Here we go: Democrat leader Pelosi and Schumer call for gun control in wake of Texas mass shooting

The problem are NOT the guns it is the people, especially a class of people democrats ignores over and over.

Have you ever bothered to examine the Demographics of the mass shooters?

They are nearly always on drugs and/or mentally ill, and amazingly often a democrat who does the mass shootings.

I have to disagree with your assertion that the shooters are often of one particular party but setting that aside, let's say your position that it's not the gun but the wielder of the gun that is the problem. What do you think is the best approach to making society safe until we are able to get a handle on those behavioral influencers?
Society didnt get here overnite. There are no quick fixes.

I agree.....so what steps can we start taking to move towards a fix?
Step one properly identify the problem
Every maniac has access to weapons that let him or her kill and injure dozens of people in a matter of minutes.

Ok, what next?

Try to buy one

When someone intentionally runs people over with a vehicle, democrats blame the perp.
When someone stabs a bunch of people, democrats blame the perp.
When someone detonates a bomb to kill people, democrats blame the perp.

When someone shoots a bunch of people, democrats blame the gun.
smh
There are reasonable controls on all those other things that keep incidents involving them to a minimum.

I have to disagree with your assertion that the shooters are often of one particular party but setting that aside, let's say your position that it's not the gun but the wielder of the gun that is the problem. What do you think is the best approach to making society safe until we are able to get a handle on those behavioral influencers?

Every maniac has access to weapons that let him or her kill and injure dozens of people in a matter of minutes.

Ok, what next?

Try to buy one
Non sequitur.

The quality of your posting has plummeted in recent weeks. Perhaps you should see a Dr.

When someone intentionally runs people over with a vehicle, democrats blame the perp.

smh
There are reasonable controls on all those other things that keep incidents involving them to a minimum.
Like what?

Ok, what next?

Try to buy one
Non sequitur.

The quality of your posting has plummeted in recent weeks. Perhaps you should see a Dr.

Proof

Ok, what next?

Try to buy one
Non sequitur.

You really shouldn’t be talking shit about the quality of anyone’s posts. The quality of yours couldn’t get any lower.
Just saying.

The problem are NOT the guns it is the people, especially a class of people democrats ignores over and over.

They are nearly always on drugs and/or mentally ill, and amazingly often a democrat who does the mass shootings.

Society is only as safe those who are allowed to defend themselves, taking guns away doesn't stop the criminal behavior of people, they will use other means as a recent killing in FRANCE showed when Knives were the weapon used. The reality is that Guns are not even the most common choice for murder anyway, from The Federalist:

Knives Kill More People Each Year Than Rifles: Time For Knife Control?

November 11, 2014 By Sean Davis

Excerpt:

"According to crime statistics from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), knives are consistently used to kill people far more often than rifles are used. And the numbers aren’t even close: five times as many murders were committed with knives than were committed with rifles last year.

The FBI statistics show that knives have been used as a murder weapon far more often than rifles — even those evil “assault weapons” we hear so much about — for quite a while. In 2013, knives or other cutting instruments were used to kill 1,490 victims. In contrast, rifles were the cause of death of 285 murder victims. Shotguns were used in 308 murders. In 2009, the ratio was very similar: knives were used in five times as many murders as rifles.

=================

Most of the serious crimes occurs in the large cities, the URBAN areas where large number of people congregate, which becomes a brew for all kinds of criminal activities.

Instead of more useless gun bannings, and restrictions laws, lets try preventing mentally ill people from being able to buy a gun, lets try preventing drugged up people from buying guns instead."

How come Democrats never focus on the people themselves, just the guns?

It seems all they care about are to ban/restrict guns, ignore the sick people who misuse them.

Remember this?

"Society is only as safe those who are allowed to defend themselves"

It sounds as though your argument is to allow one group of citizens access to guns while restricting that same access from another group of citizens in urban areas.

This is not a unique argument.

That isn't what I said at all, try reading this again:

"Most of the serious crimes occurs in the large cities, the URBAN areas where large number of people congregate, which becomes a brew for all kinds of criminal activities.

Instead of more useless gun bannings, and restrictions laws, lets try preventing mentally ill people from being able to buy a gun, lets try preventing drugged up people from buying guns instead."

It seems all they care about are to ban/restrict guns, ignore the sick people who misuse them."

