, right….IF they had good parents, they wouldn’t accept that their high school educated kid is clueless about when the Civil War was, or when WWII was. But lots of kids do NOT have good parents, which is why public schools need to do a better job teaching the basics.

As far as homeschooling, these 20-somethings who don’t know even the basics are qualified to teach the next generation? Lord save us.

I have a better idea. Since teaching is such great money for such an easy job, go into it. Then you can teach kids facts they will love all day long. You will love it. Do it, what's holding you back?
My skills were elsewhere, and I focused my career there. Why do I have to be a teacher?

By the way, you are very much in a slim minority in your view of the arts' place in schools. In our district every time it has come up, the parents are solidly behind arts education during the school day. This is reflected nationwide. A whopping 91% of parents believe "the arts are part of a well-rounded education". 9/10 believe it's important that their child receive education in the arts.

My skills were elsewhere, and I focused my career there. Why do I have to be a teacher?

Well why wouldn't you? Cushy job for the $$! Tons of vacation time! Just make the kids sit in desks and feed them facts!

Easy!

By the way, you are very much in a slim minority in your view of the arts' place in schools. In our district every time it has come up, the parents are solidly behind arts education during the school day. This is reflected nationwide. A whopping 91% of parents believe "the arts are part of a well-rounded education". 9/10 believe it's important that their child receive education in the arts.

So you found an organization that supports arts that says parents say arts education is important?

i bet if you asked parents whether it was more important to know the basics of American history and government or know how to play the piano, they‘d all vote for the former.

What subject do you teach, by the way?

Well why wouldn't you? Cushy job for the $$! Tons of vacation time! Just make the kids sit in desks and feed them facts!

Easy!
Because I didn’t select my career based on whether or not I got the entire summer off. I selected my career based on my own interests and talents even though I would be limited to a total of three weeks off per year. I never even gave that part a thought: I knew that all professionals, except teachers, are expected to work full-time.

OR maybe it is time to privatize the whole thing, and be done with it. Here, parents, have a voucher, send your kid to a school you like. I'm personally not a fan of vouchers, but I get tired of the professional education establishment cranking out dummies and thinking they deserve a raise.

Yet you support the people who would slash education funding to give tax breaks to billionaires.

Why do you assume that is the fault of the teachers, whose policies are decided by administrators, school boards, and superintendents?

The state funds 90% of education. There not too many billionaires getting tax breaks in any state I have lived in, except those that have no state income tax.

She has no choice. Her union dues were deducted. I've belonged to unions. I have no problem with unions as long as they do what they're supposed to do. The Teacher unions in many places don't give a damn about education.
That's why they are called teacher's unions!

Do Teamsters require laws be changed in the design of their trucks? How about their warehouse workers? Do they get to decide about which forklifts their business buys?

Does the United Auto Workers have input on CAFE standards for cars and trucks?

Teacher's unions should have no input into education whatsoever as it conflicts with their purpose.

I have PhD. students (and a retired Computer Science professor) that are unable to separate trash and garbage from recyclables. Few know how to flatten a shipping box. Almost none know how to read the apartment building instruction notices. Most lose their copy of the lease within a day.

These are our future leaders? :omg:
What does that have to do with teachers? Not a GD thing, SFB!

My 8th grade science teacher worked for a landscape company during the summer. My History teacher worked for the city Lake Safety Patrol manning a telescope as a 'spotter'. My English teacher, who was an 'operatic' singer was involved in professional musical productions in the summer. This was back in the 1950's.
Thanks for destroying your own argument. You really are stupid!

Forum List

Back