=====

It is the Drugged and mentally ill people who are doing almost all of the mass killings, why did you ignore this?

It seems you are not here to debate honestly after all.

"It seems you are not here to debate honestly after all"

Where did you come up with that?

Let me get this straight - You bold insults about one party and expect honest debate from others when you've already established your bias. Interesting position..........

I am happy to discuss the issue. I grew up with guns. They were an important part of my family's lifestyle. I agree our leaders have allowed greedy companies to create an opioid epidemic that has contributed to the uptick in crime. I also agree that our leaders have ignored mental illness. Now what?

No what I posted are true, you have yet to ADDRESS any of it, which is why your empty replies making you appear disinterested in an honest debate.

I already talked about Drugged and Mentally Ill people, you didn't discuss it at all.

Here is what people especially democrats, since they go crazy over the rare mass killings that are predominantly happening in liberal controlled cities, every time we have a hyperbolic media scream over a mass killing, then those democrats rush the lets pass more laws against guns that won't work baloney. They NEVER stop to consider the entire picture, which are Media fueled since Mass killings are actually rare, and that gun murders are about 50% LESS than in the early 1980's.

It is the DEMOCRATS who are the bullshitters here since gun murders rate today are about 50% less than in 1980's while gun ownership grew by the millions with Concealed carry allowed in most states (meaning there are a lot more guns on the street NOW than in the 1980's) yet a huge DROP in Gun murders since the 1980's happened anyway.

You need to stop falling for the Democrats bullcrap on this topic!

Why don't you do some serious research, such as THIS article, from CFI

How Common Are Mass Shootings? The Nature and Frequency of Mass Shootings

March 27, 2019
Benjamin Radford

Excerpt:

"This is the first part of a three-part series examining mass shootings from a critical thinking and media literacy perspective.

With the recent tragic attacks against Muslims in New Zealand by an Australian white supremacist, the world once again turns its attention to mass shootings. It’s a subject that has captivated America for years, with little progress in understanding the nature of the problem.

The topic of mass shootings is fraught, not only with political agendas but also with rampant misinformation. Facile comparisons and snarky memes dominate social media, crowding out objective, evidence-based evidence and analysis. This is effective for scoring political points but wholly counterproductive for understanding the nature of the problem and its broader issues.

The public’s perception of mass shootings is heavily influenced by mass media, primarily news media and social media. In my capacity as a media literacy educator (and author of several books on the topic including Media Mythmakers: How Journalists, Activists, and Advertisers Mislead Us), I have in past articles for the Center for Inquiry attempted to unpack thorny and contentious social issues such as the labeling of terrorists (see, for example, my April 2, 2018 Special Report “Why ‘They’ Aren’t Calling It ‘Terrorism’–A Primer”) and the claim that “the media” isn’t covering certain news stories because of some social or political agenda (see my November 9, 2018 piece “‘Why Isn’t The Media Covering This Story?’—Or Are They?”).

In this three-part series, I will focus on myths about mass shootings in America specifically. My focus is not on the politics of gun control or criminology but instead misinformation and media literacy, specifically spread through news and social media (“the media” in this article). A comprehensive analysis of the phenomenology of mass shootings is beyond the scope of this short article series; my goal is to help separate facts from myths about mass shootings so that the public can better understand the true nature of the problem.

Specifically, in this series I will tackle 1) the nature and frequency of mass shootings, 2) the demographics of mass shooters, and concluding with 3) applying media literacy to mass shooting statistics. As with any topic, the best place to start is with definitions, so I will begin by taking a closer look at the nature and frequency of mass shootings"

Another senseless massacre and gun nuts start spouting........you are not allowed to talk about guns

Fine....keep guns away from those people
Stop protecting their gun rights
Throw them under the bus

the-rest-of-the-world-has-those-too-its-violentthe-rest-30985977.png

Another senseless massacre and gun nuts start spouting........you are not allowed to talk about guns

Throw them under the bus

2nd amendment

Society is only as safe those who are allowed to defend themselves, taking guns away doesn't stop the criminal behavior of people, they will use other means as a recent killing in FRANCE showed when Knives were the weapon used. The reality is that Guns are not even the most common choice for murder anyway, from The Federalist:

Knives Kill More People Each Year Than Rifles: Time For Knife Control?

November 11, 2014 By Sean Davis

Excerpt:

"According to crime statistics from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), knives are consistently used to kill people far more often than rifles are used. And the numbers aren’t even close: five times as many murders were committed with knives than were committed with rifles last year.

The FBI statistics show that knives have been used as a murder weapon far more often than rifles — even those evil “assault weapons” we hear so much about — for quite a while. In 2013, knives or other cutting instruments were used to kill 1,490 victims. In contrast, rifles were the cause of death of 285 murder victims. Shotguns were used in 308 murders. In 2009, the ratio was very similar: knives were used in five times as many murders as rifles.

=================

Most of the serious crimes occurs in the large cities, the URBAN areas where large number of people congregate, which becomes a brew for all kinds of criminal activities.

It seems all they care about are to ban/restrict guns, ignore the sick people who misuse them.

Remember this?

"Society is only as safe those who are allowed to defend themselves"

It sounds as though your argument is to allow one group of citizens access to guns while restricting that same access from another group of citizens in urban areas.

This is not a unique argument.

That isn't what I said at all, try reading this again:

"Most of the serious crimes occurs in the large cities, the URBAN areas where large number of people congregate, which becomes a brew for all kinds of criminal activities.

It seems all they care about are to ban/restrict guns, ignore the sick people who misuse them."

=====

It is the Drugged and mentally ill people who are doing almost all of the mass killings, why did you ignore this?

It seems you are not here to debate honestly after all.

"It seems you are not here to debate honestly after all"

Where did you come up with that?

Let me get this straight - You bold insults about one party and expect honest debate from others when you've already established your bias. Interesting position..........

I am happy to discuss the issue. I grew up with guns. They were an important part of my family's lifestyle. I agree our leaders have allowed greedy companies to create an opioid epidemic that has contributed to the uptick in crime. I also agree that our leaders have ignored mental illness. Now what?

No what I posted are true, you have yet to ADDRESS any of it, which is why your empty replies making you appear disinterested in an honest debate.

I already talked about Drugged and Mentally Ill people, you didn't discuss it at all.

Here is what people especially democrats, since they go crazy over the rare mass killings that are predominantly happening in liberal controlled cities, every time we have a hyperbolic media scream over a mass killing, then those democrats rush the lets pass more laws against guns that won't work baloney. They NEVER stop to consider the entire picture, which are Media fueled since Mass killings are actually rare, and that gun murders are about 50% LESS than in the early 1980's.

It is the DEMOCRATS who are the bullshitters here since gun murders rate today are about 50% less than in 1980's while gun ownership grew by the millions with Concealed carry allowed in most states (meaning there are a lot more guns on the street NOW than in the 1980's) yet a huge DROP in Gun murders since the 1980's happened anyway.

You need to stop falling for the Democrats bullcrap on this topic!

Why don't you do some serious research, such as THIS article, from CFI

How Common Are Mass Shootings? The Nature and Frequency of Mass Shootings

March 27, 2019
Benjamin Radford

Excerpt:

"This is the first part of a three-part series examining mass shootings from a critical thinking and media literacy perspective.

With the recent tragic attacks against Muslims in New Zealand by an Australian white supremacist, the world once again turns its attention to mass shootings. It’s a subject that has captivated America for years, with little progress in understanding the nature of the problem.

The topic of mass shootings is fraught, not only with political agendas but also with rampant misinformation. Facile comparisons and snarky memes dominate social media, crowding out objective, evidence-based evidence and analysis. This is effective for scoring political points but wholly counterproductive for understanding the nature of the problem and its broader issues.

The public’s perception of mass shootings is heavily influenced by mass media, primarily news media and social media. In my capacity as a media literacy educator (and author of several books on the topic including Media Mythmakers: How Journalists, Activists, and Advertisers Mislead Us), I have in past articles for the Center for Inquiry attempted to unpack thorny and contentious social issues such as the labeling of terrorists (see, for example, my April 2, 2018 Special Report “Why ‘They’ Aren’t Calling It ‘Terrorism’–A Primer”) and the claim that “the media” isn’t covering certain news stories because of some social or political agenda (see my November 9, 2018 piece “‘Why Isn’t The Media Covering This Story?’—Or Are They?”).

In this three-part series, I will focus on myths about mass shootings in America specifically. My focus is not on the politics of gun control or criminology but instead misinformation and media literacy, specifically spread through news and social media (“the media” in this article). A comprehensive analysis of the phenomenology of mass shootings is beyond the scope of this short article series; my goal is to help separate facts from myths about mass shootings so that the public can better understand the true nature of the problem.

Specifically, in this series I will tackle 1) the nature and frequency of mass shootings, 2) the demographics of mass shooters, and concluding with 3) applying media literacy to mass shooting statistics. As with any topic, the best place to start is with definitions, so I will begin by taking a closer look at the nature and frequency of mass shootings"

Thank you for the article. I'll take some time to read it.

As I mentioned on another thread, the "one up" strategy and actions of the politicians and leaders have helped create a bombastic atmosphere. It has trickled down to the supporters making it almost impossible to have a constructive discussion.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Throw them under the bus
We need to keep vehicles away from people who might use one to kill others.
We should keep knives away from anyone who might use one to kill people.
We should also ban everything that could used to build a bomb.
smh

Saying guns limit violence is like saying McDonald's limits obesity. Increase the availability, and the problems escalate.

So much ignorance, or maybe you like to lie?

America leads the world in guns per capita ownership, but not in the top 80 nations in per capita murders.

There has been about an almost 50% drop in homicide rate since the early 1980's, this despite a large increase of guns in circulation and having a lot more guns legally carried (Concealed Carry) on the streets, yet the homicide rate went DOWN at lot!

From Death Penalty website:

murderrate-2017.png

From Wikipedia:

Right_to_Carry%2C_timeline.gif

Vermont an UNRESTRICTED Concealed carry state since 1986, still has a very low homicide rate, which is well below the National average.

Last edited:

smh
Like what?
Cars require licensing and have mandatory insurance requirements and as well as operator proficiency testing and keys to keep unauthorized users out.

Bombs are illegal for everyone, that's why they are rare in the US.

As for knives, we have the same problem there as guns. Insufficient controls.

This is what elected officials do. These seize on ANY incident that can further a political agenda. It isn’t bound by a particular ideology or party.
Public safety IS what politicians are supposed to be concerned about dumb shit. They`re not seizing on anything. They`re doing their jobs.

Ok, what next?

Try to buy one
Non sequitur.

You really shouldn’t be talking shit about the quality of anyone’s posts. The quality of yours couldn’t get any lower.
Just saying.
That's nice of you, defending your friends posts. Or is he more than a friend?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

This is what elected officials do. These seize on ANY incident that can further a political agenda. It isn’t bound by a particular ideology or party.
Public safety IS what politicians are supposed to be concerned about dumb shit. They`re not seizing on anything. They`re doing their jobs.

Of course. There isn’t any partisan motivation involved.....

I have to disagree with your assertion that the shooters are often of one particular party but setting that aside, let's say your position that it's not the gun but the wielder of the gun that is the problem. What do you think is the best approach to making society safe luntil we are able to get a handle on those behavioral influencers?

Stop letting criminals out of jail for starters. Quit coddling them. Recognize that evil exists & that the right to self defense is evident. Quit punishing the law abiding for the law breaking. Expand concealed carry nation wide with full reciprocity.

How is that accomplished, what is there a criteria for identifying the problem, does it require a certain percentage of consensus?
Honest inquiry into whats different about todays society. Guns have been a constant.....no name mass shooters are new.

The capabilities and the performance of the gun has changed therefore guns have not been as constant as what you are suggesting. Of course, society has also evolved and changed.
No they have not changed. Goes to step one...honesty....tons of semi-autos came home after WWII and Korea and nothing happened …...

Who'd they come home with? That was a rhetorical question. We both know the answer - soldiers who were trained when and how to use those weapons not weekend warriors who just get a thrill out of having something so powerful. Soldiers knew the damage those guns could do.
Continuing the infantilization of America and solidifying worldwide-held beliefs that Americans are stupid, a Missouri councilwoman, Kelli Dunaway (D), was sworn into office with her hand on a Dr. Suess book. "Just because we've done things the way we've always done them is no reason to keep doing them that way,” she told ABC News.

America hasn’t seen anything this ridiculous since RompHims for men. In the same way rompers infantilized men, using children’s books to swear in members of our legislatures similarly reduces our vaunted institutions into a clown show. NOT SATIRE: Missouri Councilwoman Takes Oath on Dr. Seuss Book
And that was not the only thing different in them than "men" today. Forged in the Great Depression and Fifth Great Awakening.

Forum List

Back